List of towns in the United Kingdom
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, a town traditionally was a settlement which had a charter to hold a market or fair and therefore became a "market town". In Scotland, the equivalent is known as a burgh (pronounced [ˈbʌɾə]). There are two types of burgh: royal burghs and burghs of barony.
The Local Government Act 1972 allows civil parishes in England and Wales to resolve themselves to be Town Councils, under section (245 subsection 6), which also gives the chairman of such parishes the title 'town mayor'. Many former urban districts and municipal boroughs have such a status, along with other settlements with no prior town status.
In more modern times it is often considered that a town becomes a city (or a village becomes a town) as soon as it reaches a certain population, although this is an informal definition and no particular numbers are agreed upon.
Lists of towns in the UK
- List of towns in England
- List of burghs in Scotland
- List of towns in Wales
- List of towns in Northern Ireland
List of major towns and cities in British Overseas Territories
Ranked by population:
- George Town, Cayman Islands (35,600)
- Gibraltar (29,431)
- Hamilton, Bermuda (13,500)
- West Bay, Cayman Islands (11,436)
- Bodden Town, Cayman Islands (10,341)
- Road Town, British Virgin Islands (9,400)
- Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands (3,700)
- Stanley, Falkland Islands (2,115)
- St. George's Town, Bermuda (1,648)
- Somerset Village, Bermuda (1,000)
- The Valley, Anguilla (1,169)
- Brades, Montserrat (approx. 1,000)