|Motto||Righteousness in the heart and beauty in the character|
|Principal||Dr. M.D.Prasad Patnaik|
|Chairman||Sri Pusapati Anand Gajapathi Raju|
|Undergraduates||2,192 per year|
|Address||Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh, India India, Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh, India|
Maharajah's College, or M. R. College, (Telugu: మహారాజా కళాశాల) is one of the oldest Colleges in India. It was established in 1879 by Sri Poosapati Vijayarama Gajapathi, Maharajah of Vizianagram. National Accreditation and Assessment Council (NAAC) assessed and accredited the institution with "B" grade.
There are 21 departments offering 19 undergraduate and postgraduate courses. There are about 150 permanent and temporary academic and support staff members with an annual intake of about 2,192 students in 2009.
The institution was founded by Sri Poosapati Vijayarama Gajapathi Raju, the Maharajah of Vizianagram. It was started as a middle school in 1857 and upgraded to a high school in 1868. It was upgraded to a college in 1879. Graduation classes were started in 1881 under the patronage of Sri Pusapati Ananda Gajapati Raju. The Rajah Saheb P. V. G. Raju gifted the Royal Palace to the college in 1948. The MANSAS (Maharajah Alak Narayan Society of Arts and Sciences) came into existence in 1958. Dr. P. V. G. Raju died on 13 November 1995. His son Dr. Poosapati Ananda Gajapathi Raju has taken charge as Chairman and Poosapati Ashok Gajapathi Raju is the Vice-Chairman. Autonomous status was conferred on the college in 1987.
For a list of Principals, see the end of this article.
|Name of the Principal||Term begins||Term ends|
|Sri C. Chandra Sekhara Sastry||1879||1887|
|Dr. K. Ramanujachari||1887||1920|
|Sri Y. Narasimham||1920||1922|
|Sri K. Janaki Rao||1922||1934|
|Sri U. Subbaraya Bhat||1934||1939|
|Sri S. Purushottam||1939||1945|
|Dr. K. R. Subrahmaniam||1945||1948|
|Dr. A. L. Narayan||1948||1956|
|Sri V. Venkata Rao||1956||1962|
|Dr. N. Ramlal||1962||1963|
|Sri V. Venkata Rao||1963||1969|
|Sri. V. Linga Murthy||1969||1976|
|Sri D. L. Satyanarayana||1976||1985|
|Sri. P. B. V. Raju||1985||1986|
|Sri K. Suresh Kumar||1986||1987|
|Sri M. V. Jagannadha Rao||1987||1988|
|Sri P. B. V. Raju||1988||1990|
|Sri G. V. R. Subrahmaniam||1990||1993|
|Dr. C. Madan Mohan Rao||1993||1994|
|Sri K. Ranga Rao||1994||1996|
|Sri. P. V. Sainadha Sastry||1996||1997|
|Sri P. Nagaraju||1998||1998|
|Dr. D. B. Subba Rao||1998||2001|
|Sri G. V. Suryanarayana||2001||2003|
|Dr. K. Subrahmanyam||2003||2004|
|Dr. A. Raghava Rao||2004||2004|
|Sri K. Atchuta Rao||2004||2005|
|Dr. A. Raghava Rao||2005||2006|
|Dr. A. V. D. Sarma||2006||2008|
|Sri M. V. Prabhakara Rao||2008||2008|
|Dr. D. R. K. Raju||2008||2011|
|Dr. Bh. Subrahmanyam||2011||2012|
|Dr. M. D. Prasad Patnaik||2012||2013|
|Dr. L. Ravi Kumar||2013||2015|
The Maharajah's College is spread over 18 acres, hosting six buildings with a construction area of 115,307 sq ft (10,712.4 m2). There are 51 class rooms, 21 laboratories and 10 staff rooms. There is a central library and 14 other departmental libraries. The central library hasn 50,00 books, and 20 computers connected to the Internet. There are two seminar halls and a Health centre. There is a boys hostel in the campus. There is a playground with facilities for volleyball, basketball, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, ball badminton, tennis, cricket, football and hockey. There are facilities for indoor games and a gymnasium. There is Andhra Bank branch in campus serving the needs of the staff and students.
- Department of Agriculture
- Department of Botany
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Economics
- Department of English
- Department of Geography
- Department of Geology
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History
- Department of Industrial Relations
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Politics
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Telugu
- Department of Zoology
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Physical Education
- Intermediate Course
- Biology, Physics and Chemistry
- Commerce, Economics and Civics
- Geography, Economics and Commerce
- Geology, Physics and Chemistry
- History, Civics and Special Telugu
- History, Economics and Civics
- Logic, Economics and Commerce
- Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Diploma in Computer Skills
- Diploma in Tally Accounting Executive Course
- Bachelor of Arts
- Economics, Politics and Philosophy
- History, Economics and Politics
- Industrial Relations, Economics and Politics
- Social Work, Economics and Politics
- Telugu, History and Politics
- Bachelor of Business Management
- Bachelor of Commerce
- Bachelor of Science
- Botany, Agriculture and Chemistry
- Botany, Zoology and Chemistry
- Geology, Physics and Chemistry
- Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- Mathematics, Physics and Geology
- Mathematics, Physics and Statistics
- Zoology, Agriculture and Chemistry
- Master of Science in Analytical Chemistry, Electronics, Organic Chemistry, Physics
Old Students's Association
Maharajah's College Old Students's Association (MRCOSA) has been functioning since the inception of college. Its organized the Maharajah Ananda Gajapati Sapada Sata Jayanti, the 125th Anniversary of Maharajah Ananda Gajapati Raju in 1976. It was revived when the college became Autonomous in 1987. It was made an integral part of the College in 1993.
Alumni of the institution are listed alphabetically:
- Prof. Allam Appa Rao, Vice Chancellor of Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada.
- Dr. A. L. Rao, Chief Operating Officer, Wipro
- Prof. Beela Satyanarayana, Vice Chancellor of Andhra University.
- Botsa Satyanarayana, Indian Parliamentarian.
- Bulusu Sambamurti, was an Indian lawyer, politician and freedom-fighter
- Chaganti Somayajulu, Telugu writers.
- Dwaram Bhavanarayana Rao, musicologist and Principal of Maharajah's Government College of Music and Dance.
- Dr. D. N. Rao
- Justice E. Venkatesam, former Judge of Andhra Pradesh High Court
- Justice G. Ramanujulu Naidu, former Judge of Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Ganti Jogi Somayaji, Telugu scholar and faculty in Andhra University.
- Ganti Prasada Rao, electrical engineering and systems science scholar, researcher and academician.
- Gidugu Venkata Ramamoorty, the father of Colloquial Telugu language movement.
- Gurazada Apparao, poet.
- Indukuri Ramakrishnam Raju, better known as Rajashri, dialogue and lyrics writer in Telugu cinema.
- J. V. Somayajulu, theater and film actor.
- Justice K. Punnayya, former Judge of Andhra Pradesh High Court and Member of Legislative Assembly.
- Dr. K. S. R. Krishna Rao
- General K. V. Krishna Rao, former Chief of the Army Staff of the Indian Army.
- Kala Venkata Rao, freedom fighter and politician.
- Kandala Subrahmanyam, lawyer and Member of Parliament from Vizianagaram constituency.
- Kotcherlakota Rangadhama Rao, Indian Physicist.
- M. V. Narayana Rao, Chief of Crime Investigation Department.
- N. Dilip Kumar, Chief of Anti-Corruption Branch.
- Nyapathi Kameswari better known as Radio Akkayya.
- P. L. N. Raju
- P. V. Ramanaiah Raja, founder of Sri Raja-Lakshmi Foundation.
- Major General P. V. Ramanaiah
- Pappu Venugopala Rao, musicologist.
- Justice Penmetsa Satyanarayana Raju former Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Pulapaka Seethapathi Rao, CEO of State Bank of Hyderabad during 1965-70
- Prof. (Dr.) Pyla Narayana Rao, Faculty at School of Corporate Law, Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs (IICA), New Delhi.
- Justice T. V. R. Tatachari, Chief Justice of Delhi High Court.
- V. R. Panthulu
- Vasantha Rao Venkata Rao, Physics teacher
- Vizianagaram district Official website.
- Biodata of Allam Apparao.
- Dr. A. L. Rao at Wipro Corporate.com
- Botcha Satyanarayana at Lok Sabha
- Biodata of Justice E. Venkatesam at Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Profile of G. Ramanujulu Naidu at Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Rajashri, 20th Century Telugu Luminaries, Part II, Potti Sriramulu Telugu University, Hyderabad, 2005, pp: 481-2.
- Profile of K. Punnayya at Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Biodata of Shri Kandala Subrahmanyam at Lok Sabha website.
- List of CID Chiefs.
- Official website of Pappu Venugopala Rao
- Profile of P. Satyanarayana Raju at Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- Biodata of T. V. R. Tatachari at Delhi High Court website.
17. Profile of Dr. Pyla Narayana Rao at http://www.iica.in/