1962 (age 56–57)
|Alma mater||Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (BS & MBA)|
|Known for||co-founder of private equity firm Apollo Global Management|
|Net worth||US $ 3.2 billion (March 2018)|
|Spouse(s)||Carolyn G. Pleva|
Rowan was born to a Jewish family in 1962. His mother Barbara was a teacher and a trained concert pianist. He has one sister Andrea. Rowan graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. and an M.B.A. from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. After school, he worked in the Mergers & Acquisitions Group of Drexel Burnham Lambert where he worked in New York City and Los Angeles. In 1990, Rowan co-founded the private equity firm Apollo Global Management with former Drexel Burnham colleagues Leon Black and Joshua Harris. The firm went public in March 2011.
He is a founding member and serves on the executive committee of the Youth Renewal Fund and is a member of the board of directors for the National Jewish Outreach Program, the New York Police Foundation and serves on the Board of Overseers of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business. In October 2018, he donated $50 million to the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, the largest single gift in Wharton’s history. The funds will be used to recruit three Rowan Distinguished Professors, appoint Rowan Fellows and support the Penn Wharton Budget Model.
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - Marc Rowan March 2018
- U.S. Public Records Index, Vols. 1 & 2 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Jewish Enrichment Center: Marc Rowan Guest Speaker May 19, 2009 - minute 57:40| "I go to the non-Israel part of the Middle East around six times a year..it is evident to all that I am Jewish...and my Palestinian friends all know that I am Jewish and a supporter of Israel"
- Miami Herald: "Barbara J. Rowan Obituary June 20, 2014
- New York Times: "BARBARA ROWAN Obituary" June 22, 2014
- Apollo Global Management website: Our Team - Marc Rowan retrieved July 7, 2013
- Jewish Enrichment Center: Marc Rowan Guest Speaker May 19, 2009 - minute 55:30 | "I worked directly for Dennis Levine, who went to jail...and then went to work for Marty Siegel who also went to jail...I then moved out to California to work for Mike Milken who also went to jail. There are so many ethical dilemmas you are presented with over your career...the choices you make just determine who you are over time...I read these stories...the Morgan Stanley analysts who did this...did they not understand they are destroying their lives."
- Village Voice: "Mitt Loves N.Y.: Marc Rowan" By John Surico June 30, 2012
- "Apollo's Marc Rowan Gives Wharton $50 Million for Professorships". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- New York Observer: "A Brutal Buy: Billionaire Marc Rowan Pays $26 M. for Brutalist Masterpiece at 927 Fifth" By Kim Velsey January 2, 2013
- New York Times: "Paid Notice: Deaths PLEVA, EUGENE May 17, 2011