Asansol Engineering College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Type||Funded ; aided by World Bank under TEQIP (Government of India)|
|Principal||Dr M g tiary|
|Location||Asansol, West Bengal, India|
Department of Higher Education, Government of West Bengal
Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India
National Board of Accreditation.
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Technology|
Asansol Engineering College,(Bengali:আসানসোল ইঞ্জিনিয়ারিং কলেজ Hindi: आसनसोल इंजीनियरिंग कॉलेज),popularly known as AEC, is a self-financed institute (aided by TEQIP) situated in Asansol, an industrial city and district headquarters of Paschim Bardhaman district, West Bengal, about 200 kilometers from the capital city of Kolkata, India. It offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Engineering and Technology. The college was ninth best engineering college in West Bengal by Careergraph, The Telegraph (Calcutta) in 2009. The college has been repeatedly ranked within the top 10 engineering colleges in Bengal by other prominent authorities.
|This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2012)|
Asansol Engineering College is a self-financing institute established in 1998 to facilitate technical education in the industrial belt of Asansol by The Academy of Engineers. The college is a joint venture of the JIS group and the Techno India group.
Jharkhand and Bihar by train and bus services. It is around 200 kilometer from Kolkata, capital city of West Bengal. It is 8 kilometers from the Asansol railway junction and 6 kilometers from the city bus stand. Regular bus and auto-rickshaw services are available .
Accreditation and affiliation
The college is accredited to the All India Council for Technical Education and affiliated to the West Bengal University of Technology. The department of Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Electrical Engineering are no longer accredited by National Board of Accreditation. The college has a grant from the World Bank under Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme(TEQIP).
The AEC campus is located on Vivekananda Sarani at Kanyapur, Asansol-4. The NH-2 runs beside the campus. The campus is a cluster of buildings that comprises main academic block, departmental library, mechanical block along with a workshop, the new building comprising the state-of-the-art laboratories, central library, administrative block and separate hostels for boys and girls. In addition to this there is a privately run Xerox center and a Student's Canteen. It also has a private football ground, badminton court and centers for hosting indoor games for only the students living in seniors boys hostel.
West Bengal University of Technology awards degrees, B.Tech, M.Tech, MCA and BCA to more than 600 students of AEC. The undergraduate students at AEC are selected through the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination(WBJEE) and All India Engineering Examination (AIEEE).At any given time, the campus is home to more than 2,000 people: students, professors, and non academic staff. The cutoff rank for admission to UG courses is approximately the top 30 percentile in WBJEE.
Undergraduate courses in engineering are four year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) in Applied Electronics & Instrumentation Engineering,Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Information Technology, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering.
The B.Tech. degree course is based on a four-year programme with eight semesters. The first year of the B.Tech. curriculum has common courses from various departments. From second year onwards the students pursue their subjects of interest.The college is affiliated to the West Bengal University of Technology .
Postgraduate courses in Engineering are two year Master of Technology (M.Tech) in Electronics & Communication Engineering (intake 18), Electrical Engineering (intake 18)and offers Master in Computer Application(MCA)(intake 60).
Every year this college organizes its annual festival. The festival is divided into two parts - the cultural festival, known as Leganzza, and the technical part known as Infoquest.
Leganzza started in 2002 and is held in March. Students who are passionate about dance, dramatics, and singing, showcase their talent in the fest. Performances of bands such as Bhoomi, Cactus, Euphoria,Parikrama are held. The following are some of the events of Leganzza. 
- Glitz: Miss AEC and Mr AEC title competition,
- Stepz: solo Dance Competition,
- Rhythm Moves: group dance and couple Dance Competition,
- Chorus Buzz; Singing Competition for groups,
- Chords: guitar Jam Session,
- Treasure Trove: a couple event, hunting for hidden treasures through clues, across the city,
- Pratidhwani: battle for the Best Voice in Campus.
- annual celebration of kasar anniversary:cultural club anniversary celebration
Infoquest is held in February and attracts students from other colleges to participate in events such as paper presentation competitions, exhibits and talks from guest speakers. The following are the events of Infoquest.
- Create-o-model: Design,
- Exquiz Me: Technical quiz,
- Patrika: Poster presentation,
- Softech: C coding and debugging,
- Fifabots: play football with manual robot.
- Design-o-Festo: Design and problem solving using AutoCAD/CATIA,
- Robogeeks: Build and operate a robot,
- Cryptet: Puzzles,
- Cyber Raid: Gaming Competition,
- Techathlon: A quest spread over the college campus with technical clues,
- AEC the way I see: Video making competition about college.
Every year the college publishes its technical magazine TechNext, which publishes articles on science, engineering and technology from professors, guests and students.
Student life and college events
There are four hostels - two for boys and two for girls. Vivekananda Hall is exclusively for the first years, whilst the J.C. Bose Hall is home to the boys of the remaining years.There are too many hostel events : Hostellympic and Rishika memorial skit competition organised by kasar .
- MES: Mechanical Engineering Society is an initiative taken by the Mechanical Engineering Department, Asansol Engineering College, to provide a healthy platform for the students of AEC to showcase their talents in their field of interest. The society was formed on 18 March 2015. An initiative taken by some 3rd year students, it consists of 215 members. It aims at "Improvement of all, keeping in mind, Involvement of all". It provides a backbone to the sprouting ideas of the budding engineers. This society is run by the students and for the students, under the able guidance of Prof. Aniruddha Guha. It organizes various technical events, workshops, quiz competitions, guest lectures, industrial visits, and improving awareness among the students. It provides everyone with enough opportunities to broaden their restraints and burgeon their ideations.
- IEI: The Institution of Engineers (INDIA), a platform, famous for organising various events all around India in various engineering colleges. And also organises many events at Asansol Engineering College as Electronics Innovation... and different competitions along with providing exposer of various new technical developments via workshops. Makes it easy for students to organise events, workshops and competitions and providing a lifetime experience of event organisation.THE INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS
- SIC: Students Innovation Centre by being a member of this group, a student gets the chance to develop and research in the field of electronics and financed for the purpose by the group and department, which helps the students to perform general research and gain a deeper knowledge regarding the subject and help in advanced education.
- KASAR:the official cultural club . It gives the student recreation and a platform to grow in the cultural field .
- Kumara Swamy, V (11 June 2009). "10 Top TECH Schools". The Telegraph. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Asansol Engineering College". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Our Colleges". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Techno India Group, Asansol Engineering College". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Accreditation and Affiliation". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Leganzza". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Infoquest". Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Mechanical Engineering Society". Asansol Engineering College. 22 May 2015. Retrieved 14 July 2015.