List of disasters in Indonesia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of disasters in Indonesia that have had widespread effects or received substantial attention. It is split into natural and manmade disasters, which includes deliberate actions, and is further sorted by date.
- During August 26–27, 1883 the Krakatoa volcano erupted leading to at least 36,000 deaths. The after effects included a tsunami.
- On February 1, 1938 a very large earthquake followed by a tsunami in the Banda Sea caused widespread damage but no fatalities.
- In 1997 a series of forest fires broke out, causing a haze in much of Asia and worldwide environmental damage.
- On December 26, 2004 a massive earthquake followed by a tsunami affected fourteen nations with Indonesia worst affected. The tsunami killed a total of approximately 230,000 people.
- On December 22, 2018 an eruption of the Anak Krakatau volcano and underwater landslides caused the 2018 Sunda Strait tsunami. It led to the deaths of at least 437 people and injured more than 14095.
- Mass killings in 1965-6, ruled by the International Criminal Court to constitute a genocide that Indonesia was responsible for and the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia were complicit in, killed at least 400,000 and up to three million. The killings targeted alleged communists.
- On April 22, 1974 Pan Am Flight 812, a Boeing 707, crashed into a mountainside near Denpasar, Bali. killing all 107 on board.
- Pn March 31, 1981 authorities stormed Garuda Indonesia Flight 206 in Bangkok, Thailand killing five of the Islamic terrorists who had hijacked the domestic flight over Indonesia.
- In May 1998 race riots broke out throughout the country, resulting in largescale fatalities and over 150 reported rapes.
- On October 13, 2002 the Bali nightclub bombings killed at least 182 most of whom were foreign tourists.
- On December 30, 2006 passenger liner MV Senopati Nusantara sank in the Java Sea near Mandalika Island, with hundreds believed to have drowned.
- On January 1, 2007 Adam Air Flight 574, a Boeing 737, crashed into the Makassar Strait off the coast of Sulawesi, leaving all 102 occupants missing and presumed dead.
- On March 7, 2007 Garuda Indonesia Flight 200, a Boeing 737, overshot the runway at Adisucipto International Airport and killed 21 people on board.
- In 2015 a string of forest fires caused widespread toxic haze, and were described by the Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency as a "crime against humanity".
- On April 1, 2018 an oil pipeline owned by state firm Pertamina burst in Balikpapan Bay, Borneo. The oil subsequently ignited leaving several fishermen dead.
- In April 2018 tainted alcohol was discovered in Jakarta and West Java, which was mixed with caffeinated energy drinks and herbal drinks, and suspected to contain mosquito repellent. At least 82 died, with others hospitalised.
- Kalashnikova Tamara. "Tsunami Laboratory, Novosibirsk, Russia". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- Bagley, Mary (September 14, 2017). "Krakatoa Volcano: Facts About 1883 Eruption". Live Science. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Okal, Emile A.; Reymond, Dominique (15 November 2003). "The mechanism of great Banda Sea earthquake of 1 February 1938: Applying the method of preliminary determination of focal mechanism to a historical event". Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 216 (1–2): 1–15. doi:10.1016/S0012-821X(03)00475-8 – via www.scholars.northwestern.edu.
- "Refdoc". Refdoc.fr.
- Taylor, Alan. "Ten Years Since the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami".
- "Preliminary Damage and Loss Assessment : The 15th Meeting of The Consultative Group on Indonesia" (PDF). Siteresources.worldbank.org. Jakarta. June 14, 2006. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
Yogyakarta and Central Java Natural Disaster
- "Indonesia: Tropical Storm Cempaka kills 19 on Java Nov. 27-29". Garda.com.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Floods affect 11,000 Jakarta residents".
- Post, The Jakarta. "Seven still missing as rescuers stop search for landslide victims".
- "Indonesia tsunami kills hundreds after Krakatau eruption". BBC News. December 23, 2018. Retrieved December 23, 2018.
- Perry, Juliet. "Tribunal: Indonesia guilty of 1965 genocide".
- "Indonesia's killing fields". Aljazeera.com.
- "Accident Report PanAM B707 22 APR 74". 5 March 2000.
- AP. "INDONESIANS STORM JET IN BANGKOK, FREEING ALL 55 CAPTIVES".
- "Still No Answers, or Peace, for Many Rape Victims - The Jakarta Globe". 4 September 2010.
- Staff and agencies (13 October 2002). "Bali night club bomb kills 180". the Guardian.
- "Embassy bomb chief arrested, says report". Smh.com.au.
- "Indonesia ferry survivors rescued". News.bbc.co.uk. 14 April 2018.
- "Microsoft Word - Draft_Final_Adam_PK-KKW_17032008.doc" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-04-15.
- "Wayback Machine" (PDF). 28 September 2011.
- "Plans to Build New $33 million Bridge After Disaster - The Jakarta Globe". 2 December 2011.
- Lamb, Kate (26 October 2015). "Indonesia's fires labelled a 'crime against humanity' as 500,000 suffer". the Guardian.
- "Borneo oil spill costs Indonesia's poor".
- "Cracked Undersea Pipeline Caused Deadly Oil Spill in Indonesia". 5 April 2018.
- "Death toll from Indonesia tainted liquor rises to 82". Reuters.com. Retrieved 5 June 2018.