Matrouh Governorate on the map of Egypt
|Seat||Mersa Matruh (capital)|
|• Governor||Magdy Mohamed Ali El-Gharably |
|• Total||212,112 km2 (81,897 sq mi)|
|Population (January 2018)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
Matrouh Governorate (Egyptian Arabic: محافظة مطروح Muḥāfẓet Maṭrūḥ) is one of the governorates of Egypt. Located in the north-western part of the country, it borders Libya. Its capital is Mersa Matruh.
The interior of the Matrouh Governorate is part of Egypt's Western Desert, including the Siwa Oasis, in antiquity known for its shrine to Amun. In the center of the Governorate is the Qattara Depression, descending to 133 metres below sea level.
Marsa Matrouh is the ancient Koine Greek: Παραιτόνιον Paraitónion, Latin Paraetonium. It was the westernmost city of the Ptolemaic Kingdom in the Hellenistic period. The city of Apis, some 18 km to the west of Paraetonium, marked the boundary to Libycus nome, and the Halfaya Pass (at Sallum) marked the boundary to Marmarica proper.
Matrouh Governorate contains many historical sites related to World War II. The latter include el Alamein, which comprises cemeteries of fallen soldiers from Axis and Allied forces. An estimated 16 million mines, planted by the Europeans during the world wars and called "devil's gardens", still hinder development of most of the governorate, and are constantly being removed.
The province has been described as "religiously conservative".
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in urban areas, with an urbanization rate of 70.6%. Out of an estimated 447,846 people residing in the governorate, 316,005 people live in urban areas as opposed to only 131,841 in rural areas. 
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment (MOI), the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- The industrial zone in K 26
- "الجهاز المركزي للتعبئة العامة والإحصاء". www.capmas.gov.eg. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018.
- خارج القاهرة: ربع مليون فدان آلغام بمطروح - ONTV - 13 Jan 2012 (in Arabic)
- "Deepening rifts". The Economist. 25 Jan 2014.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Investment Regimes, Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 30 October 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Matruh Governorate Official website