Albert River (Victoria)
|Name origin: In honour of Prince Albert|
|Regions||South East Coastal Plain (IBRA), South Gippsland|
|Local government area||Shire of Wellington|
|Part of||West Gippsland catchment|
|- left||Jack River|
|- right||Billy Creek (Victoria)|
|- location||below Madalya|
|- elevation||212 m (696 ft)|
|Mouth||Corner Inlet, Bass Strait|
|- location||near Port Albert|
|- elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Length||39 km (24 mi)|
|Waterfall||Albert River Falls|
Course and features
The Albert River rises below Madalya, on the eastern slopes of the Strzelecki Ranges, in a state forestry area. The river flows in a highly meandering course generally east by south, joined by the Jack River and one minor tributary, before reaching its mouth and emptying into the Corner Inlet of Bass Strait near the town of Port Albert in the Shire of Wellington. The river descends 211 metres (692 ft) over its 39-kilometre (24 mi) course.
- "Albert River: 9219: Traditional Name: Lurt'bit". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Albert River: 9219: Traditional Name: Lurt'bit". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Albert River: 9219". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- Reed, A. W. (1973). Place names of Australia. Frenchs Forest, NSW: Reed Books. p. 11. ISBN 0-7301-0051-0.
- Bird, Eric (12 October 2006). "Place Names on the Coast of Victoria". The Australian National Placename Survey. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 February 2011.
- "Map of Albert River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "West Gippsland Regional Catchment Strategy (2013 - 2019)" (PDF – 4MB). West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. 2012. ISBN 978-0-9805562-8-5.
- "Latrobe Catchment Ecosystem" (PDF). West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority. 2012.
|This article about a location in Gippsland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a river in Victoria (Australia) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|