International Federation for Equestrian Sports
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Affiliation||International Olympic Committee, ASOIF|
|Affiliation date||1921, 1983|
|President||Ingmar De Vos|
The FEI recognizes eight disciplines under global governance in both regular and para-equestrianism competition:
- combined driving
- show jumping
- equestrian vaulting
The following two disciplines are under regional governance:
Olympic and Paralympic Games
Jumping, Dressage and Eventing have been a part of the Olympics since 1912. Para-Equestrian Dressage has been part of the Paralympic games since 1996. Jumping has been part of the Youth Olympic Games since its creation in Singapore in 2010. For more equestrian information about the Olympics, the Paralympic and the Youth Olympic games (results, images, statistics), please visit the FEI History Hub.
FEI World Equestrian Games
The FEI has organized the FEI World Equestrian Games every four years since 1990. The idea of the World Equestrian Games (WEG) came into being in the mid-1980s and was strongly supported by HRH Prince Philip, who was then FEI President.
The WEG encompasses the World Championship titles in all the FEI global disciplines.
The FEI World Cup is an indoor series and takes place throughout the world with qualifying leagues leading to a final in each of the disciplines. The FEI World Cup series began with show jumping in 1978 and has since been extended to the disciplines of dressage, driving, and vaulting. Main events include:
World, continental and regional championships
FEI World, Continental and Regional Championships are held in all the FEI disciplines and age categories. Events include:
- World Eventing Championships for Young Horses
- FEI World Driving Championships for Four-in-Hand
- FEI World Driving Championships for Singles
- FEI World Endurance Championships for Seniors
- FEI World Vaulting Championships for Seniors
- FEI World Para-Equestrian Driving Championships
The FEI was formed in 1921 with the joining of the national organizations of Belgium, Denmark, France, Italy, Japan, Norway, Sweden and the United States of America. Today, there are 134 National Equestrian Federations affiliated with the FEI.
|Year||Number of |
There have been 13 different presidents of the organization. Major Jhkr Karl F. Quarles van Ufford is the only individual to have served twice. Nowadays, a President can serve for a maximum of two terms. Since 2014, the President of the FEI is Ingmar De Vos from Belgium.
|1||Baron du Teil||France||1921–1927|
|2||General Gerrit Johannes Maris||Netherlands||1927–1929|
|3||Major Jhkr Karl F. Quarles van Ufford||Netherlands||1929–1931|
|4||General Guy V. Henry||USA||1931–1935|
|5||Baron Max Von Holzing-Bertstett||Germany||1935–1936|
|6||Major Jhkr Karl F. Quarles van Ufford||Netherlands||1936–1939|
|8||Baron Gaston de Trannoy||Belgium||1946–1954|
|9||Prince Bernhard of Lippe-Biesterfeld||Netherlands||1954–1964|
|10||Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh||UK||1964–1986|
|11||Anne, Princess Royal||UK||1986–1994|
|12||Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz||Spain||1994–2006|
|13||Princess Haya bint Al Hussein||Jordan||2006-2014|
|14||Ingmar De Vos||Belgium||Since 2014|
- The FEI Code of Conduct for the Welfare of the Horse
- "Disciplines – Dressage – About Dressage". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Driving – About Driving". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Endurance – About Endurance". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Eventing – About Eventing". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Driving – About Para Equestrian Driving". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Reining". Fei.org. 2 August 2011. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Jumping – About Jumping". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Disciplines – Vaulting – About Vaulting". Fei.org. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- "Does Olympic horse-riding have a gender problem?". The Economist. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- "Americans Hart, Shoemaker & Trunnell Win 4 Para-Equestrian World Medals – For A Program That Had None". Team USA. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- "Equestrian". 2012-12-21. Retrieved 2018-10-05.
- "Olympic & Paralympic Welcome Page - FEI History Hub". history.fei.org. Archived from the original on 10 January 2018. Retrieved 4 May 2018.
- "FEI Championships". FEI. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Allen, K; Schumacher, SA (2015). "Chapter 26: Impact of FEI rules on sport horse medications". In Sprayberry, KA; Robinson, NE. Robinson's Current Therapy in Equine Medicine (7th ed.). Elsevier Health Sciences. pp. 112–115. ISBN 9780323242165.
- "FEI National Federation Members". fei.org. Archived from the original on 16 March 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2016.