Lang Lang River
Tobin Yallock Creek
Lang Lang River, as it flows near Lang Lang, viewed from the southwest
|Etymology||Debated; either in honour of an early settler named Lang. or from the Boonwurrung language name for the river.|
|Native name||Lang Lang Berin; Porbin yaluk|
|Region||South East Coastal Plain (IBRA), West Gippsland|
|Local government area||Cardinia|
|⁃ location||north of Korumburra|
|⁃ elevation||26 m (85 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Western Port|
|north of Lang Lang|
|0 m (0 ft)|
|Length||10 km (6.2 mi)|
|River system||Western Port catchment|
|⁃ right||O'Mahony Creek|
Location and features
The Lang Lang River rises in the Strzelecki Ranges in the East Poowong valley, north of the town of Korumburra. The river flows generally northwest, then west, joined by one minor tributary, before reaching its river mouth and emptying into the Western Port, near the town of Lang Lang. The river descends approximately 26 metres (85 ft) over its 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) course.
The river is fairly slow running and does flood occasionally with resultant disruptions to major roads like the South Gippsland Highway and Westernport Road and it can often leave residents stranded in nearby town Lang Lang.
The exact origin of the name Lang Lang is debated.
One explanation is that it derives from the Australian Aboriginal Boonwurrung language, in which there are two names for the river recorded: Lang Lang Berin, meaning "stones" or "stony"; and Porbin yaluk, meaning "flowing creek or river".
Other sources claim the river and town are named in honour of an early settler in region, called Lang.
- "Lang Lang River: 19260". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- Reed, A. W. (1973). Place names of Australia (1st ed.). Frenchs Forest: Reed Books. p. 135. ISBN 0-589-50128-3.
- "Lang Lang River: 19260: Traditional name: Lang Lang Berin". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Lang Lang River: 19260: Traditional name: Porbin yaluk". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Map of Lang Lang River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 7 April 2014.
- "Upper Lang Lang - Bunyip River and Westernport catchment". Water data: Rainfall and river levels. Melbourne Water. 2014.
- "Westernport catchment: Lower Bunyip, Lang Lang and Bass system". Water data: River health. Melbourne Water. 2014.