|Town of Provost|
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Provost No. 52|
|• Village||January 20, 1910|
|• Town||December 29, 1952|
|• Mayor||Ken Knox|
|• Governing body||Provost Town Council|
|• Total||4.93 km2 (1.90 sq mi)|
|Elevation||668 m (2,192 ft)|
|• Density||413.8/km2 (1,072/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−6)|
|Area code(s)||+1-780, +1-587|
Provost // is a town in central Alberta, Canada. It is located at the junction of Highway 13 and Highway 899, 19 km (12 mi) west of the Alberta-Saskatchewan border. It was originally named "Lakeview" but renamed by the Canadian Pacific Railway Land Department in 1907; the first train to the town was in 1910.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Provost had a population of 2,041 living in 777 of its 839 total dwellings, a −1.5% change from its 2006 population of 2,072. With a land area of 4.93 km2 (1.90 sq mi), it had a population density of 414.0/km2 (1,072.2/sq mi) in 2011.
In 2006, Provost had a population of 2,072 living in 832 dwellings, a 4.6% increase from 2001. The town has a land area of 4.93 km2 (1.90 sq mi) and a population density of 420.1/km2 (1,088/sq mi).
The economic bases of Provost are agricultural and oilfield.
There are two schools in Provost: Provost Public and St. Thomas Aquinas. Provost Public School has a student population of about 400 and is part of the Buffalo Trail Regional Division No. 28. St. Thomas Aquinas School has approximately 246 students and is part of the East Central Alberta Catholic Schools Regional Division No. 16.
The local newspaper that covers the town is The Provost News.
- Lance Bouma, professional hockey player.
- Curtis Glencross, professional hockey player.
- Don C. Laubman, commander Canadian Forces Europe.
- Norm Ullman, former professional hockey player.
- "Location and History Profile: Town of Provost" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 7, 2016. p. 499. Retrieved October 13, 2016.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- Senior Citizens Club of Provost (1977). Early furrows : a story of our early pioneers in Provost, Hayter, Bodo, Alberta and surrounding districts. p. 1.
- Statistics Canada. "Canada 2006 Census: Provost – Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "The Provost News". The Provost News. Retrieved 2012-07-29.