MILNET was physically separated from the ARPANET in 1983. The ARPANET remained in service for the academic research community, but direct connectivity between the networks was severed for security reasons. Gateways relayed electronic mail between the two networks. BBN Technologies built and managed both the MILNET and the ARPANET and the two networks used very similar technology. It is also known as "Military Net."
- DEFENSE DATA NETWORK NEWSLETTER DDN-NEWS 26, 6 May 1983
- Harris, Dr. Thomas G., et al., "Development of the MILNET," 15th Annual Electronics and Aerospace Systems Conference, Eascon 82, IEEE CH1828 Conference Record, 1982, pp. 77-80.
- ARPANET INFORMATION BROCHURE (NIC 50003) Defense Communications Agency, December 1985.
- Alex McKenzie; Dave Walden (1991). "ARPANET, the Defense Data Network, and Internet". The Froehlich/Kent Encyclopedia of Telecommunications. 1. CRC Press. pp. 341–375. ISBN 978-0-8247-2900-4.
- "What Was MILNET?". wiseGEEK. 26 June 2020. Retrieved 27 July 2020.