Jim Markham is an American hair stylist. He is the founder of four hair care companies– Markham, ABBA Pure and Natural, Pureology Serious Colour Care, and, most recently, ColorProof Evolved Color Care. He was also Jay Sebring's protege and successor of Sebring International.
Markham was born in Houston, Texas, the youngest of three children, and raised in Farmington, New Mexico. By the age of 15 he was married with a child and had dropped out of high school as a means to support his family. He attended Lubbock Barber School in Lubbock, Texas, and became a licensed hair stylist at the age of 16.
Markham began his career as a barber in Farmington, New Mexico, charging $1.50 per haircut. He began entering hair cutting and styling competitions, winning numerous awards including the Silver Medal in the Hair Olympics. In 1966, Markham went to Hollywood to meet Jay Sebring, a well known stylist to celebrities, to learn from Sebring's methodologies in hair styling. Later in 1966, Markham opened a Sebring franchise in Albuquerque, New Mexico distributing the Sebring Product Line in four states: New Mexico, Arizona, Texas and Utah.
After Sebring's death in 1969, Markham became President/CEO of Sebring International, and took over Sebring's celebrity clients,  which included Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Steve McQueen, Johnny Carson, and Frank Sinatra. Later, he became a product developer and entrepreneur.
In 1972, Markham, with the help of investors including British actor Peter Lawford founded Markham Products. Markham sold Markham Products in 1981.
ABBA Pure and Natural
In 1989 Markham founded ABBA Pure and Natural Hair Care. The brand started with four products and was one of the first 100% Vegan lines in the United States. Markham’s formulas for ABBA included extracts of plants, leaves, fruits, nuts and berries, with a spotlight on an environmental consciousness and a strong emphasis on education for salons and stylists in the professional beauty industry. Markham sold ABBA in 1997.
PureOlogy Serious Colour Care
In 2001, PureOlogy Serious Colour Care began as the result of developing sulfate/carcinogen free formulas products for a friend of Markham’s diagnosed with cancer and unable to find carcinogen-free beauty products. The company was founded in 2001 in Irvine, California. Within 3 years of its inception, PureOlogy passed the $25 million mark in sales.
ColorProof Evolved Color Care
In 2011, Markham founded ColorProof Evolved Color Care.
Markham has been the recipient of numerous awards including Entrepreneur of the Year for Ernst & Young for consumer products, and was inducted into their Hall of Fame as well as into the Professional Beauty Association’s (PBA) North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA) Hall of Leaders where he was acknowledged for his achievements within the Industry. Other awards include: 2002 Independent Cosmetic Manufacturers and Distributors (ICMAD) Entrepreneur of the Year, 2007 Orange County Business Journal Entrepreneur of the Year and 2012 Beauty Industry West Entrepreneur of the year. In addition to his career in the beauty industry, Markham also supports philanthropic causes. Over the years Markham has supported charities such as the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC), Habitat for Humanity, SeriousFun Children's Network (formerly known as Hole in the Wall Gang Camp) and City of Hope where Markham and his wife, Cheryl, were recognized with the Spirit of Life Award.
- "Success Came Naturally for ABBA Partners : They scratched their heads over criteria for 'the perfect shampoo.' Five years later, their company is among the fastest-growing in field. - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 1993-03-29. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "From Poverty to Running a Multi-Million-Dollar Hair-Care Empire". Fox Small Business Center. 2014-07-14. Retrieved 2014-07-15.
- "Interview: Jim Markham, from 60’s Star Stylist to CEO". Beauty Launchpad. 2014-04-22. Retrieved 2014-10-14.
- "Haircutter to the Stars - At $55 a Clip". The Washington Post.
- "Hair Stylist Takes Flyer for Customers". Youngstown Vindicator. 4 October 1977. Retrieved 11 November 2013.
- American Salon Magazine
- "How I Made My Millions Colorproof Hair Care". NBS. 10 June 2016.
- "Entrepreneur of the Year for Ernst & Young". behindthechair.com. 10 December 2007. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014.
- "Jim and Cheryl Markham Named Entrepreneurs of the Year by BIW". Modernsalon.com. 2012-06-18. Retrieved 2013-11-11.
- "City of Hope National Professional Salon Industry Spirit of Life Volunteer Leadership". Cityofhope.org. Archived from the original on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2013-11-11.