|Developer(s)||The Roundcube Team|
1.3.8 / October 26, 2018
|License||GNU General Public License v3+ with exceptions for skins and plugins |
Roundcube is a web-based IMAP email client. Roundcube's most prominent feature is the pervasive use of Ajax technology. After about two years of development, the first stable release of Roundcube was announced in early 2008.
Roundcube is written in PHP and can be employed in conjunction with a LAMP "stack", or any other operating systems that support PHP are supported as well. The web server needs access to the IMAP server hosting the email and to an SMTP server to be able to send messages.
On May 3, 2015, Roundcube announced that they plan a complete rewrite of Roundcube called Roundcube Next. A crowd funding was set up to finance the project. The goal of $80,000 was reached on June 24. The final stand was $103,541. Roundcube Next will also include additional features like calendar, chat and file management. This will be implemented using WebRTC and connectors from popular services like Dropbox and OwnCloud.
- Ajax technology spread throughout the user interface. Such as drag-&-drop message management.
- Multilingual with over 70 languages
- Connects to any IMAPv4 server
- Encrypted TLSv1.2 connection to IMAP server using PHP5.6 SSL/TLS libraries
- Full support for MIME and HTML messages
- Sophisticated privacy protection
- Compose Richtext/HTML messages with attachments
- Multiple sender identities
- Threaded message listing
- IDNA support
- Full-featured address book based on vCard with group support
- LDAP directory integration for address books
- Find-as-you-type address book integration
- Forwarding messages with attachments
- Built-in caching for fast mailbox access
- Searching messages and contacts
- Spell checking
- Support for external SMTP server
- Support for shared/global folders and IMAP ACLs
- IMAP folder management
- Template system for custom themes
- Canned response templates
- Three column (widescreen) mailbox view
Roundcube is used by a number of universities to provide email services to students and staff such as Sanger Institute Tata Institute of Social Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, University of Florida, Harvard University, University of Utah, University of Oregon, Stevens Institute of Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, the University of Cambridge, the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, and Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras. In a 2009 interview, two of Roundcube's core developers noted that the largest deployment to that date that they were aware of was at the University of Michigan with 70,013 students. Roundcube is also used in the Kolab Now service which supports its further development.
Roundcube Webmail IMAP client was incorporated into epesiBIM (epesi Business Information Manager), a web-based, open source CRM-like application.
In 2013, Iran's Ministry of ICT launched the national email service at mail.post.ir which is using Roundcube.
Roundcube Webmail is designed to run on standard web servers such as Apache, LiteSpeed, Nginx, Lighttpd, Hiawatha or Cherokee in conjunction with a relational database engine. Supported databases are MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite. The user interface is rendered in XHTML and CSS and is fully customizable with skins.
With version 0.3 Roundcube introduced a plug-in API which allows non-standard features to be added without the need to modify the source code. A variety of plug-ins are available from the Plugin Repository.
- "Dev_Members - Roundcube Webmail - Trac". Trac.roundcube.net. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Update 1.3.8 released". 26 October 2018. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Changeset 5787 - Roundcube Webmail". Archived from the original on 2012-04-26.
- "Tweet from @roundcubenext".
- "Roundcube Next at Indiegogo".
- "RoundCube Webmail". tiss.edu/. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "RoundCube Webmail". seas.upenn.edu. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Welcome to RoundCube Webmail". Spl.harvard.edu. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "University of Utah, College of Engineering Webmail".
- "University of Oregon Webmail".
- "MyMail - ITwiki". Stevens.edu. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Computing Service News: New Hermes Webmail". Computing Service, University of Cambridge. 2013-07-03. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Subhashis Banerjee (2011-09-04). "Roundcube webmail". Computer Services Centre, IIT Delhi, http://www.cc.iitd.ernet.in/CSC/. Retrieved 2014-02-05. External link in
- "Roundcube: the world's coolest Open Source webmail project? - Open For Business - Blogs - Technology Blog and Community from IT Experts - Techworld.com". Blogs.techworld.com. 2009-11-20. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Host Gator Adds RoundCube | WHIR Web Hosting Industry News". Thewhir.com. Archived from the original on 2009-07-09. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- OVH. "Webmail: RoundCube Guide - OVH". www.ovh.com. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "OS X Lion Server - Technical Specifications". Apple. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-19.