All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna
|अखिल भारतीय आयुर्विज्ञान संस्थान पटना|
Official Logo of AIIMS-P
|Endowment||₹11.24 billion (US$170 million) per annum|
|President||Minister for Health and Family Welfare, Government of India|
|Dean||Dr P P Gupta|
|Director||Dr Geetanjali Batmanabe|
|Undergraduates||100 per year|
|Location||Patna, Bihar, India
All India Institute of Medical Sciences Patna (AIIMS Patna) (officially Jayaprakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences) is a medical college and medical research public university based in Patna, Bihar, India. The Institute will operate autonomously under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (India).Though the foundation stone for the ₹ 350-crore project (2004 estimate) was laid in 2004 during Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s tenure, the project was delayed owing to the power shift at the Centre and its cost has escalated from ₹3.35 billion (US$50 million) to ₹8.5 billion (US$130 million).The AIIMS, Patna, is under construction for over eight years. Its foundation was laid by the then vice-president, Bhairon Singh Shekhawat, on 3 January 2004. In 2004,Central government decided to set up new AIIMS at Rishikesh, Bhopal, Patna, Jodhpur, Bhubaneswar and Raipur The setting up of second AIIMS like institution in Bihar was announced in 2015 Union budget of India. Second AIIMS is likely to come up in Saharsa.
AIIMS Patna is spread over 134 acres, comprising the main medical college campus on 100 acres and residential campus on 34 acres. It is located in Bhusaula village, 8 km from Patna Town. The AIIMS, near Walmi institute at Phulwari Sharif, Patna started operating on 25 September 2012 after a series of observations by Patna High Court.
AIIMS Patna started its operations on 25 September 2012. AIIMS New Delhi, has been mentoring the two new AIIMS in Patna and Bhubaneswar, PGI Chandigarh has been mentoring AIIMS coming up in Rishikesh and Jodhpur, while JIPMER Puducherry has been overseeing the AIIMS in Bhopal and Raipur. Class of 2012 started in AIIMS Patna on 25 September 2012 with around 50 medical students had been admitted in AIIMS Patna. To start with, AIIMS Patna imparted training in four subjects to the 1st MBBS students– anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and community medicine. The first batch of students have completed their 41/2 years MBBS course and started their internship from January 2017. The institute also runs a 3 years BSc Nursing course, and has a separate nursing college building within its premises.
Patna High Court's directives on AIIMS Patna
In April 2012, the Patna High Court constituted a three-member core committee comprising representatives from the Centre, the state and the AIIMS to speed up construction work of the super-specialty hospital.
Shashi Bhushan, the financial advisor to AIIMS Patna had said: "The medical college is expected to start functioning from July this year for which appointment of professors is on".,but now the college will start in September 2012 and hospital by 2013. AIIMS Patna would be governed by the AIIMS Act till the Union government made a separate law for the upcoming hospital.The Patna high court on 18 July issued a directive that the doctors of trauma and emergency wards of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Patna (AIIMS Patna) join at Guru Gobind Singh Hospital, Patna City, by 25 July 2012.The court also directed the Union government to ensure that doctors of seven super speciality departments of AIIMS Patna are appointed and join their duty by 25 August. These departments include gastroenterology, cardiology, nephrology, pathology and radiology. Patna high court on 1 August 2012 ordered notional deputation of the Patna DM Sanjay Kumar Singh to the upcoming hospital as its deputy director/joint director/director of AIIMS Patna, till the central government sends a deputy director or joint director or director to take this responsibility. The DM will now on oversee the affairs related to the AIIMS Patna and its development as a super speciality hospital.Bihar government had released a cheque for ₹ 53.4 million to the Guru Gobind Singh Hospital at Patna City for development of infrastructure for the emergency ward and trauma centre of AIIMS Patna. The Patna High court directed the DM on 31 August 2012, to hold a meeting with the AIIMS Patna director and superintendent of Guru Gobind Singh Hospital(GGSH),Patna City, to set modalities of super speciality treatment at the hospital. This arrangement will continue till the AIIMS Patna is completed.Patna High Court ordered on 27 September 2012,to start round-the-clock construction of the AIIMS Patna hospital building by deploying more workers and other resources to ensure its early completion. Patna High Court on 29 January 2013 directed the Bihar government to constitute a team of auditors to audit the utilization of Rs 1.50 billion by M/s B L Kashyap and Company for the construction of the hospital building of AIIMS Patna.
AIIMS-P doubled the intake of students into its MBBS course to 100 in 2013 from 50 in 2012. Currently the institute has 56 faculty mrembers. The representatives of AIIMS Patna and UNICEF visited Muzaffarpur on June 13, 2013 and took blood samples of AES-affected children for test. AIIMS-Patna has collaborated with National Knowledge Network (NKN), which helps it in availing facilities like virtual classes and e-library besides collaboration in research and telemedicine facilities with other centres for higher learning across the country. In July 2013, AIIMS Patna developed a cellphone application – Sankat Sanket – to help people in medical emergency. On 26 December 2013, AIIMS Patna performed its first surgery. Some non-resident Indian doctors have joined AIIMS Patna. The formal inauguration of AIIMS Patna not yet be done. In May 2015, AIIMS-Patna launched health cards. In July 2015, AIIMS Patna launched free surgery service to leprosy patients. On 6 March 2016, AIIMS Patna made an attempt to register its name in the Guinness World Records by training 3,200 people in first-aid care at Siwan's Rajendra Stadium. The institute has started offering some state of the art services, like joint replacement, arthroscopy, cochlear implants, Interventional radiology, pediatric urology, laparoscopic surgery, hepatobiliary surgery. Multiple important clinical areas are fully functional, including pediatric and neonatal ICU, physical medicine and rehabilitation, post operative ward, high dependency unit, advanced radiology setup including digital X-ray, digital mammography, 4D color doppler, 256 slice CT scan, Biplane DSA (digital subtraction angiography). Some free laboratory tests are available for BPL (below poverty line) card holder patients. 3T MRI is going to start in Januart 2017, and the institute also has procured 150 more beds, which would take its total bed strength beyond 400.
All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012
The All-India Institute of Medical Sciences (Amendment) Bill, 2012,was introduced in the Lok Sabha on 27 August 2012. This bill will also replace a recent Ordinance which allowed the six AIIMS—like institutes to become operational from September 2012. Lok Sabha passed the AIIMS (Amendment) Bill, 2012 on 30 August 2012. The proposed measure will help the Centre change the status of the six new AIIMS registered under the Indian Societies Registration Act to be autonomous body corporate on the lines of the existing AIIMS in Delhi. AIIMS (Amendment) Bill, 2012 was introduced in Rajya Sabha on 3 September 2012. Rajya Sabha passed the AIIMS (Amendment) Bill, 2012 on 4 September 2012.
- AIIMS Recruitment
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Education in India
- List of medical colleges in India
- "The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood" (in French). Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Raj, Anand (20 November 2011). "AIIMS course to begin in July 12". The Telegraph. Calcutta, India.
- "Oct 2014: No takers for seats in AIIMS Patna, Raipur".
- "Bihar minister requests Centre to start Patna's JPNAIIMS session from September". The Times of India. 2 August 2012.
- Sukanya, Sumi (2012-05-25). "AIIMS progress upsets Azad". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Sukanya, Sumi (2012-05-16). "Six NRIs in first batch of faculty for health hub". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Budget 2015: More AIIMS, IIT and IIMs, Announces Finance Minister Jaitley".
- "MBBS classes begin at AIIMS Patna". Business Standard. Patna, India. 25 September 2012.
- Study, health cradles plod on slo-mo track- Bottlenecks in IIT, CUB & JPNAIIMS projects prevent relief to students and patients
- "AIIMS-Patna still faces birth pangs on second foundation day". Times of India. 4 September 2014. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "Six AIIMS-like institutes to start operation by mid-Sept". Daily pioneer. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "AIIMS docs land top job but have nowhere to go". The Times of India. 20 September 2011. Retrieved 20 September 2011.
- "First batch begins at AIIMS". Hindustan Times. 25 September 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Raj, Anand (31 August 2012). "Free GGSH from encroachment: HC". The Times of India. New Delhi, India.
- "Jai Prakash Naryan All India Institute of Medical Sciences starts its first MBBS batch,". TimesofIndia. 26 September 2012. Retrieved 26 September 2012.
- City doctor to head Raipur AIIMS
- 'Join Guru Gobind hospital by July 25'
- Patna DM to head JPNAIIMS
- "Patna HC orders round-the-clock work on Jai Prakash Narayan All India Institute of Medical Sciences". The Times of India. 27 September 2012.
- "Audit expenses of Rs 150 crore on Jaya Prakash Narayan AIIMS, Patna: HC". The Times of India. 29 January 2013.
- Anisha Anand, TNN (4 June 2013). "JPNAIIMS to double MBBS intake to 100 - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Encephalitis claims 7 more lives in Muzaffarpur - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 13 June 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Shuchismita Chakraborty (1 July 2013). "Share key to better centres". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- Shuchismita Chakraborty (15 July 2013). "New-age signal to save lives". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 27 September 2013.
- "Surgery at AIIMS-P to start today - The Times of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Shuchismita Chakraborty (2014-01-20). "AIIMS brings docs back home". Calcutta, India: Telegraphindia.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "AIIMS formal inauguration likely by Feb 10 - The Times of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2014-01-21. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "AIIMS-Patna launches health cards".
- "AIIMS Patna launches free surgery service to leprosy patients".
- "AIIMS Patna launches free surgery service for leprosy patients".
- Raj, Anand (27 August 2012). "Bill on AIIMS-like institutes introduced in Lok Sabha". The Hindu. New Delhi, India.
- Raj, Anand (30 August 2012). "Lok Sabha nod to AIIMS bill". The Economic times. New Delhi, India.
- "AIIMS bill moved in Rajya Sabha amid uproar". Business Standard. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Govt fails to get AIIMS Bill passed in Par amid din". IBNLive.com. 3 September 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Par nod to AIIMS Bill amid uproar". Business Standard. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "Gov Bill passed in Par amid din". indianexpress.com. 4 September 2012. Retrieved 4 September 2012.