Sandy Powell (costume designer)
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015)|
Powell at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival (2011)
7 April 1960 |
|Alma mater||Saint Martin's School of Art|
Sandy Powell OBE (born 7 April 1960) is a British costume designer. She has won the Academy Award for Costume Design for Shakespeare in Love (1998), The Aviator (2004), and The Young Victoria (2009). She has also received nine BAFTA Award nominations, winning for Velvet Goldmine and The Young Victoria. She won numerous other awards in costume design for the latter film. She is frequently associated with Martin Scorsese, having designed the costumes for six of his films.
Powell attended Saint Martin's School of Art in London, before completing her degree, due to offers of work from, amongst others, Derek Jarman. She was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2011 New Year Honours for services to the film industry.
Powell is a cousin of the equally successful costume designer, Anthony Powell.
- Edward II (1991) (won Evening Standard British Film Award)
- Orlando (1992) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Crying Game (1992)
- Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)
- Rob Roy (1995)
- The Wings of the Dove (1997) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Velvet Goldmine (1998) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Shakespeare in Love (1998) (won Academy Award)
- The End of the Affair (1999)
- Gangs of New York (2002) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Far from Heaven (2002)
- Sylvia (2003)
- The Aviator (2004) (won Academy Award)
- Mrs Henderson Presents (2005) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Departed (2006)
- The Other Boleyn Girl (2008)
- The Young Victoria (2009) (won Academy Award)
- Shutter Island (2010)
- The Tempest (2010) (nominated for Academy Award)
- Hugo (2011) (nominated for Academy Award)
- The Wolf of Wall Street (2013 film)
- Cinderella (2015)
- Carol (2015)
- "WHAT INSPIRES MARTIN SCORSESE'S GO-TO COSTUME DESIGNER". The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "In conversation with costume designer Sandy Powell". The Daily Telegraph. 3 December 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- Rhiannon Harries (05 September 2010). How We Met: Lea Anderson & Sandy Powell. The Independent. Accessed August 2013.
- Ide, Wendy (15 February 2008). "Sandy Powell on what it takes to be a costume designer". Times Online. Times Newspapers. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandy Powell (costume designer).|
|This biographical article related to film in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to fashion is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|