|Member of the Sri Lankan Parliament
for Jaffna District
|Political party||Illankai Tamil Arasu Kachchi|
|Tamil National Alliance|
|Alma mater||University of Jaffna|
|Ethnicity||Sri Lankan Tamil|
Early life and family
Shritharan was one the Tamil National Alliance's candidates for Jaffna District at the 2010 parliamentary election. He was elected and entered Parliament. He was re-elected at the 2015 parliamentary election.
On 7 March 2011 Shritharan was traveling in a van from Kilinochchi to Colombo to attend a meeting of Parliament the following day. Traveling with Sritharan in the van were three others including a police guard. At around 5.30pm the van was on the A12 highway near Nochchiyagama, Anuradhapura District, when three men standing by a white van parked on the roadside pulled out guns and started shooting at Shritharan's van. The men also threw hand grenades at the van. Sritharan's police guard fired back, forcing the attackers to flee in their white van which had no number plates. No one was hurt in the incident. Shritharan has blamed the Eelam People's Democratic Party, a government backed paramilitary group, for the assassination attempt. The EPDP has been implicated in a number of assassinations. Speaker Chamal Rajapaksa has ordered an investigation into the assassination attempt.
|2010 parliamentary||Jaffna District||TNA||10,057||Elected|
|2015 parliamentary||Jaffna District||TNA||72,058||Elected|
- "Directory of Members: S. Shritharan". Parliament of Sri Lanka.
- "Jaffna Hindu celebrated Children's Day, MP Sritharan was the chief guest". Jaffna Hindu College. 1 November 2012.
- "TNA's Sritharan Top Scorer". Ceylon Today. 20 August 2015. pp. A4.
- "SLA soldiers obstruct ITAK candidate from campaigning in Ki'linochchi". TamilNet. 12 March 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Parliamentary General Election - 2010 Jaffna Preferences" (PDF). Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- "PART I : SECTION (I) — GENERAL Government Notifications PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS ACT, No. 1 OF 1981" (PDF). The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka Extraordinary. 1928/03. 19 August 2015.
- "Ranil tops with over 500,000 votes in Colombo". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 19 August 2015.
- "Preferential Votes". Daily News (Sri Lanka). 19 August 2015.
- "TNA MP’s car shot at". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka). 8 March 2011.
- "TNA MP Sritharan narrowly escapes assassination in Anuradhapura". TamilNet. 7 March 2011.
- Jeyaraj, D. B. S. (12 March 2011). "ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON TNA PARLIAMENTARIAN SRITHARAN". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).
- Indrajith, Saman (8 March 2011). "Speaker says will have attack on TNA MP probed". The Island (Sri Lanka).
- Jayakody, Pradeep (28 August 2015). "The Comparison of Preferential Votes in 2015 & 2010". The Daily Mirror (Sri Lanka).