List of The Thinker sculptures
This is a list of The Thinker sculptures made by Auguste Rodin. The Thinker, originally a part of Rodin's The Gates of Hell, exists in several versions. The original size and the later monumental size versions were both created by Rodin, and the most valuable versions are those created under his supervision. There was also a limited edition of 12 copies made from the original plaster mold by the Musée Rodin after Rodin's death.
The Thinker exists as bronze casts, exhibition plaster casts (some were painted to look like bronze patina), and original production plasters, which some consider art objects today.
Copies of The Thinker made during Rodin's lifetime
|National Gallery of Victoria||Original||Bronze||1884||Earliest bronze casting, has Florentine cap|||
|Musée d'Art et d'Histoire, Geneva||Original||Bronze||1896|||
|National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.||Original||Bronze||1901|||
|Panthéon, Latin Quarter, Paris (destroyed)||Monumental||Plaster, bronze-tinted||1904||Earliest monumental. The statue was vandalized and later scrapped.|||
|University of Louisville||Monumental||Bronze||1903||First casting by A. A. Hébrard, lost wax technique, displayed at Louisiana Purchase Exposition|||
|Detroit Institute of Arts||Monumental||Bronze||1903||First casting by Alexis Rudier, sand casting, four days younger than Louisville copy,
publicly displayed at Leipzig and Berlin
|Metropolitan Museum, New York||Monumental||Plaster, bronze-tinted||1904||Sent to Louisiana Purchase Exhibition to replace the bronze version|||
|Musée Rodin, Paris||Monumental||Bronze||1904||Installed outside Paris Panthéon in 1906, moved to Musée Rodin garden in 1922|||
|Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek||Monumental||Bronze||1904||the "third Hébrard copy"|||
|Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden||Monumental||Plaster||1904||acquired by museum in October 1904|||
|National Museum, Poznań||Monumental||Plaster||1904||acquired in January 1905|||
|Strasbourg Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art||Monumental||Plaster||1904||purchased from the artist in 1907|||
|Legion of Honor, San Francisco||Monumental||Bronze||1904||Alexis Rudier cast, purchased in 1915, donated to San Francisco in 1922|||
|Private collection, Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, Massachusetts||Original||Bronze||1906||made for Ralph Pulitzer, sold for $15.3 million in 2013|||
|Laeken Cemetery, Brussels||Monumental||Bronze||1906||Alexis Rudier cast, installed on the grave of Jef Dillen in 1927|||
|Ca' Pesaro, Venice||Monumental||Plaster, bronze-tinted||1907||purchased at the 1907 Biennale|||
|Congressional Plaza, Buenos Aires||Monumental||Bronze||1907||Purchased by the museum director to Auguste Rodin, one of the three sculptures cast in the original mold and signed by him|||
|Waldemarsudde, Sweden||Monumental||Bronze||1908||Alexis Rudier cast, for Prince Eugen of Norway and Sweden|||
|Private collection||Original||Bronze||1916||sold for $11.8 million in 2010|||
|Rodin's tomb, Meudon||Monumental||Bronze||1916||Alexis Rudier cast, placed at the grave when his wife died|||
|Cleveland Museum of Art||Monumental||Bronze||1916||Alexis Rudier cast, purchased 1916, badly damaged by vandalism in 1970, displayed in an unrepaired state|||
|Musée Rodin at Meudon||Monumental||Plaster, bronze-tinted||1916||the museum has several plaster casts in different sizes and of different ages|||
- United Kingdom
- Vatican City
- Vatican Museums, Collection of Modern Religious Art
- United States
- Cantor Fitzgerald offices in World Trade Center, New York City (survived the September 11 attacks; missing afterwards)
- Columbia University, New York City
- Maryhill Museum of Art, Goldendale
- Bal Harbour Shops, Miami
- Martin Lawrence Gallery, Las Vegas
- University of Louisville, Louisville
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore
- Rodin Museum, Philadelphia
- Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kansas City
- Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena
- Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts, Stanford University, Stanford
- Legion of Honor, San Francisco
- Borde Costero, Viña del Mar
- OUE Bayfront, Marina Bay
- South Korea
- Beartree Park, Chungchongnam-do
- "Twenty-Five Years After the Bomb: Maintaining Cleveland's The Thinker". Journal of the American Institute of Conservation. 37 (2): 173–186. 1998. doi:10.1179/019713698806082877. Archived from the original on 25 September 2009.
- Blanchetière, François; Thurrowgood, David (2013). "Two insights into Auguste Rodin's The Thinker". Art Journal. National Gallery of Victoria. 52. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Le Penseur, élément de la Porte de l'Enfer". Musées d'art et d'histoire, Genève. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The Thinker (Le Penseur)". National Gallery of Art. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Rodin's Enlarged Thinker". RODIN-WEB. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Zaccone, Janene (9 April 2012). "Fact Sheet: The Thinker at the University of Louisville". University of Louisville. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The Thinker". Detroit Institute of Arts. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The Thinker". Musée Rodin. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- de Roos, Hans (23 December 2004). "The Digital Sculpture Project: Applying 3D Scanning Techniques for the Morphological Comparison of Sculptures". Computer and Information Science. 9 (2). CiteSeerX 10.1.1.124.6463. ISSN 1401-9841.
- "Le Penseur". navigart.fr. 3 December 2002. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "The Thinker". Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Now that's something to ponder: Auguste Rodin's The Thinker sells for a record $15.3 million at auction". Daily Mail. 9 May 2013. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Le penseur du père Lachaise Bruxellois". Le soir. 31 October 1992. Retrieved 20 February 2017.
- "Les secrets de Laeken : à la découverte du « Père Lachaise » belge". L'avenir. 22 August 2015. Retrieved 20 February 2017. One of the 22 copies of The Thinker made during Rodin's lifetime
- Rodin Auguste, Catalogue of Ca' Pesaro Archived 25 February 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Plaza del Congreso". Sitio oficial de turismo de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 12 December 2015.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "www.barriada.com.ar - Mabel Crego - Estatua El Pensador de Rodin". www.barriada.com.ar.
- Auguste Rodin, Prins Eugens Waldemarsudde
- Michaud, Christopher (6 May 2010). "Sotheby's marks a solid night at Impressionist sale". Reuters. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Labo (2 October 2012). "The valuing of exceptional paintings and works of art". Gilles Perrault. Archived from the original on 26 June 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The Thinker Vandalized" The Cleveland Museum of Art
- "A God Among Men". The Cleveland Free Times. Archived from the original on 2 April 2015.
- The Thinker, Joconde Portail des collections des musées de France
- "Le Penseur". Kunst in de openbare ruimte. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Auguste Rodin". Musée des Beaux-Arts Montréal. Archived from the original on 22 November 2013.
- Auguste Rodin, The Thinker
- "The enlarged Thinker: New posthumous bronze casts", penseur.org. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- "MacLaren Art Centre - Media Releases - The Thinker Reviewed". Archived from the original on 8 January 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- Barry, Dan; Rashbaum, William K. (20 May 2002). "Born of Hell, Lost After Inferno". The New York Times. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- City of Goldendale - Arts & Culture Archived 23 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Auguste Rodin — The Thinker
- "PR: Martin Lawrence Galleries Delivers World-renowned Masterpieces to the Las Vegas Strip". OpenVegas. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "The Thinker » Norton Simon Museum". www.nortonsimon.org.
- Wander, Robin (24 January 2012). "The Thinker, one of the most famous works of art in the world, comes home to Stanford's Cantor Arts Center". Stanford Report. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Photo of the Authorized replica in the Ricardo Brennand Institute".
- "Instituto Ricardo Brennand abre no feriado de Páscoa" [Ricardo Brennand Institute opens on Easter holiday] (in Portuguese). Sim!. Archived from the original on 6 May 2007.
- "Galeria de Fotos: Belém ganha exposição internacional de Camille Claudel" [Photo gallery: Bethlehem wins international exhibition of Camille Claudel] (in Portuguese). Portal ORM. 21 June 2006. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011.
- "The Thinker (Enlarged)", National Museum of Western Art. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- "Water Fountain Garden: The Thinker (Le Penseur)". Kyoto National Museum. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "Museum Dictionary: Rodin's Thinker". Kyoto National Museum. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- "List of works at Rodin wing", Shizuoka Prefectural Art Museum. Accessed 20 March 2013.
- "Donation of Rodin's The Thinker:A Generous Birthday Give [sic] to NTHU Archived 13 September 2014 at the Wayback Machine", National Tsing Hua University. Accessed 20 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Le Penseur.|