Sandy Powell (costume designer)
Powell at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival (2011)
7 April 1960 |
|Alma mater||Saint Martin's School of Art|
Sandy Powell OBE (born 7 April 1960) is a British costume designer. She has won three Academy Awards for Best Costume Design for Shakespeare in Love (1998), The Aviator (2004), and The Young Victoria (2009), and has been nominated 12 times for the award. She has also received 13 BAFTA Award nominations, winning for Velvet Goldmine and The Young Victoria. She won many other awards in costume design for the latter film. Powell is often associated with Martin Scorsese and Todd Haynes, having designed the costumes for six of Scorsese's films and three of Haynes'.
Powell left Saint Martin's School of Art in London, before completing her degree, due to offers of work from, amongst others, Derek Jarman. She was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2011 New Year Honours for services to the film industry.
- Caravaggio (1986)
- The Last of England (1988)
- Edward II (1991)
- Orlando (1992)
- The Crying Game (1992)
- Wittgenstein (1993)
- Being Human (1994)
- Interview with the Vampire (1994)
- Rob Roy (1995)
- Michael Collins (1996)
- The Butcher Boy (1997)
- The Wings of the Dove (1997)
- Velvet Goldmine (1998)
- Hilary and Jackie (1998)
- Shakespeare in Love (1998)
- Felicia's Journey (1999)
- Miss Julie (1999)
- The End of the Affair (1999)
- Far from Heaven (2002)
- Gangs of New York (2002)
- Sylvia (2003)
- The Aviator (2004)
- Mrs Henderson Presents (2005)
- The Departed (2006)
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)
- The Young Victoria (2009)
- Shutter Island (2010)
- The Tempest (2010)
- Hugo (2011)
- Suspension of Disbelief (2012)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)
- Cinderella (2015)
- Carol (2015)
- How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2016)
- "The Official Academy Awards Database". Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "What Inspires Martin Scorsese's Go-to Costume Designer". The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "In conversation with costume designer Sandy Powell". The Daily Telegraph. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Todd Haynes: ‘She said, there’s a frock film coming up, with Cate attached … It sounded right up my alley’". The Guardian. 15 November 2015. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- "‘American Horror Story,’ ‘Carol’ Costume Designer and Director Teams Discuss Collaborations". Variety. 19 November 2015. Retrieved 18 January 2016.
- Rhiannon Harries (05 September 2010). How We Met: Lea Anderson & Sandy Powell. The Independent. Accessed August 2013.
- Ide, Wendy (15 February 2008). "Sandy Powell on what it takes to be a costume designer". Times Online. Times Newspapers. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandy Powell (costume designer).|
|This biographical article related to film in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|