This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Screenshot of RSSOwl
|Initial release||December 19, 2004|
|Stable release||2.2.1 (December 30, 2013[±])|
|License||Eclipse Public License|
RSSOwl is a news aggregator for RSS and Atom News feeds. It is written in Java, and is built on the Eclipse Rich Client Platform which uses SWT as a widget toolkit to allow it to fit in with the look and feel of different operating systems while remaining cross-platform. Released under the Eclipse Public License, RSSOwl is free software.
RSSOwl 1.0 was released on December 19, 2001. It was released with support for RSS and Atom News feeds. The initial release also supported exporting feeds to PDF, RTF, and HTML. This release was available for Windows, Mac, Linux, and Solaris. RSSOwl 1.1 added support for toolbars and quicksearch in news feeds. Version 1.2 improved toolbar customization and added support for Atom 1.0 News feeds. Versions 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 added universal binary support for mac as well as drag and drop for tabs and a built in feed validator. RSSOwl was the SourceForge Project of the Month for January 2005.
RSSOwl 2.0 was announced on March 7, 2007 at EclipseCon 2007. Version 2.0 was rebuilt on the Eclipse Rich Client Platform and used db4o for database storage and Lucene for text searching. Several milestone versions were released before the final 2.0 version that added labeling of news feeds, pop-up notification of new feeds and storage of news articles in news bins. The final 2.0 version was released as milestone 9 and added support for secure password and credential storage, news filters, support for embedding Firefox 3.0 XULRunner to render news feeds, and proxy support for windows.
This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Full support for RSS & RDF versions 0.91, 0.92, 1.0, 2.0
- Support for Atom Syndication Format version 1.0
- Generate PDF / RTF / HTML documents from any news including aggregations
- Powerful Newsfeed search engine working with keywords
- Perform a fulltext-search with result-highlight on favorites and categories
- Aggregate news of an entire category to one newstab
- Save favorite newsfeeds in categories
- Store newsfeeds in Blogrolls and share them with other people
- Mail NewsTip to friends
- Authentication via BASE64, Digest and NTLM
- Display HTTPS secure newsfeeds
Import / Export
- Import / Export favorite newsfeeds using OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) 
- Import / Export your settings in RSSOwl to use them on another computer.
- Support for podcast downloading using news filters
- Integrated Newsfeed validator
- Erroneous favorites are marked
- Read news either in the internal browser or a Rich Text window 
- Blog news viewed in RSSOwl with your favorite blogging tool
- Huge list of sample Newsfeeds pre-saved
- Select an auto-update-interval for your favorites
- View properties of a selected favorite
RSSOwl is translated into many languages: Bengali, Bulgarian, Czech, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Serbian (Cyrillic), Serbian (Latin), Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Ukrainian.
- "Five Best Google Reader Alternatives that're also Free". Narga. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Martin Brinkmann (August 17, 2011), "How To Setup News Filters In RSS Reader RSSOwl", Ghacks Technology News, retrieved August 22, 2011,
quite a few [features] helped me optimize my work flow.
- RSSOwl 2.1 Changelog, retrieved August 22, 2011
- Martin Brinkmann (July 15, 2011), "RSS Feed Reader RSSOwl Updated", Ghacks Technology News, retrieved August 22, 2011
- First RSSOwl version 0.3a, see https://sourceforge.net/projects/rssowl/files/rssowl%20classic%201.0%20(do%20not%20use)/0.3a/
- RSSOwl 1.1 released Archived 2010-07-23 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 1.2 released Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 1.2.1 released Archived 2010-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 1.2.2 released Archived 2010-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- SourceForge.net: Project of the Month
- EclipseCon 2007: Preview of RSSOwl 2.0
- Announcing RSSOwl 2.0 Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 2.0 Milestone 6 Archived 2011-01-04 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 2.0 Milestone 7 Archived 2010-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- RSSOwl 2.0 Milestone 9 Archived 2010-06-27 at the Wayback Machine
- "rssowl/RSSOwl". GitHub. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
RSSOwl is unmaintained and has several known vulnerabilities. Please do not use it any more
- "RSSOwl Newsreader Updates to 2.0, Adds Feed Importing, Search Features". LifeHacker. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "RSSOwl – Powerful News Feed Reader For Your Desktop". MakeUseOf. Retrieved 14 November 2014.