This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Full name||Mauro Ramos de Oliveira|
|Date of birth||30 August 1930|
|Place of birth||Poços de Caldas, Brazil|
|Date of death||18 September 2002(aged 72)|
|Place of death||Poços de Caldas, Brazil|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Mauro Ramos de Oliveira (30 August 1930 – 18 September 2002), known as Mauro Ramos or simply Mauro, was a Brazilian professional association footballer. He played as a central defender for São Paulo FC, Santos FC and the Brazilian national team.
Regarded as one of the best Brazilian centre backs of all time, he was praised throughout his career for his aerial ability and tackling.
Born in Poços de Caldas, Minas Gerais, Mauro began his career playing for amateur clubs in his hometown in the 1940s. Notably representing Caldense, he joined São Paulo FC in 1948 from Sanjoanense.
Ahead of the 1960 season, Mauro moved to Santos FC for a fee of five million cruzeiros. He was also a first-choice at his new club, being a part of the team who was widely known as Os Santásticos'.
Mauro received 22 caps with the Brazilian national team. He was an unplaying member of the Brazil squad at the 1954 World Cup. He was also an unplaying member of the squad that won the 1958 World Cup. At the 1962 World Cup he finally made his World Cup debut and as team captain he lifted the World Cup Trophy after victory in the final over Czechoslovakia.
After starting it out at C.D. Oro, Mauro was appointed manager of Santos in 1971. He left the club in the following year.
- Campeonato Paulista: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1964, 1965
- Brazilian Trophy: 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965
- Copa Libertadores: 1962, 1963
- Intercontinental Cup: 1962, 1963
- Torneio Rio-São Paulo: 1959, 1963, 1964, 1966
- Recopa Intercontinental: 1968
- SHARMA, RIK (April 3, 2013). "After shackling Messi, Thiago Silva proved himself as one of the great Brazil defenders (there's not been many, but here's our top six...)". Daily Mail. Retrieved March 7, 2016.
- "Craques do Passado" [Past stars] (in Portuguese). AA Caldense. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "Mauro Ramos de Oliveira... um nobre que não se sujava" [Mauro Ramos de Oliveira... a gentleman who did not get dirty] (in Portuguese). Tardes de Pacaembu. June 9, 2013. Retrieved November 26, 2018.
- "Morre Mauro Ramos, o capitão do bi" [Dies Mauro Ramos, the captain of the bi] (in Portuguese). Tribuna PR. September 19, 2002. Retrieved November 26, 2018.