Rainbow Centre, Karachi
The Rainbow Centre is a shopping center in Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan. Rainbow Centre is located adjacent to the Empress Market, that is famous as the hub of video entertainment in Pakistan and the country's video piracy industry. Located in the area of Saddar, it is reported to be the largest CD and DVD market in Asia.
In 2000, it was estimated that more than half of the 350–400 shops housed in the Rainbow Centre were exclusively engaged in video piracy. Recent (2007–2009) bomb threats to the building have been attributed variously to a larger influence of the religious extremists; or to the commercial interests of the media piracy operations in the building.
- "Buying porn CDs, DVDs as easy as purchasing apple in Karachi". Thaindian.com. 15 April 2010.
- buyingporn cds dvds as easy as purchasing apples in karach – OneIndia
- "Piracy: Present copyright law is weak and needs to be strengthened". Pakistan Economist. 13–26 March 2000.
- Opinion piece, The News, 29 January 2009[dead link]
- "Rainbow Centre on its way to a major inferno". The Daily Times. 15 June 2007.
- "Rainbow Centre business bombs 60% in raid aftermath", Daily Times, 5 March 2006
- "Crackdown on CD trade to hit 0.4m people", Business News, 23 May 2005