|• Total||3,406.23 km2 (1,315.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||25/km2 (64/sq mi)|
Nemuro (根室振興局 Nemuro-shinkō-kyoku) is a subprefecture of Hokkaido Prefecture, Japan. Japan claims the southern parts of the disputed Kuril Islands (known as the Northern Territories in Japan) as part of this subprefecture.
As of March 2009, the subprefecture has an estimated population of 84,035, and an area of 3406.23 km².
- November 1897: Nemuro Subprefecture established.
- November 1897: Shana Subprefecture established.
- December 1903: Shana Subprefecture and Nemuro Subprefecture merged.
- August 1945: Soviets occupied the Kuril Islands.
- Nemuro (capital)
Towns and villages by district
Districts in the Northern Territories
- Also known as the Southern Kuril Islands (administered by Russia, claimed by Japan; see Kuril Islands dispute):
- Kunashiri (Kunashir)
- Etorofu (Iturup)
Districts renounced in San Francisco Treaty
- Official Website (in Japanese)
|This Hokkaidō location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|