Pre-facelift Mazda CX-5 Maxx AWD (Australia)
|Production||October 26, 2012—present|
|Assembly||Ujina Plant No.2, Hiroshima Plant, Hiroshima, Japan
|Designer||Masashi Nakayama (2009)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Layout||Front engine, front-wheel drive / four-wheel drive|
|Platform||MAZDA SKYACTIV platform|
|Engine||2.0 L SKYACTIV-G (PE-VPS) I4
2.5 L SKYACTIV-G (PY-VPS) I4
2.2 L SKYACTIV-D (SH-VPTS) I4
|Wheelbase||2,700 mm (106.3 in)|
|Length||4,540 mm (178.7 in)|
|Width||1,840 mm (72.4 in)|
|Height||1,670 mm (65.7 in)|
|Curb weight||1,455–1,555 kg (3,208–3,428 lb)|
The Mazda CX-5  is a compact crossover produced by Mazda starting in 2012 for the 2013 model year lineup. It is Mazda's first car featuring the new KODO – Soul of Motion Design language first shown in the Shinari concept vehicle in May 2011. It shares a platform with Mazda3 and Mazda6. It is also the first vehicle featuring the company's full Skyactiv Technology suite, featuring a rigid, lightweight platform, combined with a new series of efficient engines and transmissions resulting in reduced emissions and fuel consumption. The Skyactiv Engine and Transmission Technologies were released in the 2012 Mazda3 compact sedan and hatchback.
MINAGI Concept (2011)
Mazda MINAGI (マツダ 勢(MINAGI)) concept car is the first Mazda vehicle featuring Mazda's new 'KODO – Soul of Motion' design language and SKYACTIV technologies.
Japanese model was unveiled in 2011 Tokyo Motor Show, and a customized variant featuring red exterior body color with alloy wheels painted in matte-black and slightly lower body height later 2012 Tokyo Motor Salon Production models went on sale in 2012, with choice of SKYACTIV-D 2.2 or SKYACTIV-G 2.0 engines, SKYACTIV-DRIVE 6-speed automatic transmission.
- Engine and Drivetrain
The CX-5 is available with both front and all-wheel drive, powered by a 2.0 liter petrol four-cylinder engine (PE-VPS) sporting 162 bhp (121 kW; 164 PS)/155 lb·ft (210 N·m) averaging an estimated 28 mpg-imp (10 L/100 km; 23 mpg-US) emitting around 139 g/km.
It will also be available with a 2.2 liter two-stage turbocharged diesel (SH-VPTS) with either 147 bhp (110 kW; 149 PS)/280 lb·ft (380 N·m) or 173 bhp (129 kW; 175 PS)/310 lb·ft (420 N·m), emitting an estimated 119 and 139 g/km, respectively. The EPA rated the CX-5's gas mileage as the best in its class, averaging 26mpg city and 35mpg highway, which Mazda claims is the best mileage of any non-hybrid SUV. Fuel consumption for the entry-level diesel engine with front wheel drive is 63 mpg-imp (4.5 L/100 km; 52 mpg-US).
Japan production of Mazda CX-5 with SKYACTIV-D 2.2 diesel engine began at Ujina Plant near Mazda's headquarters in Hiroshima.
In 2012, Mazda CX-5 production at Ujina Plant was set to increase to 240,000 units per year by expanding production from Ujina Plant No.2 to also include Ujina Plant No.1.
The Japan domestic market CX-5 achieved monthly sales 8 times higher than forecast right after its launch in February 2012, with the "clean diesel" (as it is referred to in Japan) model accounting for 73% of these.
The Australian Production includes the CX-5 Akera SKYACTIV and the CX-5 Maxx with Bluetooth system included. Across the Mazda CX-5 range you will get a rear camera which is across the standard range. The Mazda CX-5 Maxx is the price leading and is well equipped with keyless ignition, trip computer and cruise control but the more expensive Akera takes the features to the next level. 
- North America
To promote the CX-5, Mazda teamed up with Universal Pictures for their strategic partnership in support for the launch of the movie, Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, and Mazda launched a co-branded national Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax-themed commercial spot based around Mazda’s SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY.
The U.S. version of the CX-5 debuted at the Los Angeles Auto Show. Initially, the only engine available is a direct-injected, 2.0-liter four-cylinder Skyactiv-G gasoline engine with 155 bhp (116 kW; 157 PS), which is less than the 163 bhp (122 kW; 165 PS) first reported. However, it is rated at 26 mpg city and 32 mpg highway with automatic transmission and 26 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with manual transmission.
For the 2014 model year, an available 2.5-liter four-cylinder Skyactiv gas engine was introduced to address the main criticism of the CX-5. It is rated at 184HP/ 185-lb.ft with an EPA MPG rating of 25/32 (FWD), 24/30 (AWD). Only the 6-speed automatic transmission is available for this engine. This engine is standard on the Touring and Grand Touring trim levels. The 2.0 engine carries over in the base Sport model. Front-wheel drive and All-wheel drive are offered for all model grades.
|Calendar Year||Total USA sales|
The facelift model Mazda CX-5 was unveiled at the 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show as a 2016 model. Notable changes include updates to exterior styling, reductions in road noise, an improved infotainment system and a sport mode for the 6-speed automatic transmission. The Technology package on Touring & Grand Touring Models also get LED headlights, LED fog lights & combination LED tail lights. The available engine options remain the same.
- "Mazda CX-5 Production Line 2011". Mazda Group Video. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "Mazda Group – Production Sites in Japan". mazda.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "2013 Mazda CX-5: production with SKYACTIV diesel engine begins". auto123.com. Retrieved 2012-01-27.
- "Yahoo". Yahoo.
- "Mazda Joined Ranks of Cars Assembled in Russia".
- "Both Mazda CX-5 and CX-7 Will Be Built in China".
- "Mazda to Launch All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV". mazda.com. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "CX-5". MAZDA. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- MAZDA: Mazda Design, 2011
- Paris Preview: Mazda debuts new Kodo design language with Shinari Concept, 2010
- Vijayenthiran, Viknesh (December 15, 2011). "Mazda CX-5 Platform To Spawn Next-Gen Mazda6 And Mazda3". MotorAuthority. High Gear Media. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Skyactiv Technology". MAZDA. Retrieved 2011-09-05.
- Jeremy Korzeniewski (1 March 2011). "Geneva 2011: Handsome Mazda Minagi Concept previews production crossover". Autoblog.
- "【MAZDA】ニュース". mazda.co.jp.
- "MAZDA:Mazda MINAGI Concept to Showcase Mazda's All-new SKYACTIV Technologies and KODO Design at the Geneva Motor Show - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "MAZDA:Mazda Announces New Compact SUV Will be Mazda CX-5 - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "Road test: 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT By Nick Tragianis". Postmedia News. 2011-10-20. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- "MAZDA:Mazda TAKERI to Bow at 2011 Tokyo Motor Show - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "【MAZDA】ニュース". mazda.co.jp.
- "MAZDA:Mazda to Display Mazda CX-5 at Tokyo Auto Salon 2012 - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "【MAZDA】ニュース". mazda.co.jp.
- "MAZDA:Mazda to Launch All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "Mazda Press Release: CX-5 Wins Car of the Year Japan". Mazda.
- Mazda CX-5 2.0 FWD Skyactiv-MT, 2011
- "EPA rates 2013 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy top in class". News.consumerreports.org. 2012-01-11. Retrieved 2012-05-29.
- Mazda CX-5 2.2d 4WD Auto review, September 2011
- 2012 Mazda CX-5 fuel economy revealed at Frankfurt Motor Show, September 14th 2011
- "MAZDA:Mazda Commences Production of Mazda CX-5 with New-Generation Super Clean SKYACTIV-D Diesel Engine - News Releases". mazda.com.
- "MAZDA:Mazda to Increase Mazda CX-5 Production Capacity - News Releases". mazda.com.
- Integrity Exports (2012-04-11). "Mazda CX-5 "Clean Diesel" Reverses Diesel's Decline in Japan By Stephen Munday". IntegrityExports.com.
- Hawley, Jonathan. "New car review: Mazda CX-5 Akera". drive.com. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- MAZDA: All-New Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV World Premiere at 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, 2011
- "【MAZDA】ニュース". mazda.co.jp.
- "2013 Mazda CX-5 Specs Released: 155 HP, Up to 33 MPG Highway, No Manual/AWD Combo".
- "2013 Mazda CX-5 First Drive Review". Blog.caranddriver.com. 2011-11-16. Retrieved 2012-06-30.
- Sebastian Blanco (2012-11-29). "Ford Fusion wins 2013 Green Car Of The Year". Autoblog. Retrieved 2012-11-29.
- "MAZDA REPORTS CALENDAR-YEAR 2013 SALES - Jan 3, 2014". mazdausamedia.com.
- "MAZDA REPORTS BEST ANNUAL SALES IN 20 YEARS - Jan 5, 2015". mazdausamedia.com.
- "Mazda CX-5 Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR". www.goodcarbadcar.net. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- "2016 Mazda CX-5 Photos and Info – News – Car and Driver". caranddriver.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mazda CX-5.|
- Official CX-5 US website
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (Canadian)
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (Japanese)
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (United Kingdom)
- Official Mazda CX-5 Website (Australia)
- Harga Mazda CX 5 Official
|Mazda automobile timeline, North American market, 1980s–present|
|Sports||MX-5 Miata||MX-5 Miata||MX-5 Miata||MX-5 Miata|
|* Mazda5 only available in Canada since 2015|