Hopkins Falls, near Wangoom, in 1993
|Etymology||In honour of Sir John Paul Hopkins.|
|Region||Victorian Midlands (IBRA), Western District|
|Local government area||Moyne Shire, Warrnambool|
|⁃ location||near Ararat|
|⁃ elevation||338 m (1,109 ft)|
|0 m (0 ft)|
|Length||271 km (168 mi)|
|River system||Glenelg Hopkins catchment|
|⁃ left||Jacksons Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Salt Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Stony Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Mount Emu Creek, Brucknell Creek|
|⁃ right||Back Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Reedy Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Bushy Creek (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Back Creek, Two (Moyne Shire, Victoria), Chirrup Creek, Grays Creek, Mustons Creek|
Course and features
The Hopkins River rises below Telegraph Hill near Ararat, and flows generally south, joined by twelve tributaries including the Mount Emu Creek, before reaching its mouth and emptying into Bass Strait at Warrnambool. The river descends 338 metres (1,109 ft) over its 271-kilometre (168 mi) course. The river and its tributaries drain much of Lake Bolac; and north of Allansford the river descends over the 11–13-metre (36–43 ft) Hopkins Falls.
The Hopkins River is in extremely poor health with less than 5% of the river having natural bush and vegetation.
The Hopkins River Re-vegetation Project (HRRP) was commenced in 2016 by the Ellerslie Residents Group Inc.
Phase 1 of the HRRP project commenced in 2016 in Ellerslie. The Project is located between the Hopkins Highway bridge and the historic bridge.
Phase 2 & 3
Phases 2 & 3 of the project are planned to take place on the eastern bank between the phase 1 site and the Stony Creek Junction.
- Mitchell, Thomas (1838). "Three Expeditions into the interior of Eastern Australia". London: Boone.
- Reed, A. W. (1973). Place names of Australia. Frenchs Forest: Reed Books. ISBN 0-7301-0051-0.
- Bird, Eric (12 October 2006). "Place Names on the Coast of Victoria" (PDF) (PDF). Australian National Placename Survey (ANPS). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 February 2011. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "Map of Hopkins River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- "Map of Hopkins Falls, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 20 June 2014.