List of area code overlays
An area code overlay is a North American area code that is assigned to the same numbering plan area (NPA) as at least one other area code. Overlay codes are determined and regulated as part of the North American Numbering Plan to increase the number of available telephone numbers in a province, state or region.
The North American Numbering Plan Administration maintains the definitive list of overlay plans of area codes in the United States. The majority of overlay plans in North America have occurred since 1995. The process has been driven by fragmentation of numbering resources by a growing number of competitive local exchange carriers.
Active area code overlays
Pending and planned overlays
Various new area codes are planned or proposed. A few overlay implementations (557 MO, 564 WA, 689 FL, 975 MO) have been suspended, often because wasteful allocation of telephone numbers has been mitigated by number pooling or other conservation efforts.
- 326 is planned to overlay 937 in February 2020.
- 387 is reserved as a future overlay for 416.
- 447 is planned for overlay of 217, with no precise time frame for integration.
- 464 is also reserved for 708, to be integrated once the original area code is exhausted.
- 470 will supplement the 678 overlay already present for 404 and 770 in Metro Atlanta. The new area code was announced in 2001, but will not be used until all assignable 678 NXX codes are exhausted.
- 640 is planned to overlay 609 in 2018.
- 672 is planned to overlay 236/778, 250 and 604 in British Columbia on May 4, 2019.
- 679, planned to overlay 313 in Michigan.
- 742 is reserved as a future overlay for 905.
- 833 is proposed to overlay non-geographic toll-free codes 800 and 844 through 888 in mid-2017, largely due to failure of the Federal Communications Commission to enforce its regulations regarding hoarding, brokering or warehousing toll-free numbers.
- 835 is proposed to overlay 610 and 484. This plan has been suspended by the Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission.
- Haar, Dan and Vanessa Hua. "Regulators Have Area Code Plan"[permanent dead link]. The Courant. August 18, 1999. Accessed October 28, 2005.
- NANPA : Number Resources - NPA (Area) Codes
- Madison, Linc. "LincMad's Area Code Locator Table". LincMad. September 29, 2005. Accessed October 28, 2005.
- "PSC Selects Overlay for New Area Code in Western Kentucky: Current numbers in area code 270 remain unchanged; decision means 10-digit dialing for local calls beginning in 2014". Retrieved December 17, 2012.
- "New 669 Area Code Joins South Bay 408 Region Saturday". KPIX-TV.
- New telephone area code for the Miami Valley has been revealed
- NANPA PL-269
- (CRTC), Government of Canada, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission. "Relief for area codes 236, 250, 604, and 778 in British Columbia". crtc.gc.ca. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- "NANPA : Number Resources - NPA (Area) Codes".
- David B. Caruso (2011-04-20). "Hot numbers when you least expect them". Associated Press. Retrieved 2013-11-07.
- Area Codes in Southeast Pennsylvania