|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Prefecture-level city||Huangshan City|
|Official name||Ancient Villages in Southern Anhui – Xidi and Hongcun|
|Criteria||iii, iv, v|
Hongcun (Chinese: 宏村; pinyin: Hóngcūn, lit. "Hong village") is a village in Hongcun Town (宏村镇), Yi County, Huangshan City in the historical Huizhou region of southern Anhui Province, China, near the southwest slope of Mount Huangshan.
The village is arranged in the shape of an ox with the nearby hill (Leigang Hill) interpreted as the head, and two trees standing on it as the horns. Four bridges across the Jiyin stream can be seen as the legs whilst the houses of the village form the body. Inside the “body”, the Jiyin stream represents the intestines and various lakes such as the “South Lake” (Nanhu) form the other internal organs.
The architecture and carvings of the approximately 150 residences dating back to the Ming and Qing Dynasties are said to be among the best of their kind in China. One of the biggest of the residences open to visitors, Chenzhi Hall, also contains a small museum.
Buses are available from Huangshan Bus Station. There are also buses from Tangkou Bus Station to Hongcun. Tangkou Bus Station is at the foot of Huangshan Scenic Area.
- 2017年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：宏村镇 [2017 Statistical Area Numbers and Rural-Urban Area Numbers: Hongcun Town] (in Simplified Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2017. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
341023101200 122 宏村村委会
- 宏村镇 [Hongcun Town]. 行政区划网站 www.xzqh.org (in Simplified Chinese). 行政区划网站/区划地名网站 (Administrative Divisions Web/District Geographic Names Web). 18 September 2012. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Ancient Villages in Southern Anhui - Xidi and Hongcun". UNESCO. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- "Xidi and Hongcun Villages". China.com. 2008-09-16. Retrieved 2008-10-08. External link in
- "Hongcun" ChinaTour.Net Accessed 2014-11-23
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hongcun.|
- Hongcun village official website
- UNESCO site about Xidi and Hongcun
- article on Xidi and Hongcun at china.com (in English)
- Hongcun travel guide from Wikivoyage
- information and pictures of Hongcun
|This Huangshan City location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|