|Town of Wainwright|
|Nickname(s): Buffalo Capital of Canada|
|Census division||No. 7|
|Municipal district||Municipal District of Wainwright No. 61|
|Founded||1905 (as Denwood)
|• Mayor||Brian Bethune|
|• Governing Body||Wainwright Town Council|
|• MP||Leon Benoit|
|• MLA||Wes Taylor|
|• Total||8.91 km2 (3.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation||675 m (2,215 ft)|
|• Density||665.4/km2 (1,723/sq mi)|
|Time zone||MST (UTC−7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC−6)|
|Postal code span||T9W|
It is located on the north side of the Canadian National Railway, with CFB Wainwright (Denwood) located on the southwest side. The town lies 61 kilometres (38 mi) south of Vermilion, in the Battle River valley, along Highway 41, called the Buffalo Trail. Highway 14 also passes through this town. Wainwright is 206 kilometres (128 mi) southeast of Edmonton on Highway 14 and 69 kilometres (43 mi) west of the Alberta–Saskatchewan border.
The town was originally named Denwood, but was later relocated by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) west-northwest and renamed after General William Wainwright, the second vice-president of GTPR.
In the 2011 Census, the Town of Wainwright had a population of 5,925 living in 2,384 of its 2,577 total dwellings, a 9.2% change from its 2006 population of 5,426. With a land area of 8.91 km2 (3.44 sq mi), it had a population density of 665.0/km2 (1,722.3/sq mi) in 2011.
In 2006, Wainwright had a population of 5,426 living in 2,310 dwellings, a 6.0% increase from 2001. The town has a land area of 8.55 km2 (3.30 sq mi) and a population density of 634.6/km2 (1,644/sq mi).
Arts and culture
- Wainwright Elementary School
- Wainwright High School
- École Saint-Christophe
- Wainwright Campus
- CKKY-FM/K-Rock 101.9 – provides old and new rock music
- CKWY-FM/Wayne-FM – provides a mix of classic hits and top 40 music
- The Edge
- The Star (formerly the Star Chronicle) – published weekly on Tuesday
- Pat McCallum, Canadian curler
- Glen Sather, NHL player, coach, general manager and member of the Hockey Hall of Fame
- Lynn Seymour, ballerina
- Frank C. Turner, film and television actor, iconographer
- "Municipal Officials Search". Alberta Municipal Affairs. June 12, 2015. Retrieved June 15, 2015.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (Alberta)". Statistics Canada. 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-02-08.
- "Alberta Private Sewage Systems 2009 Standard of Practice Handbook: Appendix A.3 Alberta Design Data (A.3.A. Alberta Climate Design Data by Town)" (PDF) (PDF). Safety Codes Council. January 2012. pp. 212–215 (PDF pages 226–229). Retrieved October 9, 2013.
- "Population: Town of Wainwright Population Growth". Town of Wainwright. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "2011 Municipal Affairs Population List" (PDF). Alberta Municipal Affairs. October 5, 2010. Retrieved December 12, 2011.
- Statistics Canada. "Canada 2006 Census: Wainwright - Community Profile". Retrieved 2007-06-13.
- "Wainwright Stampede". Retrieved 2009-10-26.
- "Welcome...". Blessed Sacrament Outreach School. Retrieved 2012-01-19.