Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Ashwini Iyer Tiwari|
Iyer at the 63rd Jio Filmfare Awards 2018
15 October 1979|
Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari (born 15 October 1979) is an Indian filmmaker and writer. After working in advertising for several years, she made her debut by directing the 2016 comedy drama Nil Battey Sannata. The film garnered critical acclaim and Tiwari went on to direct it's Tamil remake entitled Amma Kanakku. She had previously served as the Executive Creative Director at Leo Burnett before she moved on to pursue a filmmaking career. Tiwari won the Filmfare Award for Best Director for the 2017 comedy Bareilly Ki Barfi.
Early life and background
Ashwiny Iyer was born on 15 October 1979 to a Tamil Hindu family and grew up in the suburb of Mulund, Mumbai. She studied in St Marys Convent and did her higher studies from SIES college of commerce and economics. Inclined towards art, she managed to convince her mother to get into an art school. Her mother Lakshmi Subramanium was a principal of S.M.P.R school in Mulund. Ashwiny's family consists of husband writer-director Nitesh Tiwari and their twins.
A gold medalist in commercial arts from Sophia Polytechnic, Mumbai, Ashwiny spent 15 years in the advertising agency Leo Burnett (India). She won several awards like Cannes Lions, New York festival, One show, Promax and the Goafest Awards. She quit Leo Burnett to follow her passion in filmmaking.
Iyer won the Zee Cine Award 2017 for best Director for her directed film Bareilly ki Barfi. She made her first short film What's for Breakfast which won the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 2012. In 2016, she made her feature film debut with the comedy drama Nil Battey Sannata starring Swara Bhaskar. Released under the title of The New Classmate internationally, the film garnered critical acclaim and Tiwari was praised for her direction and sensitive handling of the subject matter. She remade the film in Tamil as Amma Kanakku which released on 24 June in the same year.
In the same year, Tiwari made the film Nil Battey Sannata which was produced by Colour Yellow productions (Aanand L Rai) in association with Jar Pictures and Opticus Inc. and presented by Eros International . She was inspired by the film she conceived for Kaun Banega Crorepati with Mr. Amitabh Bachchan which inspired many Indian viewers.
She was selected as one of the "Powerful Women in 2016" in the Femina poll. She was even a part of Grazia Women Achievers 2016. She was invited as a speaker at Tedx Bangalore 2016 to talk on women, films and empowering oneself. Apart from these, she has been invited to several colleges for talks on empowerment, films. Currently, apart from working on her next film, she is writing a book on a life journey. For this film, she won Filmfare Award for Best Debut Director at 2017 ceremony.
Iyer next directed the 2017 romantic comedy Bareilly Ki Barfi, for which she won the Filmfare Award for Best Director at the 2018 ceremony. Devesh Sharma praised the film in his four stars out of five for Filmfare; he praised Tiwari for her versatility and wrote that the film, "will give you ample laughs throughout and you’ll walk away from the theatre with a satisfied smile on your face." She signed a two-film deal with Ekta Kapoor 's Balaji Motion Pictures from which one she will direct and another she will produce along with Ekta.
- "Advertising's classic love stories: Nitesh Tiwari and Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, Marketing & Advertising News, ET BrandEquity". Brandequity.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2016-02-09. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Working with Aamir Khan dream come true for any director: Ashwini Iyer Tiwari". The Indian Express. 2016-04-20. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari bids adieu to Leo Burnett". Afaqs.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Screen Awards: Salman Khan and Shah Rukh co-host; Deepika presents 'Lifetime Achievement' to Rekha". Firstpost.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Grateful to Aanand L. Rai: 'Nil Battey Sannata' director Ashwini Iyer Tiwari". The Indian Express. 2016-05-19. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Swara Bhaskar, director Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari talk Nil Battey Sannata | more lifestyle". Hindustan Times. 2016-04-22. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Freja Dam (2015-10-09). "LFF 2015 Women Directors: Meet Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari – 'The New Classmate'". IndieWire. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- by aanews (2016-04-03). "'The New Classmate' tells the story of a mother's dream | Asian American Press". Aapress.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- BBala (2015-09-27). "Swara Bhaskar wins best actress title in China". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari on Nil Battey Sannata, star cast and more". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Dhanush persuaded Ashwiny to make Amma Kanakku". Deccanchronicle.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Nil Battey Sannata Movie Box office collection report 2016". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Share on FacebookShare on Twitter. "Swara Bhaskar: 'Nil Battey Sannata' trailer launched ". The Times of India. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "KBC: Star-struck". Afaqs.com. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- Jha, Subhash (22 January 2018). "Filmfare awards swing away from the expected, honour the unexpected". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 25 January 2018.
- "Movie Review: Bareilly Ki Barfi". Filmfare.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari.|