Malcom training for Bordeaux in 2018
|Full name||Malcom Filipe Silva de Oliveira|
|Date of birth||26 February 1997|
|Place of birth||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Height||1.72 m (5 ft 7 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 05:07, 19 May 2019 (UTC)|
Malcom Filipe Silva de Oliveira (born 26 February 1997), or simply Malcom (Brazilian Portuguese: [ˈmawkõ]), is a Brazilian professional footballer who plays as a winger for English club Tottenham Hotspur F.C..
He began his career at Corinthians, making his professional debut in 2014 and winning the 2015 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. In January 2016, he transferred to Bordeaux, where he played 96 total games and scored 23 goals over the next two-and-a-half years. He signed for Barcelona for an initial fee of €41 million in 2018.
He was called by coach Mano Menezes into the first team and made his professional debut on 19 March 2014 in a Copa do Brasil first round game away to Bahia de Feira, playing the last ten minutes of the 2–0 win in place of Jádson. Four days later he made his sole appearance of the Campeonato Paulista season, coming on around the same mark for Luciano in a 3–0 home win over Atlético Sorocaba.
Malcom made his Campeonato Brasileiro Série A debut on 27 April 2014, as a substitute for Romarinho in a 2–0 home win over Flamengo. He scored his first professional goal on 18 September, opening a 1–1 draw with Chapecoense at Arena Corinthians.
He made his Ligue 1 debut a week later, starting in a 4–1 home loss to Saint-Étienne and being substituted for Thomas Touré after 69 minutes. On 10 February, he scored his first goal in the last 16 of the Coupe de France, putting the Girondins 3–2 up in extra time in a 3–4 loss to Nantes, also at the Matmut Atlantique. It was not until 30 April that he made an assist, for Cheick Diabaté in a 4–2 win at Troyes, and the following week he scored his lone league goal of the season to open a 3–0 home victory against Lorient.
On 27 September 2017, Malcom signed a new contract, tying him to the club until June 2021. His final season was his most prolific, with 12 goals, all in the league. This commenced with two on 19 August in a 3–3 draw at Lyon, including a long-distance equaliser in added time.
With several influential displays he quickly became a fan favourite at the club, spending three seasons and scoring 23 goals in 96 appearances across all competitions. His long-range goal against Dijon on 1 December 2017 was voted Goal of the Season at the Trophées UNFP du football.
On 24 July 2018, Spanish club Barcelona announced the signing of Malcom on a five-year contract for a reported transfer fee of €41 million plus an additional €1 million in bonuses. Corinthians received 2.5% of the fee.
He was previously close to joining Roma, with fans waiting for him to arrive at the airport and sporting director Monchi stating that the Italians would consider taking legal action against Barcelona.
Due to limits on players without European Union passports, Malcom was left out from the Barcelona squad that won the 2018 Supercopa de España. On 25 August, he made his official debut for the club in a 1–0 victory over Real Valladolid at the José Zorrilla, replacing compatriot Philippe Coutinho with six minutes left. On 6 November, Malcom scored his first competitive goal for Barcelona in a 1–1 away draw against Inter in the UEFA Champions League. On 6 February 2019, Malcom was given a surprising start against Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-finals first leg, scoring the equalizer in a 1-1 draw. On 2 April 2019, Malcom scored his first La Liga goal in a 4-4 draw away against Villarreal CF.
Malcom was called up to Brazil's under-20 national team to compete at the South American Youth Football Championship in Uruguay, where he scored one goal in six matches as the Seleção finished in fourth place.
In July 2015, state authorities in São Paulo discovered a fraud scheme when it was revealed that Malcom had obtained his driving licence – which usually takes three months of practice – only twenty days after his 18th birthday.
Malcom received criticism for his social media actions at Bordeaux: in September 2017 he posed for a photo with opponent Neymar after a heavy loss to Paris Saint-Germain, and three months later he and his compatriot teammates recorded a light-hearted video outside the stadium after a defeat.
- As of match played 25 May 2019
- "Malcom". FC Barcelona. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- Rubio, Alberto (24 July 2018). "Malcom: A winger who is a mixture between Willian and Neymar". Marca. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- "Everton boss Silva denies interest in Barcelona winger Malcom". FourFourTwo. 4 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019.
- Malcom at Soccerway. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Lang, Jack (20 January 2018). "No ego, no excuses – just a burning desire to win at all costs: Meet Malcom, the 'responsible irresponsible' superstar". The Independent. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Corintiano, Malcom se emociona com estreia" [Corinthian Malcom excited with debut] (in Portuguese). Tudo Timão. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Corinthians 3 X 0 Atlético Sorocaba" (in Portuguese). Meu Timão. 23 March 2014. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Marques, João Henrique (18 September 2014). "Corinthians joga mal, empata com Chapecoense e esfria ânimo para clássico" [Corinthians play badly, draw with Chapecoense and lose escitement for Clássico] (in Portuguese). UOL. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Le Brésilien Malcom à Bordeaux dimanche" [Brazilian Malcom to Bordeaux on Sunday]. L'Équipe (in French). 30 January 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Bordeaux agree to sign Corinthians' Malcom". Get Football News France.
- "Arambarri and Malcom join Bordeaux". Girondins TV.
- "Bordeaux battu par Saint-Etienne" [Bordeaux beaten by Saint-Etienne]. Sud-Ouest (in French). 7 February 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Nantes se qualifie et plonge Bordeaux dans la crise" [Nantes qualify and plunge Bordeaux into crisis]. Le Figaro (in French). 10 February 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Malcom quitte les Girondins de Bordeaux" [Malcom leaves Girondins de Bordeaux] (in French). FC Girondins de Bordeaux. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 26 July 2018.
- "Malcom prolonge l'aventure !" [Malcom extends his adventure!] (in French). FC Girondins de Bordeaux. 27 September 2017. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- Ceillier, Glenn (19 August 2017). "Bordeaux arrache le nul à Lyon" [Bordeaux snatch draw at Lyon] (in French). Eurosport. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Meet Malcom, the other Brazilian forward who is setting Ligue 1 alight". The Guardian.
- "Roma win race to land Malcom from Bordeaux". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- Bairner, Robin (23 May 2018). "Malcom, Aouar, Mbappe and the Ligue 1 Rising Stars of the Season". Goal.com. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Agreement with Girondins de Bordeaux for the transfer of Malcom". FC Barcelona. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Le Barça annonce le transfert de Malcom (Bordeaux)" [Barça announces the transfer of Malcom (Bordeaux)]. L'Équipe (in French). 24 July 2018. Retrieved 24 July 2018.
- "Corinthians receberá R$ 4,5 mi com ida de Malcom ao Barcelona" [Corinthians will receive R$4.5m from Malcom's transfer to Barcelona] (in Portuguese). R7. Estado. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- "Roma fans waiting at the airport for Malcom go home empty handed". Marca. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- "Barcelona sign Bordeaux's Malcom for £36.5m as Roma consider legal action". The Guardian. 24 July 2018. Retrieved 25 July 2018.
- Aldunate, Ramiro (12 August 2018). "Valverde plays it safe with regards to non-EU players". Marca. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Johnston, Neil (25 August 2018). "Real Valladolid 0–1 Barcelona". BBC Sport. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "Malcom a 7/10 in scoring first goal for Barca". ESPN. Retrieved 2018-11-07.
- "Barcelona battle back for 4-4 draw at Villarreal". 2019-04-02. Retrieved 2019-04-02.
- "Kenedy está desconvocado da Sub-20. Malcom será seu substituto" [Kenedy is dropped from the Under-20 team. Malcom will be his replacement] (in Portuguese). Brazilian Football Confederation. 17 May 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Malcom, Pablo get first call-ups for Brazil". Reuters. 21 September 2018. Retrieved 23 September 2018.
- "Detran descobre fraude após jogador do Corinthians tirar CNH" [Department of Transport discovers fraud after Corinthians player obtains driving licence] (in Portuguese). G1. 16 July 2015. Retrieved 27 July 2018.
- White, Adam; Devin, Eric (20 August 2018). "Gus Poyet melts down as Bordeaux go from crisis to crisis". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 August 2018.
- "Games played by Malcom in 2018/2019". Soccerbase. Centurycomm. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Malcom". Eurosport.com.
- "Final: Brazil 1–2 Serbia AET". Fifa.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Malcom (footballer).|