Lacul Morii in September 2014
Map of Lacul Morii
|Max. length||1.2 km (0.75 mi)|
|Max. width||2 km (1.2 mi)|
|Surface area||2.46 km2 (0.95 sq mi)|
|Average depth||6 m (20 ft)|
|Max. depth||7 m (23 ft)|
|Water volume||0.015 km3 (0.0036 cu mi)|
|Shore length1||7 km (4.3 mi)|
|Surface elevation||78 m (256 ft)|
|Islands||Lacul Morii Island|
|1 Shore length is not a well-defined measure.|
Lacul Morii ("Mill Lake") is the largest lake in Bucharest, with an area of 246 ha. The lake is approximately 6 km from the center of Bucharest (Piața Unirii) and is located between: Polytechnic University of Bucharest neighborhood to the East, Crangaşi and Giulești districts at North, Militari district at South. The type of it is accumulation lake, made in 1986 mainly to protect the city against floods. It is also a recreation area. It provides a constant flow on Dâmboviţa river in the capital. The lake was built by a dam 15 m high, with a central body of concrete, earth dams extended lengthwise with a total length of 7 km. Lake volume is 14.7 million m³, with a flood mitigation portion of 1.6 million m³, beyond the normal retention. Effectively, to mitigate flooding, the lake volume can be increased when floods are predicted. Making a lake near an urban area required decommissioning of existing uses, including demolition and decommissioning of a church.
On the south of Lacul Morii there is a peninsula.
Lacul Morii Island
On the north part of the lake is situated Lacul Morii island, the only island of Bucharest. On the island volunteers planted 475 trees in 2011. The island hosted several big music concerts.
Water-sports, Shows, Concerts and Festivals on Lacul Morii
The lake is used as a recreation area and there are boat and water-sport contests and shows including air shows. Coke Live Music Festival and other concerts were organised on Lacul Morii area. Windsurfing is very popular on Lacul Morii. There are windsurf courses on the lake, but water-ski, skijet and other water sports are also popular.
Projects for Lacul Morii
There are projects to make Lacul Morii a travel destination. There are also projects to make the Lacul Morii area a modern residential, commercial and business area. Another project is a highway tunnel which will link Lacul Morii to the Civic Center (Piața Unirii) and the A1 freeway.
- Show aeronautic pe Lacul Morii, Ziare.com, May 27, 2011
- "În ADMINISTRARE" (in Romanian). Administraţia Lacuri, Parcuri şi Agrement. 2009-02-17. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- Lacul Morii din Capitală, ecologizat de elevii de la "Grigore Moisil" Romania Libera, April 16, 2010
- Tristele povesti din adancul Lacului Morii, EVZ, 14-02-2008
- Bucurestiul are o insula. Cum procedam?, HotNews, September 7, 2005
- Voluntarii DTZ Echinox au plantat 450 de copaci pe insula Lacul Morii din Bucureşti BusinessCover.ro, April 20, 2011
- Voluntariat pentru „inverzirea” insulei „Lacul Morii” EcoTrend.ro, April 20, 2011
- Coke Live pe insula de pe Lacul Morii Best Music.ro, Apr 20, 2007
- Festival international pe Insula Lacul Morii 9am.ro May 30, 2007
- Spectacol aeronautic deasupra Lacului Morii din Capitală Realitatea TV, Sep 18, 2010
- Windsurf pe lacul Morii Wall Street Ro August 12, 2011
- Pe Lacul Morii poeziile.com retrieved on Oct 26, 2011
- Lacul Morii din Bucuresti va fi amenajat cu 1,43 mil. euro Wall Street Ro, June 10, 2010
- SL Group Lacul Morii Project slgroup.hu, retrieved on Oct 26, 2011
- Oprescu ar vrea un tunel între Lacul Morii şi ieşirea spre autostrada A1 Curierul National, Feb 11, 2011