|Branding||KCWY News 13|
|Slogan||NBC for Wyoming (general)|
Where News Comes First (news)
|Channels||Digital: 12 (VHF)|
Virtual: 13 (PSIP)
(Gray Television Licensee, LLC)
|First air date||February 21, 2001|
|Call letters' meaning||K Casper, WYoming|
K Central WYoming
|Former channel number(s)||Analog:|
13 (VHF, 2001–2009)
|Former affiliations||Pax TV (2001–2003)|
|Transmitter power||3.2 kW|
|Height||571.5 m (1,875 ft)|
|Public license information:||Profile|
KCWY-DT is an NBC-affiliated television station licensed to Casper, Wyoming, United States. It broadcasts a high definition digital signal on VHF channel 12 (or virtual channel 13 via PSIP) from a transmitter atop Casper Mountain. The station maintains studios on Progress Circle in Mills, Wyoming.
KCWY serves as the NBC affiliate for most of Wyoming through four low-powered translators: KSWY-LP (channel 29) in Sheridan (currently off the air), KCHY-LP (channel 13) in Cheyenne, KWYM-LP (channel 14) in Laramie and K28HL-D (channel 28) in Riverton. KCWY's programming is also simulcast on the second digital subchannel of KSGW-TV (channel 12) in Sheridan. All stations, except K28HL-D, are owned by Gray Television.
KCWY signed on the air in February 2001 as an affiliate of the Pax TV network. On September 1, 2003, KCWY became the new NBC affiliate in the Casper market after NBC severed its affiliation with longtime affiliate KTWO-TV (channel 2). KCWY launched its first newscast (News 13 First at Five) on September 22, 2003.
In 2008, 2011 and 2012, the Wyoming Association of Broadcasters named KCWY its Television Station of the Year. In June 2013, Intermountain West Communications Company filed to sell KCWY to Frontier Radio Management, through subsidiary Yellowstone Holdings; the deal made it a sister station with KGWN-TV, which SagamoreHill Broadcasting was also selling to Yellowstone through a separate deal. On November 4, 2013, Gray Television announced a deal to acquire Yellowstone Holdings for $23 million. As a result of the acquisition, KCHY-LP was consolidated with KGWN-TV. The sale was completed on December 31.
|Channel||Video||Aspect||PSIP short name||Programming |
|13.1||1080i||16:9||KCWYNBC||Main KCWY-DT programming / NBC|
|13.2||720p||KCWY-CW||Central Wyoming CW|
- WAB Awards
- "Application for Consent to Assignment of Broadcast Station Construction Permit or License". CDBS Public Access. Federal Communications Commission. June 17, 2013. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- "Gray Buying Yellowstone Stations". TVNewsCheck. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Consummation Notice, CDBS Public Access, Federal Communications Commission, Retrieved 2 January 2014
- Official website
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KCWY
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KSWY-LP
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KCHY-LP
- Query the FCC's TV station database for KWYM-LP
- Query the FCC's TV station database for K28HL
- BIAfn's Media Web Database -- Information on KCWY-DT