Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath (UK Parliament constituency)
|Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath in Scotland.
|Member of parliament||Roger Mullin (SNP)|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath is a county constituency representing the areas around the towns of Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, in Fife, Scotland, in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It was created for the 2005 general election from most of the old Kirkcaldy constituency and parts of Dunfermline East constituency.
Along with Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, the towns of Burntisland, Dalgety Bay, Dysart, Kelty, and Lochgelly and the villages of Aberdour, Auchtertool, Ballingry, Crosshill, Glencraig, Kinghorn, Lochore and Lumphinnans make up the constituency.
Members of Parliament
The first Member of Parliament after the seat's creation in 2005 was the former Prime Minister and Chancellor of the Exchequer Gordon Brown, who had previously represented Dunfermline East from 1983 to 2005. At the general election of 2010, Brown was re-elected to parliament, but was defeated as prime minister, and soon resigned as Labour Party leader. He announced that he would continue to serve as an Opposition backbencher, and did not retire from the Commons until the 2015 election, which he did not contest.
|General Election 2015: Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath |
|Labour Co-op||Kenny Selbie||17,654||33.4||-31.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Callum David Leslie||1,150||2.3||-7.1|
|SNP gain from Labour||Swing||+34.6|
1 Comparison of majority not useful when seat changes hands.
|General Election 2010
Turnout: 45,802 (62.2%) +3.8
Majority: 23,009 (50.2%) +6.4
Swing: +3.3% from SNP to Lab
|John Mainland||Liberal Democrat||4,269||9.3||−3.7|
|Derek Jackson||Land Party||57||0.1||N/A|
|General Election 2005
Turnout: 41,796 (58.4%)
Majority: 18,216 (43.6%)
Swing: +1.9% from SNP to Lab
|Alex Cole-Hamilton||Liberal Democrat||5,450||13.0||+3.8|
|Steve West||Scottish Socialist||666||1.6||−1.1|
|James Parker||Scottish Senior Citizens||425||1.0||N/A|
- "Gordon Brown Constituency Website". Retrieved 26 June 2007.
- "Brown to remain as backbench MP", BBC, 13 May 2010
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "K" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- election result http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/topics/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&p2sid=10CC3530-AA3B-9CCD-63F538B9ABCE0DB5&themeid=2B892409-722D-4F61-B1CC-7DE81CC06A90 25Aug15
- "Candidates to be MP (PPCs) for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath in the UK 2015 General Election". YourNextMP.
- "Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath". UK Polling Report.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Constituency represented by the Prime Minister
|Constituency represented by the Chancellor of the Exchequer
Edinburgh South West