India–United Arab Emirates relations
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
United Arab Emirates
UAE and India enjoy historic ties with as many as 2.5 million economic migrant workers of Indian origin residing in the oil rich gulf state. Indians also make up the largest ethnic group in the UAE making up roughly 27% of the total UAE`s residents. These economic migrants over the years have also made a significant economic contribution to India in the form of remittances worth billions of dollars.
Commercial and Economic Relations
In 2008-13, India emerged as one of the biggest trade partner of the UAE with bilateral trade between the two countries exceeding US$75 billion. UAE and India are one of each other's largest trading partners. The trade totals over $75 billion.
Prime Minister Modi's 2015 visit after Mrs Indira Gandhi's Visit in 1981
On 16 August 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi began a two-day visit to the UAE, the first state visit by an Indian Prime Minister to the country in 34 years.Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi visited the United Arab Emirates from 16–17 August 2015 at the invitation of His Highness Crown Prince Mohamed Bin Zayed AI Nahyan. In a break from protocol which would have seen only Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah receive dignitaries, Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, along with his five brothers, was also present to receive Modi. The aim of the visit was to increase bilateral cooperation in energy and trade, and market India as an attractive business destination.
- "How India, UAE looked beyond Pak to forge a new partnership". 18 August 2015.
- "UAE and India sign crucial investment protection pact". Gulf News. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "First visit to a Gulf Arab nation: At UAE grand mosque, Modi hails 'peace, harmony inherent in Islam'". 17 August 2015.
- Desk, Internet (16 August 2015). "Path of terror will never benefit anyone: Modi" – via The Hindu.
- "Narendra Modi leaves for his two-day maiden visit to UAE". 16 August 2015.