|Original author(s)||Lars Windolf|
|Initial release||July 28, 2003|
|Stable release||1.12.9 (August 28, 2020)|
|Preview release||1.13.4 Unstable (December 24, 2020)|
|Written in||C, Python|
|Operating system||Linux, BSD, Solaris|
Liferea (short for Linux Feed Reader) is a news aggregator for online news feeds and podcasts. It supports the major feed formats including RSS/RDF and Atom and can import and export subscription lists in OPML format. Liferea is intended to be a fast, easy to use, and easy to install news aggregator for GTK+ that can be used with the GNOME desktop. Liferea features a script manager, in which users can add custom scripts that run whenever a certain action occurs.
To easily read linked articles or weblog comments, Liferea allows reading websites using an embedded WebKit-based browser. Additionally, the user can configure an external browser (e.g. Firefox, Web, Konqueror) with which to open links.
By sorting subscriptions into folders, the user can read all headlines of a folder at once. By enabling a filtering preference, all previously read headlines of the folder can be hidden.
In Web there is a news feed subscription extension, which allows adding news feeds when viewing websites.
For Firefox 1.5+ there is an extension (FeedBag) that allows adding subscriptions by simple clicking the LiveBookmarks icons in the Firefox address bar.
Since Firefox 2.0+, Liferea can be used without a special extension. To subscribe to new feeds from within Firefox, the Liferea helper script "liferea-add-feed" has to be configured in the Firefox feed subscription preferences.
- "0.5.0-1 : liferea package : Ubuntu". Launchpad.net. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Releases - lwindolf/liferea". Retrieved 14 December 2020 – via GitHub.
- M. Germain, Jack (13 June 2012). "Liferea: A Feed Reader That Prefers a Simple Life". LinuxInsider. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Liferea – The Free News Aggregator on your Linux desktop". Ubuntu Geek. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Stieben, Danny (16 June 2011). "Liferea – The Perfect RSS Aggregator For Your Linux Desktop". MakeUseOf. Archived from the original on 18 June 2011. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Liferea Blog: 64bit Test". Liferea.blogspot.com. 2007-06-05. Archived from the original on 2016-03-03. Retrieved 2016-05-11.
- "Searching and Search Folders". Lzone. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Subscribing to Online Services". Lzone. Retrieved 16 January 2021.