|Developer(s)||The Roundcube Team|
1.4.11 / February 8, 2021
1.5-beta / February 25, 2021
|License||GNU General Public License v3+ with exceptions for skins and plugins |
Roundcube is a web-based IMAP email client. Roundcube's most prominent feature is the pervasive use of Ajax technology. Roundcube is free and open-source software subject to the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL), with exceptions for skins and plugins.
After about two years of development the first stable release of Roundcube was announced in early 2008.
Roundcube is written in PHP and can be employed in conjunction with a LAMP stack, or any other operating systems that support PHP are supported as well. The web server needs access to the IMAP server hosting the email and to an SMTP server to be able to send messages.
Roundcube Webmail is designed to run on standard web servers such as Apache, LiteSpeed, Nginx, Lighttpd, Hiawatha or Cherokee in conjunction with a relational database engine. Supported databases are MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQLite. The user interface is rendered in XHTML and CSS and is fully customizable with skins.
Starting with version 0.3, Roundcube introduced a plug-in API which allows non-standard features to be added without the need to modify the source code. A variety of plug-ins are available from the Plugin Repository.
Project "Roundcube Next"
On 3 May 2015, Roundcube announced, in partnership with Kolab Systems AG, that they planned to completely rewrite Roundcube and create Roundcube Next. A crowdfunding campaign was set up to finance the project. The goal of $80,000 was reached on June 24. The final amount raised was US$103,541.
Roundcube Next was intended to include additional features like calendar, chat and file management. This was to be implemented using WebRTC and connectors from popular services like Dropbox and OwnCloud.
However, Kolab Systems and Roundcube stopped development on the project in 2016, with no information or refunds provided to project backers, leading to a failed crowdfund. A Roundcube developer later claimed Roundcube had no ownership over the Roundcube Next campaign, despite its public engagement and ownership on the crowdfund page.
- Ajax technology spread throughout the user interface, allowing features such as drag-and-drop message management
- Multilingual with over 70 languages
- Connects to any IMAPv4 server
- Encrypted TLSv1.2 connection to IMAP server using PHP5.6 SSL/TLS libraries
- Full support for MIME and HTML messages
- Sophisticated privacy protection
- Compose Richtext/HTML messages with attachments
- Multiple sender identities
- Threaded message listing
- IDNA support
- Full-featured address book based on vCard with group support
- LDAP directory integration for address books
- Find-as-you-type address book integration
- Forwarding messages with attachments
- Built-in caching for fast mailbox access
- Searching messages and contacts
- Spell checking
- Support for external SMTP server
- Support for shared/global folders and IMAP ACLs
- IMAP folder management
- Template system for custom themes
- Canned response templates
- Three column (widescreen) mailbox view
Roundcube is used by a number of universities to provide email services to students and staff such as Sanger Institute Tata Institute of Social Sciences, University of Florida, Harvard University, University of Utah, University of Oregon, Stevens Institute of Technology, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, the University of Cambridge, the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi,Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata and Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras.
In a 2009 interview, two of Roundcube's core developers noted that the largest deployment to that date that they were aware of was at the University of Michigan with 70,013 students. Roundcube is also used in the Kolab Now service which supports its further development.
CPanel includes Roundcube, as a result of which many hosting companies around the world such as HostGator, Media Temple, Gandi, OVH and others use RoundCube. Roundcube Webmail IMAP client was also incorporated into epesiBIM (epesi Business Information Manager), a web-based, open source CRM-like application.
In 2013, Iran's Ministry of ICT launched the national email service at mail.post.ir which used Roundcube. Synology Inc.'s DiskStation Manager (DSM) uses Roundcube for their Mail Station package. 
- "Dev_Members - Roundcube Webmail - Trac". Trac.roundcube.net. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Releases · roundcube/roundcubemail". github.com. Retrieved 2021-04-28.
- "Changeset 5787 - Roundcube Webmail". Archived from the original on 2012-04-26.
- "Tweet from @roundcubenext".
- "Roundcube Next at Indiegogo".
- "In 2018, RoundCube Next Remains Dead In The Water - Phoronix". www.phoronix.com. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "What about Roundcube Next? · Issue #6030 · roundcube/roundcubemail". GitHub. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "Roundcube Next". Indiegogo. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- "RoundCube Webmail". tiss.edu/. Retrieved 2013-06-13.
- "Welcome to RoundCube Webmail". Spl.harvard.edu. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "University of Utah, College of Engineering Webmail".
- "University of Oregon Webmail".
- "MyMail - ITwiki". Stevens.edu. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Computing Service News: New Hermes Webmail". Computing Service, University of Cambridge. 2013-07-03. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- "IITD Webmail :: Welcome to IITD Webmail". webmail.iitd.ac.in. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- "WebMail IITB :: Welcome to WebMail IITB". webmail.iitb.ac.in. Retrieved 2020-03-16.
- Subhashis Banerjee (2011-09-04). "Roundcube webmail". www.cc.iitd.ernet.in/CSC/. Computer Services Centre, IIT Delhi. Retrieved 2014-02-05.
- "Roundcube: the world's coolest Open Source webmail project? - Open For Business - Blogs - Technology Blog and Community from IT Experts - Techworld.com". Blogs.techworld.com. 2009-11-20. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2011-09-19.
- "Host Gator Adds RoundCube | WHTop News". WHTop.com.
- OVH. "Webmail: RoundCube Guide - OVH". www.ovh.com. Retrieved 2017-02-07.
- "OS X Lion Server - Technical Specifications". Apple. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-19.