James Reid (actor)
|Born||Robert James Reid
May 11, 1993
|Occupation||Actor, Dancer, Singer, Songwriter, Model, Endorser|
|Agent||Star Magic (2010–2012)
Viva Artists Agency
|Known for||Diary ng Panget
Talk Back and You're Dead
Para sa Hopeless Romantic
On the Wings of Love
Prince of Philippine TV
|Associated acts||Nadine Lustre|
Robert James Reid (born May 11, 1993) is a Filipino-Australian singer, actor, dancer, and songwriter with dual Filipino and Australian citizenship.He began acting professionally in the early 2010s after being named as the Big Winner of Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010, and rose to prominence in 2014 for his leading role in the film Diary ng Panget: The Movie. He has since starred in the movies Talk Back and You're Dead, Para sa Hopeless Romantic, and This Time. He also starred in the TV series' Good Vibes, On the Wings of Love, and Till I Met You.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Influences
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 See also
- 8 Notes
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Reid was born in Sydney, Australia, on May 11, 1993 to an Australian father, Robert Malcolm Reid, and a Filipino mother, Marcela Calicdan. He lived in Mosman, on the North Shore of Sydney. Reid has four brothers and three sisters. His mother Maria, is a former singer. His parents separated when he was only two years old, and Reid lived in Australia until he was 15. With only his father, Reid moved to the Philippines due to financial issues and his father needing some medical attention. Reid has stated before that he experienced difficulty adjusting to his new life in the Philippines, especially with the different academics and social skills, as well as language. Back in Australia, he was a gymnast and swimmer. He was then enrolled in Makati Science High School, but his father enrolled him in Karabar High School Distance Education Centre, an Australian distance-learning center located at Karabar, New South Wales, Australia.
2010: Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash
Reid was only 17 years old when he entered the Pinoy Big Brother house as one of the 10 Teenternational housemates on April 30, 2010 (Day 22). He celebrated his 17th birthday inside the house with his co-teenternational housemates giving him a surprise pool party. Reid was the only teenternational housemate who had Filipino blood. Reid was almost forced evicted twice during his stay inside the house. The first one occurred on May 21, 2010 (Day 43) when Reid was brought to the hospital due to chest pains, discoloration, and shortness of breath while the second one happened on June 1, 2010 (Day 53), when he was again brought to the hospital for the same health issues but this time together with fellow housemate Angelo Pasco. At first the doctors diagnosed Reid with costrochondritis (muscle pains in the rib/chest area) but during his second visit at the hospital the doctors found a hole in one of his lungs that is causing him difficulties in his breathing. After the complications, Reid was able to return to the Big Brother House, with conditions of having to rest frequently as well as wearing an oxygen tube for 1 week 24/7. One June 8, 2010 (Day 60), Reid was notified by the producers of Big Brother that he was no longer required to use the oxygen tube, he was only required to use it when he is sleeping.
On June 26, 2010 (Day 78), he was crowned as the Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010 Big Winner after receiving 179, 294 (19.75%) of the total votes just 1.05% ahead of the total votes received by the 2nd Teen Big Placer, Ryan Bang who got 169, 697 (18.70%) of the total votes, these marks as the closest race ever to become the Big Winner in the history of Pinoy Big Brother. As the Big Winner, Reid won P1,000,000 (plus the same amount to his chosen charity) from Jack n' Jill, a laptop computer from Sony Vaio, a 42-inch flat screen TV from Sony Bravia, an Asian tour package for two care of Von Dutch, P1,500,000 worth of bottled purified water business from Crystal Clear, and a condominium unit worth P3,000,000 courtesy of Globe Asiatique.
2011-2013: Career beginnings, Solo musical career
On July 24, 2011, Reid together with Bret Jackson launched their first digital EP entitled We Are Whatever on ASAP Rocks. Reid and Jackson featured four original songs including "Can't dance" featuring their co-housemates Ann Li and Fretzie Bercede.
Right after winning PBB, Reid was paired with his co-housemate Devon Seron in some ABS-CBN shows like Shoutout! and Good Vibes. He was offered a 2-year Star Magic contract with ABS-CBN. He was also paired with Yen Santos in Pintada.
In 2012, Reid left Star Magic and signed with Viva Artists Agency. A year later, he launched his self-titled debut album, with two covers and four original songs, two of which composed by Reid himself.
2014: Diary ng Panget and breakthrough success
In 2014, he starred in his launching movie Diary ng Panget together with Nadine Lustre, Yassi Pressman and Andre Paras. The movie was released on April 2, 2014 and became a box-office hit earning at least 119.5 million pesos during its 4-week run. He also lent his voice to the official soundtrack of the film.
On June 2, 2014, it was confirmed that he and Lustre would star in another film titled Talk Back and You're Dead together with Pressman and Joseph Marco. The film is also based on the best-selling book of the same name by Alesana Marie. The movie will be co-produced by Viva Films and Skylight Films. During its 4-week run the movie has grossed 79.8 million pesos according to Box Office Mojo. Just like in his previous film, he also lent his voice to the official soundtrack of the film.
On October 22, 2014, it was announced that he and Lustre will do another movie entitled Para sa Hopeless Romantic together with Julia Barretto, Iñigo Pascual, AJ Muhlach and Shy Carlos. The movie is based on a book written by Marcelo Santos III and will be under Viva Films and Skylight Films.
On August 26, 2014, Reid signed a two-year contract with ABS-CBN that marked his exclusivity to the network again after two years of freelancing and becoming a talent of Viva Artists Agency, as ABS-CBN gave him popularity. As part of the contract, Reid and his onscreen partner Nadine Lustre starred in their first TV series together as a loveteam entitled Wansapanataym Presents: My App #Boyfie which was also based on Wattpad story.
2015–2016: Reid Alert, On The Wings of Love, This Time, and Till I Met You
On January 2, 2015, Reid revealed that he will be releasing his second album within the year. The album will include songs collaborated with Canadian music producer Adam Hurstfield who has written and/or produced for artists such as Ashley Tisdale, Ne-Yo, Aly Michalka, Loverboy, Elise Estrada and many more. On January 10, Reid's new music video Huwag Ka Nang Humirit composed by Thyro Alfaro and Yumi Lacsamana was premiered in Viva's YouTube channel. After its upload, the music video began trending in social media and went viral in less than a week in the Philippine internet and Blogosphere.
On January 21, 2015, the music video of the song entitled "Hanap Hanap" premiered in MTV Pinoy. The song will as his fourth collaboration with Nadine Lustre after "No Erase", "Rocketeer" and "Bahala Na". It will also be used as the themesong of his upcoming movies with Lustre entitled such as 'Diary Ng Panget' 'Talk Back You're Dead' and 'Para sa Hopeless Romantic.
Reid's second album Reid Alert was released on Valentine's Day of 2015 by Viva Records. It debuted at #2 in Philippine iTunes pop music album charts behind Taylor Swift's 1989. On January 28, 2016, he released "Randomantic", the third single from Reid Alert.
On February 20, 2016, Reid and his on-screen and real life partner, Nadine Lustre, had their first major concert titled "JaDine In Love" at the Smart Araneta Coliseum. Due to the clamor of JaDine fans overseas, Reid and Lustre will be holding a JaDine Love World Tour presented by TFC in March. They will visit Doha, Dubai, London and Milan.
In June 2016, it was announced that Reid and Lustre will be making their small screen comeback through the series, Till I Met You. They will be joined by JC Santos, Angel Aquino, Carmina Villaroel, and Zoren Legaspi.
2017–present: Palm Dreams
In March 2017, it has been confirmed that James' upcoming third studio album is titled "Palm Dreams". James stated that he wrote the lyrics for most of the tracks alongside long time friend, Paulo Tiongson, who is a rapper and music producer in the Philippines.
Reid is an avid listener of R&B music, he cites Chris Brown as an early influence for him. He also has a taste in Pop rock and Alternative pop genre of music, he listens to Maroon 5 and The Script with some inspired influence as evident for inclination during his live performances.
|2011||Maynila Presents: Loving Your Own||Alvin||
|Good Vibes||Spencer Ziff||
|2012||Precious Hearts Romances Presents: Pintada||Vito|
|2014||Wansapanataym Presents: My App #Boyfie||Joe|
|2015||Maalaala Mo Kaya: Stuffed Toy||Marrion "Yong" Gopez|
|2015-2016||On The Wings of Love||Clark Medina|
|2016-2017||Till I Met You||Sebastian "Basti" Valderama|
|2011||On Thin Ice||Paul Ruiz||Short Film
De La Salle University
|2014||Diary ng Panget||Cross Sandford||Viva Films|
|Talk Back and You're Dead||Timothy "Top" Odelle Pendleton||Viva Films
|Relaks, It's Just Pag-Ibig||Josh's classmate||Spring Films|
|The Amazing Praybeyt Benjamin||Himself (cameo role)||Star Cinema
|2015||Para sa Hopeless Romantic||Nikko John Borja|
|Beauty and the Bestie||Tristan Adams|
|2016||This Time||Coby Martinez||Viva Films|
|2010||Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010||Housemate / Big Winner||
|2010||Shoutout!||Host / Performer|
Awards and nominations
- James’ ex-GF: It was a bad break-up. philstar.com. Published on 2014-10-30. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- Why James Reid broke up with ex-GF. ABS-CBN News. Published on 2014-11-01. Retrieved 2017-07-20.
- How James asked Nadine to be his girlfriend? ABS-CBN News. Published on 2016-02-23.
- Nadine on relationship with James: We've grown. ABS-CBN News. Published on 2017-02-21.
- "PBB's James Reid defends self against critics". abs-cbnnews.com. July 2, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- ""Reid Alert" (EP album) on iTunes". iTunes. Viva Records. Retrieved February 14, 2015.
- "Viva Artists Agency – James Reid Profile". vivaartistsagency.ph. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "PBB'S Fil-Aussie teen winner James Reid bares story behind move to the Philippines". philstar.com. October 14, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "James Reid's PBB profile". teens3.pinoybigbrother.com. Archived from the original on October 24, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Meet the 10 Teenternational housemates of Pinoy Big Brother Teen Clash of 2010". pep.ph. May 5, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "James Reid wins Pinoy Big Brother Teen Clash of 2010". pep.ph. June 27, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "James Reid is Pinoy Big Brother Big Winner". manilyntingcang.com. June 27, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2013.
- "PBB Big Winner James Reid on his victory: I'm still in shocked". abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "We Are Whatever – EP (2011)". iTunes. Star Records and iTunes. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- ABS-CBN Corporate Communications (July 30, 2011). "PBB's James Reid and Brett Jackson release their first album under Star Records". Push (ABS-CBN). ABS-CBN. Event occurs at 4:04 AM. Retrieved June 28, 2016.
- "We Are Whatever (WAW) – TwitMusic". Archived from the original on 2014-09-03.
- "ABS-CBN "Shoutout!" groups". coolbuster.net. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Kapamilyalogy: Meet the whole "Shoutout!" cast". kapamilyalogy.blogspot.com. November 23, 2010. Archived from the original on December 24, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "ABS-CBN Shoutout! Kapamilya". abscbnshoutout.blogspot.com. January 16, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- ""Shoutout!" aims to train the next generation of stars". pep.ph. November 30, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "The Cast of 'Good Vibes' 2011". philippineshow.blogspot.com. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Will James Reid and Devon Seron have their first onscreen kiss on Good Vibes?". pep.ph. July 8, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Ex-PBB Teen Clash housemates James Reid, Bret Jackson, and Ivan Dorschner are not in a rush to get their breaks in showbiz". blogphilippines.com. October 21, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Young stars make their move in "Good Vibes"". celebrity.yahoo.com. March 30, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Devon Seron To Choose Between James Reid Or Ivan Dorschner". entervrexworld.com. August 2, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Devon Seron To Finally Choose Between James and Ivan". philstar.com. August 7, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Poll Update: James Reid Is Currently The Best Choice For Devon Seron Against Ivan Dorschner For Good Vibes Finale!". entervrexworld.com. August 23, 2011. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "Where is PBB's James Reid now?". abs-cbnnews.com. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "James Reid IMDB Profile". imdb.com. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "James Reid is the new pop heartthrob!". Viva ph. September 12, 2013. Archived from the original on August 13, 2014. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- "PBB winner James Reid records solo album". Viva. July 5, 2013. Archived from the original on July 14, 2014.
- "Main cast of the movie adaption of "Diary ng Panget" revealed". Pinoy Movie. February 22, 2014. Archived from the original on August 14, 2014.
- "Pinoy Big Brother Big Winner stars in viral "Diary ng Panget" trailer". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. March 22, 2014.
- "Cast of "Diary ng Panget" are future big stars". Archived from the original on 2014-04-08.
- Ricky Lo (March 27, 2014). "Andre & James: Diary ng mga Pogi". Philippine Star.
- "Trailer: ‘Diary ng Panget’ featuring James Reid and Nadine Lustre". Pinoy Movie. March 23, 2014.
- ""Diary ng Panget" a box office hit". Manila Standard Today. April 8, 2014.
- "Viva Films' "Diary ng Panget" is now the 3rd highest grossing film in the Philippines for 2014".
- "Diary ng Panget (Original Movie Soundtrack)".
- Ruel J.Mendoza (June 2, 2014). "James Reid and Nadine Lustre paired anew for the big screen". Philippine Entertainment Portal.
- "Talk Back and You're Dead Philippines Box Office". Box Office Mojo.
- "Bahala Na by James Reid and Nadine Lustre". Viva. August 15, 2014.
- "James Reid, Nadine Lustre, Julia Barretto and Iñigo Pascual to topbill "Para sa Hopeless Romantic"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. October 22, 2014.
- Marsh Abante (October 22, 2014). "JaDine 'Para sa Hopeless Romantic'". Viva.
- "Para Sa Hopeless Romantic Trailer". Star Cinema. February 28, 2015.
- "'Diary ng Panget' stars join ABS-CBN". abs-cbnnews.com. August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- "James Reid and Nadine Lustre deny competing with Kathryn Bernardo and Daniel Padilla". push.abs-cbn.com. August 26, 2014. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- "JaDine gets first Kapamilya project". starcinema.abs-cbn.com. September 4, 2014. Retrieved September 4, 2014.
- "MY APP BOYFIE Full Trailer". youtube.com. September 20, 2014. Retrieved September 21, 2014.
- "My App Boyfie (OT)". abs-cbnnews.com. September 1, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "Nadine and James stars on My App Boyfie". Veooz. September 1, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- "James, itinangging nililigawan ang kapatid ni Kim Chiu". ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs. January 2, 2015.
- "Adam H. Produces 1st single for Australian Superstar James Reid!". XOXO Ent. November 10, 2014.
- "VIRAL: James Reid wows as 'total performer' in music video". ABS-CBN. January 16, 2015.
- "Huwag Ka Nang Humirit". Viva. January 9, 2015.
- "James, Nadine get sweet in 'Hanap-Hanap' music video". ABS-CBN. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- "ShowbizNest: Music Video: Hanap Hanap by James Reid and Nadine Lustre". ShowbizNest. January 22, 2015. Retrieved January 21, 2015.
- "Randomantic - James Reid (Official Music Video)". OPM Tambayan. January 28, 2016.
- Kristhoff Cagape (28 June 2016). "James Reid and Nadine Lustre play a married couple in new series". Push.
Pinoy Big Brother: Double Up
|Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010 Big Winner
Pinoy Big Brother: Unlimited
Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition Plus
|Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Clash 2010 Big Winner
Pinoy Big Brother: Teen Edition 4