|• Total||196.56 km2 (75.89 sq mi)|
|• Density||560/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BST (UTC+6)|
|Website||Official Map of Lakhai|
Lakhai is located at Sylhet, Dhaka & Chittagong of Bangladesh. It is surrounded by Habiganj Sadar Upazila, Baniachang Upazila, Madhabpur Upazila of Habiganj, Nasirnagar Upazila of Brahmanbaria and Austagram Upazila of Kishoreganj where Lakhai Upazila is the centre Point. Main rivers are: Meghna, Sutang, Monikhai, Balabhadra rivers. It has 19,465 households and total area of 196.56 km². Lakhai is the connecting point of 3 administrative divisions
At the 1991 Bangladesh census, Lakhai had a population of 110,319, of whom 53,164 were aged 18 or older. Males constituted 49.24% of the population, and females 50.76%. Lakhai had an average literacy rate of 21.6% (7+ years), against the national average of 32.4%.
Points of interest
Kalauk, Bhadikara,Bamai, Katihara, Lakhai, Amanullahpur (Borbari) Morakori, Muriauk, Karab, Bulla, Madna, Sinhagram, Begunai, Teghoria,Shibpur, Krishnapur, Dharmapur, Moshadia, Fulbaria, Satauk, Sajangram, Begunai, Rarishal, Marugach, Noagaon, Sontoshpur, Zirunda Manpur, Kamrapur, Montoil, Shuneswar, Moubari, Gonipoor.
Lakhai is connected through Habiganj, Ashuganj, Fandauk, Chatiain by road; Bhairab by launch and Shayestaganj, Shahjibazar, Nayapara by rail communications. Regional highway runs through Sarail, Nasirnagar, Lakhai, Habiganj route is important for road communications in this region. Lakhai–Dhaka and Lakhai–Sylhet direct bus services are available.
Lakhai was river based upazila in the past. But nowadays it has developed immediately.
Education and culture
At the 2001 census the average literacy rate of Lakhai Upazila was 28.7% (7+ years), where national average is 46.2%. In Dhaka several thousands people of Lakhai reside where most of restaurants, Bakarkhani shops, newspaper stores, self-employed persons are from Lakhai. Movements for establishing Sylhet Division were also organized by people of Lakhai as they are in large numbers in Dhaka.
Lakhai is famous for pithas and hospitality, rich with cross cultures of greater Sylhet, Dhaka & Chittagong's flavour and foreign connections, it is unique of Bangladesh.
Important educational institutes are-
- Karab Nuria Islamia Madrasah
- Lakhai Muktijoddha Degree College,
- Kalauk High School, (upazila Sadar),
- Zirunda Manpur Tofailia Senior Madrasah
- Muriauk High School
- Dharmapur baage modina gausia Dakhil madrasha
- Bamai High School
- Rarhishal Korab High School
- Amanullahpur Shafikia Hafizia Madrasah, (Borbari)
- Lakhai Darul Hoda madrasah & Yeateem Khana
- Bhabanipur High school
- Katihara Hafizia Madrasah
- Teghoria darul ulom Madrasah
- Morakori High School
- Teghoria SEDF Model High School
- Krishnapur High School
- Korab Rahmania Dakhil Madrasah
- Jayanta Singh Roy (2012). "Lakhai Upazila". In Sirajul Islam and Ahmed A. Jamal. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population Census Wing, BBS.". Archived from the original on 2005-03-27. Retrieved November 10, 2006.
- "Lakhai Upazila". spiritus-temporis.com.
- "Area, Population and Literacy Rate by Upazila/Thana-2001" (PDF). Population Census Wing, BBS. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 4, 2007. Retrieved September 3, 2007.
- "President may initiate fresh dialogue". bangladesh-web.com.