|Rapid City, South Dakota
|Branding||Black Hills Fox (general)
Black Hills Fox News (news)
|Slogan||Real People. Real News.|
|Channels||Digital: 23 (UHF)
Virtual: 7 (PSIP)
|Translators||KHSD-TV 11.2 (Lead)|
(Gray Television Licensee, LLC)
|First air date||February 24, 2016|
|Call letters' meaning||SEVeN|
|Transmitter power||15 kW|
|Public license information:||Profile
KEVN-LD, virtual channel 7, is a Fox-affiliated television station affiliate based in Rapid City, South Dakota, United States. Owned by Gray Television, the station is a sister to ABC affiliate KOTA-TV, and the two stations have a co-located studio/office and transmitter facility located on Skyline Drive in Rapid City.
KEVN is also carried on virtual channel 11.2 on KOTA's full-power satellite in Lead, South Dakota, KHSD-TV, which can also be seen over the air in Rapid City. KHSD's transmitter is located near Spearfish, South Dakota.
|This section does not cite any sources. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
KEVN intellectual unit
Until 2016, the KEVN call sign, Fox affiliation, and virtual channel 7 assignment were used on the broadcast license presently associated with KOTA-TV. KEVN-TV had launched in 1976 as an ABC affiliate, replacing KRSD-TV, which had signed on in 1958 as an NBC affiliate with a secondary ABC affiliation, switched to CBS in 1970, and was denied license renewal in 1971; KRSD shut down several months before KEVN began operations. KEVN switched to NBC in 1984 and Fox in 1996. The original KEVN was also seen on a satellite station in Lead, KIVV-TV (channel 5), which operated on the license now used by KHSD-TV; virtual channel 5 is presently used by KQME, a satellite of MeTV affiliate KHME (channel 23).
On September 14, 2015, Gray bought the non-license assets of the market's ABC affiliate KOTA-TV as part of its acquisition of Schurz Communications' television stations. Due to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ownership restrictions, Gray established this new low-powered station to move the Fox affiliation, KEVN's call sign, virtual channel, and programming. KOTA's ABC affiliation and program streams including its existing PSIP channel 3 numbering was then moved to the old full-powered KEVN, transmitting on RF channel 7. The original KOTA-TV license was then sold to Legacy Broadcasting and became KHME.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP Short Name||Programming|
|7.1||720p||16:9||KEVN-DT||Main KEVN-LD programming / Fox|
|This section requires expansion with: information on KEVN's news operation prior to and since the affiliation switch to Fox. (August 2010)|
KEVN-LD broadcasts 9½ hours of locally produced newscasts each week (with 1½ hours on weekdays and one hour each on Saturdays and Sundays). The station carries a 6:00 p.m. newscast, but does not produce any newscasts during morning or midday timeslots. It rebroadcasts its hour-long 9:00 p.m. news program at 6:00 a.m. on weekday mornings.
Early in KEVN's Fox affiliation (on what is now KOTA-TV), the station produced an hour-long morning newscast at 7 a.m. and half-hour newscasts at noon, 5:30 p.m., and 10 p.m.; on weekends, KEVN aired only its late newscast. In 1998, the station moved the late newscast to 9 p.m., making it the first Rapid City station to produce a primetime newscast; Around the same time, the morning and midday newscasts were discontinued. By 2001, KEVN expanded the weeknight 9 p.m. news to an hour; the weekend edition of the newscast was expanded to an hour on November 2, 2013. The station moved the early evening newscast to 6 p.m. on March 31, 2008 and relaunched it as The Six.
- RabbitEars TV Query for KEVN
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of May 19, 1997". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on May 29, 1997. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Fox to move local newscast to 6 p.m.". Rapid City Journal. March 25, 2008. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of January 25, 1999". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on January 28, 1999. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of October 16, 2000". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on October 17, 2000. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of April 16, 2001". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on April 18, 2001. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- Rapid City FOX Affiliate Expands Weekend Newscast TVSpy, November 4, 2013.
- KEVN Expands It's Weekend News To One Hour TVNewsCheck, November 4, 2013.