Nitesh Tiwari at 48th International Film Festival of India in 2017
|Residence||Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay|
|Spouse(s)||Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari|
Nitesh Tiwari is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and lyricist known for his works in Bollywood. He made his directorial debut by co-directing Chillar Party (2011) which won the National Film Award for Best Children's Film for that year. He then directed the supernatural political drama Bhoothnath Returns (2014) which became a box office hit.
In 2016, he scripted, and directed Dangal which was screened at the Beijing International Film Festival in April 2017 and second BRICS festival in June 2017. The film is the highest-grossing Indian films and the fifth highest grossing non-English film, having collected over ₹2,000 crore (US$280 million) of which more than ₹1,200 crore was earned in China, where it has emerged as one of the top 20 highest-grossers of all time. Tiwari has garnered the Filmfare Best Director Award at the 62nd Filmfare Awards, and the Telstra People's Choice Award at the 2017 Indian Film Festival of Melbourne. He won the Filmfare award for best director in 2017 for directing Dangal.
Tiwari was born into a Hindu family in Itarsi, Madhya Pradesh to B. D. Tiwari. He has a brother and a sister. He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay in 1996 with a Bachelor's degree in Metallurgy and Material Science engineering. Tiwari worked as a creative director at Leo Burnett before he entered Bollywood.
He lives at a quaint bungalow in Chembur with his wife Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, who was his colleague and creative director at Leo Burnett. She turned a film director. The couple have twins, a boy and a girl.
|2011||Chillar Party||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||National Film Award for Best Children's Film|
|2016||Nil Battey Sannata||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2016||Dangal||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Telstra People's Choice Award|
Filmfare Award for Best Director
|2017||Bareilly Ki Barfi||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- "59th National Film Awards for the Year 2011 Announced". Press Information Bureau (PIB), India. Retrieved 7 March 2012.
- "Vidya Balan wins National Award for 'The Dirty Picture'". The Times Of India.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "Featured Movie News - Featured Bollywood News - Bollywood Hungama". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Bhoothnath Returns Fails To Make An Impact". Box Office India Trade Network. Box Office India. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- "China's 'Dangal' mega-success echoes at second BRICS film festival".
- "Aamir Khan's Rs 2,000 crore dream". Deccan Chronicle. 24 June 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "Dangal Update Worldwide And All Formats".
- 内地总票房排名 [Mainland total box office ranking] (in Chinese). Retrieved 21 May 2017.
- Goswami, Parismita (12 August 2017). "IFFM 2017: Aishwarya Rai looks gorgeous; Sushant Singh wins Best Actor award [PHOTOS]". International Business Times, India Edition.
- "My next a departure from children's films: Nitesh Tiwari". IANS - Yahoo. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Winners of the 62nd Filmfare Awards 2017 - filmfare.com". www.filmfare.com.
- "Dangal director Nitesh Tiwari's next film with Sajid Nadiadwala". 20 February 2017.
- ""This Is The First Time In My Career That Aamir Khan Has Said Yes To A Film After The First Narration" – Nitesh Tiwari". Man's World. 22 December 2016. Retrieved 23 May 2017.