Kishinchand Chellaram College
|Kishinchand Chellaram College of Arts, Science and Commerce|
|Churchgate, Mumbai - 400 020
|Type||Junior and Degree College|
|Motto||Salvation through knowledge |
|Principal||Hemlata Bagla |
|Affiliations||Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate BoardUniversity of Mumbai
Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education
In addition to Science, Arts and Commerce degrees, the college offers professional and vocational courses such as Bachelor of Mass Media, B.Sc. in Information Technology,B.Sc computer science, Bachelor in Accounts and Finance, Bachelor in Banking and Insurance, Computer Applications, Biotechnology and Industrial Chemistry and was the first college to be awarded an A grade by The National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) in Mumbai. It is distinguished[by whom?] for its consistently high academic record and it array of extracurricular activities. The college campus is at Churchgate and can be accessed by the station terminal.
K.C. College is built on the maxim "Salvation through Knowledge" derived from ancient Sanskrit.
Kishinchand Chellaram College was established in 1954 under the aegis of the Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate Board. It was the second institution that the Management set up in Bombay after it relocated itself in the city, following the aftermath of Partition. The onus of the task was taken up by late founders, principal K.M. Kundnani and barrister Hotchand Advani, who helped set up K.C. College as well as several other educational institutions. Kundnani and Advani were the pillars of that board. 
The R. D. National College was the first of the board's institutions and K.C. was the second. The latter came to be reckoned[by whom?] as its flagship institution from where the board's activities were conducted. The plot for the construction of K.C. College was leased from Ratanben Fauzdar for 99 years. Under the draught plan of architect K.M. Gidwani and the management of principal Kundnani, the building was completed in six months. The foundation stone was laid by Shri Dinkarrao Desai, the minister for education.
Students had been admitted from 1 June 1954 but a formal inauguration of the inception of the college was performed by Morarji Desai (the chief minister of Bombay State) on 15 August of the same year. Its first batch comprised 1800 students and, within three years, the numbers have consistently increased.
Campus layout and facilities
The building had an area of 70,000 sq ft (6,500 m2) and was built in the restrained art-deco style that dominated the architectural design ethic in the city since the 1920s. The college today has an air-conditioned auditorium with nearly 600 seating capacity, a parquet indoor badminton court and a community hall. The Department of Mass Media now operates through its new Colaba campus building.
Associations and student organisations
- Students Committee for Participation in Events (S.Co.P.E.)
- ZEST (Cultural Committee of B4 Department)
- Employment Cell
- Sports Council
- Gender Issues Cell
- Sindhi Association
- Marathi Mandal
- N.S.S. (National Social Scheme)
- The Rotaract Club of KC College (RCKC) (2nd Best Rotaract club across Mumbai)
- Model United Nations Club
- The Nature Club
- Students' Council
- Vigyan Kiran
- Science Honors Program (S.H.P.)
- Tech Club(CS Department)
Kishinchand Chellaram Model United Nations held in 2011 was one of the biggest MUN's in India with over 800 delegates attending. Students from over 50 colleges were present.
- Anil Ambani, chairman of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.
- Rashesh Shah, Chairman, CEO, and founder of Edelweiss Group; President of FICCI.
- Rajesh Khanna, actor.
- Jeetendra, actor.
- Meghan Jadhav, Actor. Popular Indian Television & Film actor.
- Kajal Aggarwal, actress.
- Zakir Naik, Salafi /Wahabi Islamic Televangelist.
- Shilpa Shinde, Notable Tv Actress & Winner of Big Boss 11
- Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate Board
- K C Law College, Mumbai
- List of Mumbai Colleges
- KCMUN 2011
- "About KC College". Retrieved 26 July 2014.
- "Principal's Message". Retrieved 18 April 2016.
- History Official website.
- "KC College pays tribute to superstar alumnus Rajesh Khanna". DNA (newspaper). 24 Jul 2012.
- "Meet Ajay Devgn's love in Singham - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 2011-07-13. Retrieved 2012-08-10.