MSI Wind Netbook
This article's factual accuracy may be compromised due to out-of-date information. (August 2010)
|Media||80, 120, 160 or 250 GB 2.5" HDD|
|Operating system||Windows 7 Starter, Windows XP, Linux|
|CPU||Intel Atom @ 1.60 / 1.66 GHz (N270, N280, N450)|
|Memory||1 GB (Linux) or 1 GB / 2 GB (Windows)|
|Display||10" (25.4 cm) 1024 x 600 LED-backlit TFT LCD|
1.3 Megapixel Webcam
|Connectivity||10/100 Mbit Ethernet|
802.11b/g/n wireless LAN
3 USB 2.0 ports
4-in-1 Flash Memory card reader
Bluetooth (only Windows version, not Aldi Medion version)
|Power||6-cell (5.5 hours) or 3-cell (2.5 hours)|
|Dimensions||25.98 × 18.0 × 3.40 cm|
|Mass||1.0 kg (3-cell battery) or 1.2 kg (6-cell)|
The MSI Wind Netbook was a family of subnotebooks / netbooks designed by Micro-Star International (MSI). Wind stands for "Wi-Fi Network Device". The first model was announced at CeBIT 2008, and first listed for pre-orders on May 9, 2008. While initially 8.9- and 10.1-inch screen versions existed, as of 2010 only the 10.1" remained, with a resolution of 1024×600. While most models had 1 GB of RAM, some had 2 GB, and hard disks ranged from 80 GB on the oldest to 250 GB on the newest models. Also featured were Bluetooth, WLAN and a 1.3 megapixel camera. The Wind PC was MSI's response to the successful Asus Eee PC. The keyboard was 92% of full-size.
Now available by MSI are 10-inch and 7-inch Wind Pad tablets using the Android operating system.
When the original Wind U100 was released, many original equipment manufacturer versions of the Wind were also released, under different names.
- Advent 4211, 4222 as an in-store brand for PC City, PC World and other Dixons Stores Group retailers in Europe and the UK.
- Ahtec LUG N011 in the Netherlands, Spain and Belgium. Offered with SUSE Linux, Windows XP or no operating system. Has the same design as the original Wind (white). Comes without logo on the case. Can be upgraded at purchase.
- Averatec Buddy
- Axioo Pico in Indonesia with a 160 GB HDD, versions with and without Bluetooth
- Certified Data U100 in Canada, sold at London Drugs.
- LG X110, marketed in Argentina, Brazil (modelos x110-1010 & 1000) and Sweden
- Hannspree HANNSnote with a 6-cell battery and a 160 GB HDD
- Medion Akoya Mini in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Spain, France, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Poland and Australia (as of 23 October 2008) (the Medion Akoya Mini is a slightly different containing a different wireless card, no Bluetooth (Aust. model features mini Bluetooth dongle), and 0.3 Mpx camera).
- Mivvy M310 in the Czech Republic. but with 2GB of RAM and a 120GB HDD.
- Mouse Computer LuvBook U100 in Japan.
- Multirama HT Xpress Book in Greece with 160 GB HDD
- NTT Corrino 101I and Aristo Pico i300 in Poland
- Positivo Mobo White in Brazil, with 4 models: 1000, 1050, 1070 and 1090. All sport Intel Atom Processors and range from 512 MB RAM / 80 GB HDD (Mobo White 1000) to 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD (Mobo White 1090).
- Proline U100 in South Africa.
- ProLink Glee TA-009 in Singapore with touchpad buttons positioned by the side and optional 3G HSDPA connectivity.
- RoverBook Neo U100 in Russia with 120 GB or 160 GB HDD
- Terra 10G in Europe with various option
- Tsunami Moover T10 in Portugal (XP version only)
Some OEM versions are offered in different colors to the original MSI Wind, apart from the Tsunami Moover (white only), the Mobo White and the Ahtec LUG N011 (white only).
|Linux Version||Windows XP Version / Advent 4211||Medion Akoya Mini||Windows 7 Version|
|Operating System||Novell Linux (SUSE)||Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition||Windows 7|
|Memory[Note 1]||1 GB DDR2/667 MHz (onboard)||1 GB DDR2/667 MHz (SODIMM)||1 GB DDR2/667 MHz (onboard)|
|WLAN||802.11 b/g||802.11 n|
|Webcam||1.3 megapixels||0.3 megapixels||1.3 megapixels|
|Bluetooth||No||Yes||No (some regions include free USB module)||Yes|
|Chipset||Intel 945GSE, ICH7-M|
|Display||8.9"W or 10.1"W (1024×600) LCD with LED backlighting||10.1"|
|Hard Drive||Western Digital Scorpio 80 GB,120 GB or 160 GB / 2.5" SATA / 5400 RPM|
|Battery||3-cell, 2200 mA·h: 2.5 hours or 6-cell, 5200 mA·h: 5.5 hours (in some areas 4400 mA·h)|
|USB||2 USB 1.0, 1 USB 2.0 Ports|
|Audio Interface||3.5 mm jack Input/Output connectors|
|Card Reader||4-in-1 Card Reader– SD/SDHC, MMC, MS, MS Pro|
|Dimension||260 x 180 x 19–34 mm (10.23" x 7.08" x 0.748"/1.34") 38 mm thick w/feet|
|Weight||2.3 lb (1.04 kg) for 3-cell, 2.6 lb (1.18 kg) for 6-cell|
|Touchpad||2.0 x 1.7 inch (Initial batches had a Synaptics touchpad with gestures, though later batches have a Sentelic touchpad with less widespread driver support)|
- 2 GB maximum memory.
The MSI Wind netbooks (specifically the MSI Wind U100) have been subject to customization; especially as Hackintoshes. Though many other netbooks can also be installed with Mac OS X, the MSI Wind is one of the most popular mainly because of its ideally large keyboard, simple design, and wide availability of options. The MSI Wind (specifically the U100) can be installed with Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8 with a modified bootloader and kernel. Installing Chrome OS and turning it into a Chromebook is also a common customization.
- "MSI's Wind PC 10-inch pictured". www.fudzilla.com. 2008-03-10. Archived from the original on 2008-03-13. Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- "MSI Wind listed". www.fudzilla.com. 2008-05-09. Archived from the original on 2008-05-10. Retrieved 2008-05-09.
- , “Up close with Dell’s Eee PC killer”.
- "Medion Akoya E1210 to take on Eee PC". www.mobilecomputermag.co.uk. 2008-04-24. Archived from the original on 2008-08-26. Retrieved 2008-08-08.
- Averatec’s Buddy netbook available for $449.99 www.netbooktech.com
- Now shipping: Averatec Buddy Netbook 13 October 2008, news.cnet.com
- AVERATEC Buddy 10.2" Netbook Archived 2009-06-24 at the Wayback Machine www.trigem.com
- "LuvBook U-Series". Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Netbook Aristo Pico i300". Archived from the original on 2008-12-16. Retrieved 2008-12-04.
- "Tsunami Moover T10".
- MSI Wind Description– eXpansys UK Archived July 16, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Play.com (UK) : MSI Wind U100 / Atom 1.6 GHz / 1 GB / 80 GB / 10" / Linux / Netbook / Pink : Computing– Free Delivery
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MSI Wind.|