Sleipnir (web browser)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Developer(s)||Fenrir Inc, Osaka, Japan|
|Stable release||220.127.116.1100 (October 29, 2015) [±]|
|Operating system||Windows, OS X, iOS, Android, Windows Phone|
|Type||Web browser; Mobile browser|
Sleipnir was originally developed by Yasuyuki Kashiwagi. In November 2004, the computer containing Sleipnir's source code was stolen. In 2005, Kashiwagi established Fenrir & Co. to start development of a new version of Sleipnir. Starting with version 2, the new versions are not compatible with the original.
Sleipnir was one of twelve browsers originally offered in a browser ballot screen on the EU edition of Windows 7 (and XP and Vista with an update), so users could choose between Internet Explorer and other browsers during the installation process.
The stable version, 5.0, was released on December 24, 2013 with the latest Blink engine. The latest stable version is 6.0.
In the Windows version, the browser's layout engine can be changed. Internet Explorer's Trident and Mozilla's Gecko were supported. As of version 18.104.22.16800, support for the WebKit rendering engine was implemented and Gecko rendering engine support was terminated. Other features include tab grouping, mouse gestures, page zooming, a search bar, Greasemonkey-like user script support, and plugin support. Bookmarks on Sleipnir can be synced with different platform, using a function called Fenrir Pass.
Sleipnir 2 for Windows: Sleipnir 2 features customizable functions and add-ons created by users. Sleipnir 2 is one of the few browsers to still support Windows 98.
Sleipnir 3 for Windows: Includes tab options, tab groups, Touchpaging to flick between tabs using your mouse, and mouse gestures.
Sleipnir 3 for Mac: Switch tabs by swiping tabs left or right-click; Operate tabs using gestures; TiledTab - Pinch-in on the TrackPad to view a list of tabs; Hold And Go - Hold down on a link to open in the background; Ad Block; Tab groups for managing tabs; Sync bookmarks with other devices using Fenrir Pass; The standard full-screen with OS X Lion
Sleipnir 4 for Windows: Sleipnir 4 for Windows has introduced minor interface improvements; Smart Tabs - adding, positioning and deletion of tabs is determined based on relationship with previous and next tabs; 150 mouse gesture functions added; Google Chrome extensions support.
Sleipnir 4 for Mac: Thumbnail Tab Navigation - open tabs are not shrunk anymore, instead they are presented in a scrollable list, with tab titles appearing on mouse hover; Portal field - a bar with a double functionality of navigation bar and search; TiledTab - view mode that gives an overview of the opened tabs and allows to sort tabs into six groups; Improved gesture controls.
Sleipnir 5 for Windows: Sleipnir 5 for Windows has integrated all of the features introduced in Sleipnir 4 for Mac; Smooth OSX-like font rendering engine introduced; "Site Updates" feature shows personalized recommendations of articles from the often visited sites; Added touch screen support.
Early Gecko-based versions of Sleipnir for Windows scored positive reviews from CNET for the design and functionality, most noticeably, for the inclusion of gestures. “The action is very smooth and natural and a lot like scrolling through pages on your phone with your thumb.” The OSX version review by MakeUseOf followed generally the same line while additionally bringing attention to the convenient tab management.
MacWorld, while reviewing Sleipnir 4 for Mac has praised how the URl bar was changed. “Opera pioneered that idea, but Sleipnir’s tabs remain constantly visible and strike a nice balance between being large enough to identify but small enough not to intrude on the main browser window.” Despite this, version 4 was criticized for its poor performance, compared to other browsers using WebKit.
Later versions of Sleipnir received positive reviews from Softpedia, due to the browsers customizability, features and the availability of mobile versions. “Sleipnir proves to be a stable and fast web browser that comes with innovative functions and various customization possibilities. The extra security features, together with smartphone and web apps linking are features that make it a viable alternative to its more popular competitors.”
- "リリースノート (ie release note in Japanese)". fenrir-inc.com. Retrieved 2015-10-03.
- Sleipnir 3 Web Browser for Windows / Mac - Web browsing that links easily with smartphones
- Corporate Symbol of Fenrir
- Translators wanted Sleipnir web browser Windows, Mac, Mobile (Fenrir Developer's Blog)
- About language support for each product
- (Japanese) 「Sleipnir」「PictBear」の作者のパソコンが盗難に遭い開発中止に!?
- (Japanese) フェンリル、タブブラウザ「Sleipnir」「Grani」のデフォルト検索エンジンをグーグルに:マーケティング - CNET Japan
- "Microsoft offers browser choices to Europeans". BBC News. 1 March 2010.
- "EU drops Microsoft browser charges with agreement on 'ballot screen'". The Guardian. 16 December 2009.
- "Released Sleipnir 5 for Windows with the latest Blink engine". Sleipnir Blog. December 24, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2014.
- WebKit browsers for Windows - Sleipnir 3 joins the list with α3 (Fenrir Developer's Blog)
- "Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Edge? Impressive Web Browser Alternatives". Smashing Magazine. 2015-09-23. Retrieved 2015-09-24.
- Mac App Store - Sleipnir Browser
- "Sleipnir 4 for Windows". fenrir-inc.com. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Rodriguez, Jorge (January 28, 2013). "Sleipnir 4: A Deconstructed Web Browser". Appstorm. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- "The luxury, advanced Web browser drawing text beautifully like professional tools on PC too – Sleipnir 5, released today!". Sleipnir Blog. November 21, 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "New feature "FavTab" allows quick navigation, even if 100 tabs are open! Released Sleipnir 6 for Windows". Sleipnir Blog. May 29, 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Released Sleipnir 6 for Windows (6.1)!". Sleipnir Blog. September 18, 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Released Sleipnir 6 for Windows (6.1.5), Sleipnir 4 for Windows (4.4.1)!". Sleipnir Blog. February 19, 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Review: Sleipnir 4 has a different take on Web browsers". CNET. March 22, 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Sleipnir – A Speedy And Stylish Web Browser [Mac]". MakeUseOf. April 30, 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Sleipnir Review". Macworld. April 9, 2013. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Sleipnir Review". Softpedia. February 9, 2014. Retrieved 9 November 2015.
- "Which Web Browser Should You Run On Your Android Device?". Tom’s Hardware. November 29, 2012. Retrieved 9 November 2015.