||This article needs to be updated. (August 2016)|
Satellite view of Roden Crater, the site of an earthwork in progress by James Turrell outside Flagstaff, Arizona.
|Elevation||5,443 ft (1,659 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||470 ft (143 m) |
|Location||Coconino County, Arizona, U.S.|
|Topo map||USGS Roden Crater|
|Volcanic field||San Francisco volcanic field|
Roden Crater is a cinder cone type of volcanic cone from an extinct volcano, with a remaining interior volcanic crater. It is located northeast of the city of Flagstaff in northern Arizona, United States.
The artist James Turrell, for his land art project, acquired the 400,000-year-old, 3-mile-wide (4.8 km) crater's land. Turrell has since been transforming the inner cone of the crater into a massive naked-eye observatory, designed specifically for viewing and experiencing sky-light, solar, and celestial phenomena. The fleeting winter and summer solstice events will be highlighted.
The Dia Art Foundation is continuing to advocate for the development of James Turrell's Roden Crater project in the Painted Desert in Arizona which was begun in the 1970s with Dia's support. James Turrell, who purchased the Roden Crater in 1979, had plans to open the crater for public viewing in 2011.
- Land Arts of the American West
- Environmental art
- Environmental sculpture
- Site-specific art
- Land art
- List of cinder cones
- "Grand Falls". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- "Roden Crater AZ". ListsOfJohn.com. Retrieved 2016-08-22.
- http://www.lasersol.com/art/turrell/roden_crater.html Roden Crater project info
- Brown, Jullia. "Occluded Front, James Turrell". The Lapis Press. 1985. ISBN 978-0-932499-10-3 cloth, ISBN 0-932499-11-2 paper ---official Turrell-Roden Crater book
- http://www.diacenter.org/contents/page/101/102 Dia Art Foundation
- https://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/25/arts/design/25fink.html?ref=arts 11/25/2007-New York Times article
- Roden Crater, U.S. Geological Survey
- IUAV-College of Architecture: Animation of Roden Crater project
- Web site for the Roden Crater
- JamesTurrell.com Roden Crater section: includes site plan, chamber photos and Celestial Event visualizer
|This Arizona state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|