Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|College of Leather Technology|
|West Bengal University of Technology|
|Principal||Dr. Buddhadeb Chattopadhyay|
|Location||Block-LB, Sector-III, Salt Lake City|
The Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology, often called GCELT, is an institute in engineering courses such as Computer Science & Engineering, Information Technology and Leather Technology. The college is affiliated to the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology (formerly West Bengal University of Technology) and is approved by AICTE.
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology was established in year 1919 on being recommended by the Mutation Board after the First World War to use indigenous resources of hides, skins and tanning materials for producing leather goods and the development of leather industry in India.
It was known as Calcutta Research Tannery and was renamed to Bengal Tanning Institute in 1926. The institute became affiliated to Calcutta University and introduced a Certificate Course in tanning. In 1955, the B.Sc. (Tech) course in Leather Technology was introduced. The name of the institute was changed in 1958 to College of Leather Technology.
In 1999-2000, apart from the B.Tech in Leather Technology that it was offering, the college started offering B.Tech. in Information Technology and in 2000-2001 B.Tech. in Computer Science & Technology.
- Fresher's Welcome- The event is organized to welcome the 1st year students of our college. Usually 2nd year students organize it with great enthusiasm. On that special day, there is a cultural program with arrangement for lunch for new-comers. This end with the Dj evening and the whole event is restricted to only college students.
- Technical Fest - Enginerds- For engineering students ‘fest’ means more than cultural programs and keeping that in mind, every year students of GCELT with great enthusiasm and joy organizes its annual Tech Fest- “ENGINERDS”.
ENGINERDS was first organized in the year 2010, and from the very inception it received fantastic response from both engineering and honors colleges across West Bengal.
- Cultural Fest - Punormilon - PUNORMILON is one of the most important cultural event of GCELT with the get together of all the Ex-Students and Present-Students under the same roof. The event brings great joy and happiness with the sharing of feelings, ideas and thoughts of all the seniors, juniors and batch-mates. It brings colorful evenings with the sweet memories of past.
Every year a new committee is formed to organize the PUNORMILON. The committee contains members from all the streams and from present students as well as from Alumni. All the responsibilities of organizing the event is on the committee members. The events of PUNORMILON include Inauguration, College Performance, Tribute to Alumni, Rabinra Sangeet, Band Performance and also DJ.
- "State to name WBUT after Maulana Abul Kalam Azad". kolkatatoday. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "Official Website". Govt. College of Engineering & Leather Technology. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "Tech Fest: ENGINERDS". Government College Of Engineering And Leather Technology. Retrieved 5 September 2015.
- "GCELT College Reunion: PUNORMILON". Government College Of Engineering And Leather Technology. Retrieved 5 September 2015.