|Ligar River East Branch, O'Shannassy River East Branch|
|Name origin: In honour of John O'Shanassy (sic)|
|Regions||South Eastern Highlands (IBRA), Greater Metropolitan Melbourne|
|Local government area||Yarra Ranges Shire|
|Part of||Port Phillip catchment|
|- right||Deep Creek (Yarra Ranges, Victoria), Smith Creek (Yarra Ranges, Victoria)|
|Source||Yarra Ranges, Great Dividing Range|
|- location||below Mount Observation|
|- elevation||744 m (2,441 ft)|
|Mouth||confluence with the Yarra River|
|- location||west of McMahons Creek|
|- elevation||338 m (1,109 ft)|
|Length||15 km (9 mi)|
|National park||Yarra Ranges National Park|
Location and features
The O'Shannassy River rises within the Yarra Ranges National Park on the slopes of the Yarra Ranges, within the Great Dividing Range, below Mount Observation, approximately 80 kilometres (50 mi) east of Melbourne. The river flows generally south by southwest, joined by two minor tributaries, before being impounded to create the O'Shannassy Reservoir, part of Melbourne's water supply system. Below the reservoir the natural flow of the river is diverted via the O’Shannassy Aqueduct and then reaches its confluence with the Yarra River west of the locality of McMahons Creek. The river descends approximately 406 metres (1,332 ft) over its 15-kilometre (9.3 mi) course, before being diverted via the aqueduct.
The O’Shannassy River catchment is identified as an Essentially Natural Catchment by the Land Conservation Council.
- "O'Shannassy River: 22847". Vicnames. Government of Victoria. 2 May 1966. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Our history". Yarra Ranges Shire Council. Archived from the original on 9 September 2010. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
- "Map of O'Shannassy River, VIC". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "Port Phillip and Westernport Regional River Health Strategy". Melbourne Water and Port Phillip and Westernport Catchment Management Authority. Archived from the original on 31 January 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Catchment overview". Melbourne Water. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Rivers and Streams - Special Investigations, Final Recommendations" (PDF). Land Conservation Council. June 1991. ISBN 0-7241-9250-6. Retrieved 15 September 2010.
|This article about a place in Melbourne is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|