Forbeck first became interested in role-playing games at age 13 when he started playing Dungeons & Dragons. He graduated in 1989 from the Residential College at the University of Michigan with a degree in creative writing. Forbeck has worked full-time on games and fiction since graduating from college. He was the editor on an adventure by Gary Gygax for New Infinities called Epic of Yarth: Necropolis.:239 He wrote Outlaw (1991) and Western Hero (1991) for the ICE/Hero Games consortium.:325 Forbeck and Shane Hensley formed Pinnacle Entertainment Group to publish Deadlands. Forbeck spent four years as the president of Pinnacle and two years as the director of the adventure games division at Human Head Studios. Shortly before Pinnacle and AEG dissolved their relationship, Forbeck left his company and came over to AEG, simultaneously selling his RPG Brave New World to AEG.:264 Forbeck has designed collectible card games, roleplaying games, miniatures games, and board games, and he has written short fiction, comic books, and novels for the companies Wizards of the Coast, Games Workshop, TSR, Decipher, White Wolf, Pinnacle, Green Ronin, AEG, Reaper Miniatures, Image Comics, WildStorm Productions, Idea + Design Works, and many others. Forbeck has also worked for Atari, Ubisoft, Mattel, Playmates Toys, and Human Head Studios. Along with novelist Jason Blair, he wrote the script for the video game Conduit 2.
Forbeck has won Origins Awards for Best Roleplaying Game for Deadlands and The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game, Best Miniatures Rules for Warzone and The Great Rail Wars, Best Roleplaying Adventure for Independence Day, Best Fantasy Board Game for Genestealer, and Best Short Story for "Prometheus Unwound" from The Book of All Flesh. He is the author of the well-received Secret of the Spiritkeeper, the first book in the Knights of the Silver Dragon series.
Blood Bowl series
- Blood Bowl (2005)
- Dead Ball (2005)
- Death Match (2006)
- Rumble in the Jungle (2007)
- The Blood Bowl Omnibus (2007) collects #1-3
Guild Wars series
- Ghosts of Ascalon (2010) with Jeff Grubb
Knights of the Silver Dragon series
- Secret of the Spiritkeeper (2004)
- Prophecy of the Dragons (2006)
- The Dragons Revealed (2006)
- Knights of the Silver Dragon (2008) omnibus of all three novels, with Ree Soesbee, Dale Donovan and Linda Johns
- The Lost Mark:
- Marked for Death (2005)
- The Road to Death (2006)
- The Queen of Death (2006)
- Mutant Chronicles (2008)
- Amortals (2010)
- Vegas Knights (2011)
- Carpathia (2012)
- Leverage: The Con Job (2012)
- Halo: New Blood (2015)
- Star Wars vs. Star Trek: Could the Empire Kick the Federation's Ass? And Other Galaxy-Shaking Enigmas (2011)
- Crocodilopolis (1992)
- Space Station Boomtown 13 (1994)
- Interesting Times (1994)
- Musings (1995)
- Reconciliation (1995)
- Talking Heads (1999)
- Reborn on the Bayou (1999)
- Head Games (1999)
- Prometheus Unwound (2001)
- Coming Home (2005)
- In the Belly of the Behemoth (2011)
- The Fury Pact (2012)
- "Author's Introduction" in The Blood Bowl Omnibus (2007)
- "Matt Forbeck (Author of Ghosts of Ascalon)".
- Jeremy Jones (April 6, 2008). "Dungeons & Dragons Co-creator Enriched the World with Fantasy". Spartanburg Herald-Journal.
- About Matt » Forbeck.com
- Shannon Appelcline (2011). Designers & Dragons. Mongoose Publishing. ISBN 978-1-907702-58-7.
- Paul Dellinger (October 8, 1998). "Niche Found in Game World: Their Business Is a Game". The Roanoke Times.
- "Matt Forbeck". Archived from the original on Feb 24, 2009.
- Forbeck, Matt (2007). "Space Hulk". In Lowder, James. Hobby Games: The 100 Best. Green Ronin Publishing. pp. 284–287. ISBN 978-1-932442-96-0.
- "Eric Nofsinger ('Conduit 2')". Feb 4, 2011.
- Eric Brown (December 11, 2010). "Review: Amortals, by Matt Forbeck". The Guardian. p. 9.
- Canberra Times. September 4, 2011. p. A26. Missing or empty
- Leverage: The Con Job » Forbeck.com
- The Con Job - Books by Matt Forbeck - Penguin Group (USA)
- Sharon Eberson (December 11, 2011). "Gifts for the Pop Culture Fan". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. p. A10.
- Matt Forbeck's official site
- Matt Forbeck Interview on the Magic: The Gathering Comic
- Matt Forbeck interview, Gen Con 2009
- Doomzine #23 interview with Matt Forbeck
- Matt Forbeck: The Terrible Minds Interview
- Interview: Matt Forbeck « Kobold Quarterly
- http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=151 archive
- Matt Forbeck at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Review : Carpathia