March 18, 1931 |
|Spouse(s)||Ann Mollo (1956-1966)|
John Mollo (born 18 March 1931 in London, England) is a British costume designer and book author, most known for his Oscar-winning costume design for the Star Wars film series. He is the older brother of Andrew Mollo and Boris Mollo.
John Mollo has been interested in European and American military uniforms since a very young age and wrote several books on the subject. This led him to costume design, first being an advisor for the movie Charge of the Light Brigade in 1966 and later a costume designer, his first film being George Lucas' Star Wars in 1977. Mollo has also been a military advisor on the films Zulu Dawn, Barry Lyndon and Nicholas and Alexandra.
- Star Wars (1977)
- Alien (1979)
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Outland (1981) 
- Gandhi (1982)
- The Lords of Discipline (1983)
- Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes (1984)
- King David (1985)
- Revolution (1985)
- Cry Freedom (1987)
- Hanna's War (1988)
- White Hunter Black Heart (1990)
- Air America (1990)
- Chaplin (1992)
- The Three Musketeers (1993)
- The Jungle Book (1994)
- Event Horizon (1997)
Awards and nominations
- two Academy Awards
- three Saturn Award nominations, won one
- 1978: Star Wars
- five BAFTA Award nominations 
- three Emmy Award nominations
- Military Fashion
- 1991 reprint of: Uniforms of The American Revolution in Color. Illustrated by Malcolm McGregor. Stirling Publications, New York, NY, ISBN 0-8069-8240-3.
- Uniforms of the Seven Years' War, seventeen hundred and fiftysix to sixtythree, Illustrated by Malcolm McGregor
- Into the Valley of Death: The British Cavalry Division at Balaclava 1854, co-written with Boris Mollo, plates by Bryan Fosten. Windrow & Greene, London, 1991 ISBN 1-872004-75-X.
- "John Mollo Biography (1931-)". www.filmreference.com. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "John Mollo Biography". www.starpulse.com. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "John Mollo". IMDB. Retrieved 2008-01-14.
- "Official Academy Awards Database". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- "Past Saturn Awards - Best Costume". Saturn Awards.
- Awards Internet Movie Database.
- "Advanced Primetime Awards Search". Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.
|This biographical article related to film in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|