Loureiro performing in 2016
June 16, 1972 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Genres||Heavy metal, power metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, neoclassical metal, jazz fusion, chorinho, bossa nova, forró, samba|
|Instruments||Guitar, bass, piano, keyboards, drums, vocals|
|Associated acts||Angra, Megadeth, Tarja Turunen, Neural Code|
Pedro Henrique "Kiko" Loureiro (born June 16, 1972) is a Brazilian heavy metal guitarist, best known as a member of the bands Angra and Megadeth. Along with Angra's other guitarist and primary songwriter Rafael Bittencourt, Loureiro has appeared on all of the band's releases.
Loureiro began studying music and playing acoustic guitar at age 11. He studied with two big famous Brazilian musicians: Pedro Bueno and Mozart Mello. Inspired by various artists, mainly Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, and Randy Rhoads, he moved to the electric guitar at 13 and by 16 had already joined two bands, Legalize (with Edu Mello on vocals, Dennis Belik on bass and Alja on drums) and A Chave, and was playing in nightclubs in São Paulo. At 19, he helped co-found Brazilian power metal band Angra, with whom he still plays.
Due to the increase in popularity of power metal, Loureiro has become quite successful, both playing in Angra and as a solo artist.
In addition to his rock/metal achievements, Loureiro has also played guitars on several eurobeat songs in collaboration with Dave Rodgers, including "Fevernova", "Ring of Fire" and "The Road is on Fire".
On 12 February 2017 Loureiro won his first Grammy Award for the Megadeth song "Dystopia" which won "Best Metal Performance" at the 59th Grammy Awards along with Dave Mustaine, David Ellefson and Chris Adler.
Loureiro is known for his tremendous technical skill on the guitar, frequently incorporating such techniques as two handed tapping, sweep picking (full swept arpeggios), alternate picking, artificial & natural harmonics and combining legato & staccato in the same run or phrase. He is also well known for both his instructional and demonstration videos as well as for writing columns for and appearing on the cover of magazines Cover Guitarra, Guitar & Bass, and Young Guitar.
Kiko is married to Finnish pianist and keyboardist Maria Ilmoniemi since 2011, having met her during his tenure in Tarja Turunen's Storm World Tour in 2008. Their first daughter, Livia, was born on September 29, 2011. On November 21, 2016 they welcomed twins in the family, Dante and Stella.
- No Gravity (JVC/Victor Entertainment, 2005)
- No Gravity (Boosweet Records/The Orchard, 2005-13)
- Universo Inverso (Boosweet Records/The Orchard, 2006-13)
- Universo Inverso (Victor Entertainment/Seoul, 2006)
- Fullblast (JVC/Victor Entertainment, 2009)
- Sounds of Innocence (Victor Entertainment, 2012)
Video lesson and instructional
- Guitarra Rock (1993)
- Os Melhores Solos e Riffs do Angra (2003)
- Tecnica e Versatilidade (2003)
- Guitarra Tecnica Para Iniciantes (2009)
- Rock Fusion Brasileiro (2009)
- Creative Fusion (2010)
- Reaching Horizons (originally released in 1992, reissued in 1997)
- Angels Cry (JVC Japan, 1993)
- Evil Warning EP (1994)
- Holy Land (Gravadora Eldorado, 1996)
- Make Believe Part 1 single (1996)
- Make Believe Part 2 single (1997)
- Make Believe Part 3 single (1997)
- Make Believe Part 4 single (1997)
- Freedom Call EP (1996)
- Holy Live live EP (1997)
- Fireworks (SPV GmbH/Century Media Records, 1998)
- Rebirth (SPV GmbH/Steamhammer, 2001)
- Acid Rain single (2001)
- Hunters and Prey EP (SPV GmbH/Steamhammer, 2002)
- Rebirth World Tour – Live in São Paulo live album and video (BMG/Victor Entertainment, recorded in 2001 and released in 2003)
- Temple of Shadows (SPV GmbH/Steamhammer, 2004)
- Wishing Well single (2004)
- Aurora Consurgens (SPV GmbH/Steamhammer, 2006)
- The Course of the Nature single (2006)
- Aqua (SPV GmbH/Steamhammer, 2010)
- Angels Cry 20th Anniversary Tour (JVC/Victor Entertainment, Substantial Music, SPV/Steamhammer, 2013)
- Secret Garden (JVC, Universal Music, Edel Music, 2014)
- Neural Code (2009)
Paco Ventura Black Moon
- Arabestia (2015)
- Dystopia (2016)
|Megadeth lead guitarist