|Traded as||TWSE: 2377|
|Founded||August 4th, 1986|
|Headquarters||Zhonghe District, New Taipei City, Taiwan|
|Joseph Hsu (Chairman)|
|Revenue||US$2.7 billion (2014)|
Number of employees
MSI (Micro-Star International Co., Ltd, Chinese: 微星科技股份有限公司) is a Taiwanese multinational information technology corporation headquartered in New Taipei City, Taiwan. It designs, develops and provides computer hardware, related products and services, including laptops, motherboards, graphics cards, All-in-One PCs, servers, industrial computers, PC peripherals, car infotainment products, etc.
The company has a primary listing on the Taiwan Stock Exchange and was established in August 1986 by 5 founders – Hsu Xiang (a.k.a. Joseph Hsu), Huang Jinqing (a.k.a. Jeans Huang), Lin Wentong (a.k.a. Frank Lin), Yu Xian'neng (a.k.a. Kenny Yu), and Lu Qilong (a.k.a. Henry Lu). First starting its business in New Taipei City, Taiwan, MSI later expanded into Mainland China, setting up its Baoan Plant in Shenzhen in 2000 and establishing research and development facilities in Kunshan in 2001. It also provides global warranty service in North America, Central/South America, Asia, Australia and Europe.
The company has been a sponsor for a number of eSports teams and is also the host of the international gaming event MSI Masters Gaming Arena (formerly known as MSI Beat IT). The earliest Beat IT tournament can be traced back to 2010, featuring Evil Geniuses winning the championship.
The company first built its reputation on developing and manufacturing computer motherboards and graphics cards. It established its subsidiary FUNTORO in 2008 to provide solutions for vehicle infotainment. Now it provides a variety of products ranging from laptops, gaming laptops, motherboards, graphics cards, all-in-one PCs, mobile workstations, barebone computers, servers, IPCs, multimedia peripherals to vehicle infotainment solutions, smart cleaning robots, panoramic Wi-Fi cameras, etc.
When established in 1986, MSI focused on the design and manufacturing of motherboards and add-on cards. Later that year, it introduced the first overclockable 286 motherboard.
In 1989, MSI introduced its first 486 motherboard; in 1993, its first 586 motherboard; in 1995, its Dual Pentium Pro-based motherboard. In 1997 it introduced its Intel Pentium II-based motherboard with Intel MMX Technology, along with its first graphics card product, and its first barebone product; in 1990 it introduced its first Socket 7 based motherboard, and in 2002, its first PC2PC Bluetooth & WLAN motherboard.
In 2000 MSI introduced its first set-top box product. In 2003, its first Pen Tablet PC product (PenNote3100), and in 2004, its first Notebook product (M510C). In 2009, MSI introduced its first Ultra Slim Notebook (X320), and first All-in-One PC (AP1900).
In 1997, MSI inaugurated its Plant I in Jung-He city; in 2000, it inaugurated its Plant III in Jung-He city
In 1998, it became a public company with an IPO (Initial Public Offering) on the Taipei Stock Exchange (TAIEX).
In 2000, MSI Computer (Shenzhen) Co., Ltd. was founded, and in 2001, MSI Electronics (Kunshan) Co., Ltd.
In 2008, MSI was ranked among the Top 20 Taiwan Global Brands. In 2011, the firm was named one of the Top 100 Taiwan Brands, distinguished among 500 brands. By 2013, MSI has been awarded from Taiwan Excellence for 15 consecutive years.
Manufacturing initially took place at plants in Taiwan.
The company has branch offices in the Americas, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South Africa. As of 2015 the company has employed a global workforce of over 13,500 and has a global presence in over 120 countries, spanning the Americas, Europe/Middle East/Africa (EMEA) and Asia Pacific.
- "Micro-Star International Co (2377:Taiwan Stock Exchange)". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "Xiang Xu, General Manager and Chairman, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "Jin Qing Huang, Senior Vice President of Research and Development Headquarter and Director, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "The Distro Interview: MSI Senior Vice President and co-founder, Jeans Huang". Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- "Wen Tong Lin, Senior Vice President of Materials and Director, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "GLOBAL WARRANTY SERVICE LOCATIONS". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI Gaming teams". Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "MSI Masters Gaming Arena 2015". Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "MSI Masters Gaming Arena 2015 at gosugamers". Retrieved October 21, 2015.
- "Coverage: MSI Beat IT Global 2014". Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- "MSI Beat IT 2014: Global Gaming Competition a Spectacular Festival That Leaves All Longing For More". Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- "Evil Geniuses win MSI BEAT IT 2010". Retrieved March 4, 2015.
- "MSI GE60 Apache 033 Gaming Laptop Review". Gaming Laptop. Retrieved 2015-02-25.
- "MSI PenNote 3100 Tablet PC". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI MEGABOOK M510C". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI X320 Ultra Slim Notebook". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI AP1900 All-in-One PC". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI TEAMS WITH HTC, LAUNCHES 'MAC PRO' BOX FOR VR GAMING". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "MSI, HP and Alienware reveal Vive-Ready VR PCs". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "ALIENWARE AND MSI OFFER POWERFUL VIVE OPTIMIZED SYSTEMS". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "HP, Alienware and MSI Partner with HTC to Offer Vive-Ready PCs". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "MSI Vortex and HTC Vive Partnership: Ultimate VR Experience?". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "VIVE OPTIMIZED PCs". Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "2008 Top Taiwan Global Brands". Retrieved October 23, 2015.
- "MSI was named one of the Top 100 Taiwan Brands in the "Top 100 Taiwan Brands" activity, August 29, 2011.". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI Taiwan Excellence Award Winner: 15 years of affirmation, January 18, 2013". Retrieved February 5, 2015.
- "MSI: Best and Worst Laptop Brands 2015". Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "Best & Worst Laptop Brands 2015". Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- "headquarters". Retrieved October 21, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Micro-Star International.|