United States House Committee on Financial Services
|This article is outdated. (January 2015)|
The United States House Committee on Financial Services (also referred to as the House Banking Committee) is the committee of the United States House of Representatives that oversees the entire financial services industry, including the securities, insurance, banking, and housing industries. The Committee also oversees the work of the Federal Reserve, the United States Department of the Treasury, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial services regulators. It is chaired by Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) and the ranking Democrat is Maxine Waters (D-CA).
The committee was once known as the Committee on Banking and Currency. The Banking and Currency Committee was created in 1865 to take over responsibilities previously handled by the Ways and Means Committee. It continued to function under this name until 1968, when it assumed the current name.
- Resolutions electing Republican members (H.Res. 6, H.Res. 33)
- Resolutions electing Democratic members (H.Res. 7, H.Res. 39)
The Financial Services Committee operates with five subcommittees. The jurisdiction over insurance was transferred in 2001 to the then-House Banking and Financial Services Committee from the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Since that time it had been the purview of the Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises. But "with plans to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac expected to take up much of that panel's agenda, insurance instead [was] moved to a new Subcommittee on Insurance, Housing and Community Opportunity [as of the 112th Congress]."
|Capital Markets and Government-Sponsored Enterprises||Scott Garrett (R-NJ)||Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)|
|Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit||Randy Neugebauer (R-TX)||Wm. Lacy Clay (D-MO)|
|Housing and Insurance||Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-MO)||Emmanuel Cleaver (D-MO)|
|Monetary Policy and Trade||Bill Huizenga (R-MI)||Gwen Moore (D-WI)|
|Oversight and Investigations||Sean Duffy (R-WI)||Al Green (D-TX)|
- United States Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
- List of current United States House of Representatives committees
- "Chapter 5. Records of the Banking and Currency Committees". Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233). National Archives and Records Administration. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- H.Res. 6
- H.Res. 751, August 1, 2012
- Lehmann, R.J. (2011-01-20). "Insurance gets top billing on new House subcommittee". SNL Financial. Archived from the original on 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-27.