|Branding||Black Hills Fox|
|KOTA/KHSD/KSGW, KNEP, KHME|
|Founded||February 25, 2010|
First air date
|February 1, 2016|
Former call signs
Call sign meaning
|HAAT||174.6 m (573 ft)|
Public license information
KEVN-LD (channel 7) is a low-power television station in Rapid City, South Dakota, United States, affiliated with the Fox network. It is owned by Gray Television alongside ABC affiliate KOTA-TV (channel 3) and MeTV affiliate KHME (channel 23). The stations share studios on Skyline Drive in Rapid City, where KEVN-LD's transmitter is also located.
KEVN is also carried on KOTA's full-power satellites. KHSD-TV (channel 11.2) in Lead, South Dakota serves the Black Hills proper; it can also be seen over the air in Rapid City. KSGW-TV (channel 12.2) in Sheridan, Wyoming serves northern and northeast Wyoming. KHSD's transmitter is located on Terry Peak near Spearfish, South Dakota, while KSGW's transmitter is on Bosin Rock.
KEVN intellectual unit
Until 2016, the KEVN call sign, Fox affiliation, and virtual channel 7 assignment were used on the broadcast license presently associated with KOTA-TV. KEVN-TV had launched in 1976 as an ABC affiliate, replacing KRSD-TV, which had signed on in 1958 as an NBC affiliate with a secondary ABC affiliation, switched to CBS in 1970, and was denied license renewal in 1971; KRSD shut down several months before KEVN began operations. KEVN switched to NBC in 1984 and Fox in 1996. The original KEVN was also seen on a satellite station in Lead, KIVV-TV (channel 5), which operated on the license now used by KHSD-TV; virtual channel 5 is presently used by KQME, a satellite of MeTV affiliate KHME (channel 23).
On September 14, 2015, Gray bought the non-license assets of the market's ABC affiliate KOTA-TV as part of its acquisition of Schurz Communications' television stations. Due to Federal Communications Commission (FCC) ownership restrictions, Gray established this new low-powered station to move the Fox affiliation, KEVN's call sign, virtual channel, and programming. KOTA's ABC affiliation and program streams including its existing PSIP channel 3 numbering was then moved to the old full-powered KEVN, transmitting on RF channel 7. The original KOTA-TV license was then sold to Legacy Broadcasting and became KHME.
The station's digital signal is multiplexed:
This section needs expansion with: information on KEVN's news operation prior to and since the affiliation switch to Fox. You can help by adding to it. (August 2010)
KEVN-LD broadcasts 9+1⁄2 hours of locally produced newscasts each week (with 1+1⁄2 hours each weekday and one hour each on Saturdays and Sundays). The station carries a 6:00 p.m. newscast, but does not produce any newscasts during morning or midday timeslots. It rebroadcasts its hour-long 9:00 p.m. news program at 6:00 a.m. on weekday mornings.
Early in KEVN's Fox affiliation (on what is now KOTA-TV), the station produced an hour-long morning newscast at 7 a.m. and half-hour newscasts at noon, 5:30 p.m., and 10 p.m.; on weekends, KEVN aired only its late newscast. In 1998, the station moved the late newscast to 9 p.m., making it the first Rapid City station to produce a primetime newscast; Around the same time, the morning and midday newscasts were discontinued. By 2001, KEVN expanded the weeknight 9 p.m. news to an hour; the weekend edition of the newscast was expanded to an hour on November 2, 2013. The station moved the early evening newscast to 6 p.m. on March 31, 2008 and relaunched it as The Six.
- "Facility Technical Data for KEVN-LD". Licensing and Management System. Federal Communications Commission.
- "RabbitEars TV Query for KEVN". www.rabbitears.info. Retrieved November 9, 2023.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of May 19, 1997". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on May 29, 1997. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "Fox to move local newscast to 6 p.m." Rapid City Journal. March 25, 2008. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of January 25, 1999". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on January 28, 1999. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of October 16, 2000". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on October 17, 2000. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- "KEVN FOX7 Program Schedule for the week of April 16, 2001". KEVN FOX7 OnLine. Archived from the original on April 18, 2001. Retrieved February 18, 2015.
- Rapid City FOX Affiliate Expands Weekend Newscast TVSpy, November 4, 2013.
- KEVN Expands It's Weekend News To One Hour TVNewsCheck, November 4, 2013.