Administrative building of the university
|Sathyabama Institute of Science & Technology, Sathyabama Engineering College|
|Motto||justice, Peace, Revolution|
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic (Latin Church)|
|Chancellor||Mrs. Remibai Jeppiaar|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr. K. V. Narayanan|
|Registrar||Dr. S. S. Rau|
|Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Campus||Suburban, 134 acres (540,000 m2) |
|Sports||Basketball, volleyball, football, cricket, tennis, Wrestling , hockey.|
Sathyabama University is a private university at Chennai in Tamil Nadu, India, founded in 1987 as Sathyabama Engineering College by Jeppiaar. It was formerly known as Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology (SIST). The university is headed by Mrs.Remibai Jeppiaar. It is a Christian minority institution.
The university is in Sholinganallur about 15 kilometers from Adyar in Chennai. It has a sprawling campus of 170 acres. The university is located on Rajiv Gandhi Salai (formerly known as Old Mahabalipuram Road and popularly known as IT Corridor).
Accreditation and certification
Sathyabama University delivers education through the following academic departments for undergraduate courses awarding degrees in B.E/B.Tech/B.Arch/BDS.
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Computer Science Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Department of Electronic Science
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Automobile Engineering
- Department of Aeronautical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of BioTechnology Engineering
- Department of BioInformatics Engineering
- Department of BioMedical Engineering
- Department of Dental Sciences
- Department of Bachelor of Architecture
The university also provides part-time B.E degree in main branches (weekend classes)(under UGC act 1956) for working professionals to improve their career growth.
In addition, Sathyabama University offers the following courses for Master's degrees:
- M.E. - Computer Science and Engineering
- M.E. - Power Electronics
- M.E. - Embedded Systems
- M.E. - Applied Electronics
- M.E. - Electronics and Control Engineering
- M.E. - Thermal Engineering
- M.E. - Computer Aided Design
- M.E. - Structural Engineering
- M.E. - Environmental Engineering
- Ph.D in all disciplines
The university has a sprawling campus of 300 acres with an entrance consisting of an enormous arch with single dome on top. Inside the dome there is a statue of the Blessed Virgin. The arch bears the Sathyabama University crest with the motto "Justice, Peace, Revolution".
The university has a central library having books and journals. It has an e-library as well. The university's central library also has number of conference rooms, a wifi zone, a placement cells. The university has medical rooms. The Sathyabama General Hospital and Dental College is also in the campus. Sathyabama University has a reverse osmosis plant for water supply. It has around 125 classrooms with separate blocks for labs and departments. The university has drawing halls, conference halls and auditoriums both AC and non-AC. It has MAC media lab in the Department of Information Technology which exclusively holds MAC computers.A large guest house is on the campus for special visitors.Bank,ATM and post office is also available.
The University campus has more than 15 centres, Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Centre for Bio resource Research and Development(C-BIRD), Centre for Ocean Research Centre for Drug Discovery and Development, Centre for Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics, Centre for Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Centre for Climate Change Studies, Centre for Water Research, Centre for Laboratory Animal Research, Centre for Advanced Electronic Test Engineering, Centre for Waste Management, IBM Centre for Excellence, Village Resource Centre, Centre for Space Technology etc.
Sathyabama University offers visits to companies. Some of the activities like Industrial Visit, Inplant Training, Advisory Bureau for Higher Studies, Entrepreneur Development Cell, Guest Lectures, Foreign Language Classes.
Centre for nanoscience and nanotechnology
The Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology was established in January 2006 at the University campus to accomplish the goal of enhancing advanced research in the Energy, Environment, Health Science and Information Technology .The Centre is upgraded in 2011 with Advanced research Instrumentation facilities like FE-SEM, XRD,E-beam, DC thermal, RF, AFM, PLD, etc. The centre is having a team of Scientists working in the area of Material Sciences, Thin Film Coatings, Nanofabrications, Environmental Nanotechnology, Concrete Research, Marine Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology and Molecular Medicine, Nanomedical Sciences and Drug Discovery, Polymer Chemistry etc.
The institution provides approximately 250 buses for use by students and staff members for daily commutes to and from the city and its suburbs. Buses are operated free of cost on all days throughout the week. Students are not permitted to use other modes of public or private transport in order to avoid being late to classes.
- "About Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2017. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "NAAC Peer Team Draft Report of 2006". NAAC Peer Team. 25–27 September 2006. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Deemed University Status". University Grants Commission (India). 16 July 2001. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Reaching Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "NAAC Accreditation for Universities in Tamil Nadu". National Assessment and Accreditation Council. 2007. Archived from the original on January 6, 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "ISO Certification". Sathyabama University. 6 October 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Departments at Sathyabama University". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
- "Sathyabama Universitiy - The Basic Information that you need to know".
- "Sathyabama University Facilities". Sathyabama University. 2009. Retrieved 21 January 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sathyabama University.|